Just a few questions on bikes and Thailand

Derek M

I have seen, due to size and pretty darn sure of it a little 50CC scooter style bike here. WHere can I buy one for new, automatic gears and automatic start?

It is just for buzzing around the city, greater fuel economy vs 125cc?

Also, looking for a bigger bike, bigger than 125cc but not too heavy and not too powerful, something for longer journeys mountains and so on. Again scooter style. Automatic gears and auto start.I just cant find them or see them in my local Honda or Yamahaa dealership. In Spain I know we can get 350cc scooter style.

I have busted knee, semi paralysed in my ankle (cant change gears) and cant kick start due to lack of strength in my leg.

Appreciated a price range in THB for new, brand new.

Also why do these 125CC only have small fuel tanks, like 2.5liter? I have owned bikes else where similar size and smaller but greater fuel capacity like 6-7 liters.

New 50cc auto-scooter …no hab.

Consider electric?

Not a bad idea just for buzzing around in never go more than 20kms single journey also considering one with more umph for them hills and longer journeys.

Does Honda have a scooter style 250cc auto gears and auto start?

How much will electric scooter set me back here and what is the range in KM's between recharges? how long to charge up?

checked a few months ago for the Forza, still 159.000 but free insurance, book etc.

50cc scooter? don't bother, its too dangerous on the streets with something like here here (My opinion yes).

A new 110 or 125 can be bought easily here for good prices and you have more power to get you out of tricky situations and to go along with the traffic flow.

I have a SYM - Bolwell 50cc Red Devil. It will do 70k flat out but happier at 50-60. Not that stable at very slow speeds when turning oddly - small wheels. Very easy to ride - very reliable, very cheap to buy maintain and very cheap to run. Very strong motor. Lots of room with a top box. Great for places like the inner moat or very local. On the Ring road etc I would not like to try it. Too slow. But I really like mine. For the real stuff we have a Burgman 650 which an expensive brute of a machine. I also have Sym 250 which is quite a big bike and picking up an Aprilia 200 this weekend which is a great step through with a bit of grunt but very expensive. I also have a Honda CT110 which is a very reliable little bike but the semi auto takes a bit of getting used to but I like the big wheels. I actually think the Yamaha versions of this bike are better and more powerful. But the 50cc has a place for those couple of k trips through the back streets. I really like the SYM - there is a dealer up near the rail station. They are Taiwan company with a great reputation. The Yamaha s and Hondas are great bikes also but you do pay for the name. Of all the bikes I have ridden and I am sure there are many TV subscribers with more experience than I have who would disagree, I found the Yamahas and Aprilia to have the grunt and the Sym to be the best value (But Sym are not big in Thailand - this could be a real down side). The Suzuki Burgman is magnificent on the open road as you have power and the size to dominate a lane but it is a nightmare in the city congestion. I am coming round to the 135 - 200 size as the best as modern machines can keep up and even get ahead of traffic and are small enough to be nippy and easy to park etc. Step through is a real boon but avoid cheap, larger motored step through that are not top brands (cheap Chinese for example) as they are not stiff enough in the frame and in my opinion can be downright dangerous.

At the end of the day get a good brand and pay as much as you are able + a bit more and it will be worth it. Get a real helmet and wear it. I always wear gloves, a jacket, long trousers and proper shoes and a reflective safety vest. The latter has saved me more than a few times. I know I look a prat but at least I am a living prat. Drive to stay alive!

All this is just my opinion and I am no expert.

honda click, moove, yamaha fino, filano, mio all between 110and 125cc around 50,000 baht + for 125cc

honda pcx 150 cc about 77,000 baht a little bigger and better for open roads. here - http://www.checkraka.com/price/motorcycle-15-157/?brand=134&model=10362

honda sh150i about 100,000 baht here - http://www.checkraka.com/price/motorcycle-15-157/%E0%B8%AE%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%94%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2-Honda-SH150i-Standard-%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B5-2013-1440779/

Yamaha tricity a 2 wheel at the front 125cc 3 wheeler about 90,000 baht here - http://www.checkraka.com/price/motorcycle-15-157/?brand=137&model=18714

all the above are twist and go auto's others have mentioned forza

I had an electric bike, needs charging everyday maybe 25km, between charge, batteries are expensive to change maybe yearly,

Thanks guys 50CC crossing my mind was exactly what poster aboves says back streets buzzing around in for short trips. Had a Piaggio in Spain great for that.

A 50CC will defo keep up with pace of trafic around the moat in CM.

A car defo better for longer trips if leg is not 100% but not so easy to operate peadles with 50% mobility in right ankle and 50% in the knee. I just dont fancy these right hand drives at all! Might stick with the 125 (Honda scoopy injection) 48k new

And look for a tad more umph for trips up the mountains 300 Forza a bit heavy, too heavy if with a passanger.

How much more power difference is there between a 125CC and say 150CC? for longer trips and up hill driving?

is 175 or 200CC available here..I do like my hondas,Scooter style Autogears and electronic ignition

Thanks guys 50CC crossing my mind was exactly what poster aboves says back streets buzzing around in for short trips. Had a Piaggio in Spain great for that.

A 50CC will defo keep up with pace of trafic around the moat in CM.

A car defo better for longer trips if leg is not 100% but not so easy to operate peadles with 50% mobility in right ankle and 50% in the knee. I just dont fancy these right hand drives at all! Might stick with the 125 (Honda scoopy injection) 48k new

And look for a tad more umph for trips up the mountains 300 Forza a bit heavy, too heavy if with a passanger.

How much more power difference is there between a 125CC and say 150CC? for longer trips and up hill driving?

is 175 or 200CC available here..I do like my hondas,Scooter style Autogears and electronic ignition

I admit the Forza is a bit on the heavy side, but trust me, it has plenty of power for up and down the mountains, even with a passenger, providing you don't have a combined weight of 175+ kilograms. lol.

How much diff between a 125cc and 150cc? Bought the first model of PCX (125cc). Later sold it and bought the 150cc model. The 150 definitely has more zip to it, while still maintaining the easy maneuverability of the 125. For around town, the PCX is great, but on the road, like from Chiang Mai to Lampang (90 kilometers), the Forza is much, much better. Then again, I still my my CBR 250, that I had to sell when I had my stroke. Now looking at a new CB300f sometime around June or July, hopefully.

Suggestion, go rent a 150cc PCX for a day, and then a Forza. Try them both and see how you like them. For a passenger, the Forza is very good. But the bottom line is, what is best for your needs, and what you like. Good luck on your decision.

@mousehound

Hi mate, how are you finding your Sym 250cc?

What price would I be expected to pay for a brand new one?

All the Sym scooters seem pretty good. A little crude around the edges but very strongly built and I am told a lot easier to work on than most makes. SYM (Bolwell) is one of the biggest makers in Taiwan. The 250 is quite a big scooter. I paid 30k for it used so I guess 80K new would be about right. Mine had 20k on the clock but ran faultlessly for two years.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

checked a few months ago for the Forza, still 159.000 but free insurance, book etc.

50cc scooter? don't bother, its too dangerous on the streets with something like here here (My opinion yes).

A new 110 or 125 can be bought easily here for good prices and you have more power to get you out of tricky situations and to go along with the traffic flow.

Was the new Forza insurance just the minimum legal insurance? Not first class.