Looking for advice on setting up a home gym

Hi there

I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has setup a home gym.

When I say gym, I want to purchase a squat/power rack, bench, barbell and weights first, then later dumbells and other stuff - I'm not bothered about any machines.

Whilst I don't think I'll have any problems picking up a squat rack and bench, I'm struggling to find places that sell decent barbells and plates. With regards to plates, my preference is for bumper platers, similar to the ones shown below from Rogue fitness. Does anyone know if these are available in Thailand?

hg-bumpers-h1_1.jpg

If I can't get bumper plates regular weights will do - can anyone recommend a place I can purchase these.

Thanks in advance!

Where in Thailand would you be looking to buy

I live in Hua Hin but I know there isn't anywhere around here that sells this kind of stuff. I figured I'd have to go to Bangkok, but preferably I'd want somewhere I could check out online which may be able to deliver to me direct.

And yes, I've already search Google but was looking for feedback from people in addition to Google search.

Gym and training seems to be a big thing with many Farangs in Thailand....can only be good I suppose. It's just that before I came to Thailand I never knew or met anybody back home (Europe) that went to a Gym or discussed keeping fit.

Gymware and Ultimate fitness are both good. They aren't as cheap as I was expecting in Thailand, but the equipment is good and it's not overpriced.

Gym and training seems to be a big thing with many Farangs in Thailand....can only be good I suppose. It's just that before I came to Thailand I never knew or met anybody back home (Europe) that went to a Gym or discussed keeping fit.

It really depends on the circles you travel in!

But I certainly notice a trend among people living outside their countries to pursue "self-improvement." Not just farang, but anyone who has changed cultures. I think it probably stems from exposure to another culture driving people to analyze their own culture, and then themselves.

Just checked out Gymware, it looks great thanks!

Owner is nice there....I have my rack from them.

We might be able to produce the rubber rings, in case you can't find them anywhere. Just we would be way too expensive as we make high quality hydraulic seals, so the process is way too expensive for just simple rubber rings.

FBT building (ramkanghaeng) has rubber weight sets.. 30.000-40.000 baht.. They also sell rubber puzzle style matting.

ultimatefitness is great (got good quality from them) Gymware is the same good bit less quality but cheaper.

Ultimate fitness does sell plates.. but not ruberised. I just have 2 25 kg ones in rubber.. good for squat they are a bit bigger as the rest so the rest does not need to be that big.

Edited by robblok

For weights, Seara is cheaper than FBT, and that is for Life Fitness equipment. Still, they are a good 300% of US prices.

I would get a half rack, which gives you squats, bench, incline and decline (if your bench is adjustable) pull ups, military press, and more.)

Every exercise known to man can be accomplished by an assortment of cheap ACE bandages and 4 sizes of readily available water bottles to be filled with water and rocks ! Wanna walk/run/jog ?, buy a small bike with a kick stand that lifts the rear wheel off the ground and pedal away at home . Or, spend about

$ 4000.00, and buy a lot of expensive/heavy/clumsy steel and impress visitors !

Gymware and Ultimate fitness are both good. They aren't as cheap as I was expecting in Thailand, but the equipment is good and it's not overpriced.

But I certainly notice a trend among people living outside their countries to pursue "self-improvement." Not just farang, but anyone who has changed cultures. I think it probably stems from exposure to another culture driving people to analyze their own culture, and then themselves.

Indeed. Just depends on your circle of friends and what your interest6s are and have been. I have been a fitness guy and a gym freak since my thirties. Before that was very exercise oriented with many strenuous sports. At 73 in Thailand I am more concerned with keeping in shape for health and quality of life reasons. I have over the years accumulated a gym from second hand sources, including dumb bells, bar bells, incline and decline benches, a universal machine and an elliptical trainer. Bicycling is the aerobic. I think that many people who are older get into the gym as a way to remedy the abuses of our bodies at the younger ages. We finally realize that we won't live forever and can't abuse our bodies with impunity.

Every exercise known to man can be accomplished by an assortment of cheap ACE bandages and 4 sizes of readily available water bottles to be filled with water and rocks ! Wanna walk/run/jog ?, buy a small bike with a kick stand that lifts the rear wheel off the ground and pedal away at home . Or, spend about

You will see how different people look with your water bottles and rocks.. it is just not efficient. But hey if it makes you happy so be it.

I never heard of a gym impressing anyone (only other health freaks and that is a small target sample).

• Like 2

Yes, maybe there is something in the idea of 'self improvement'.

With regards to myself, I've always been active and played sports from a young age all through my life. In fact, I'd say some of th happiest memories from my childhood and school years are all related to sports.

I'm also a big believer in healthy body, healthy mind and believe there is nothing but positive things to be gained from keeping fit and active - no matter how old you are.

I also believe that where many people around the world have problems with obesity and mental health issues such as depression and anxiety that many of these problems could also be eased by people being more active, rather than reaching for pills.

Also, I live in Hua Hin, I'm in my early 30s and I'm not really into the beer bar scene and there isn't that much else to do here. Training is a good way of keeping me occupied!

Edited by pinkpanther99

Just some pics of what a home gym can be

rsz_2013-03-31_185013.jpgrsz_2013-03-31_185027.jpgrsz_2013-03-31_185102.jpgrsz_2013-03-31_185113.jpgrsz_2013-03-31_194621.jpg

Looks like decent setup and similar to what I'd want eventually.

Maybe this could become the Official Home Gym Thread!

I'll be sure to post pics of my setup when I eventually purchase what I want - should be around early May all being well.

Yes, you're right and I've spent a large part of the last couple of years training exclusively with bodyweight only, which can provide and excellent workout.

However, at this stage I want to lift heavy stuff.

A small home exercise bike isn't what I'm interested in and is so boring that I quickly lose interested. It's also not a particularly effective workout for me.

I wont be spending $4000 either as I don't have that kind of money, but I do have a bit over $1000 of disposable funds get started.

And I couldn't careless about impressing visitors - (what a strange comment you make)

blink.png

Yes, you're right and I've spent a large part of the last couple of years training exclusively with bodyweight only, which can provide and excellent workout.

A small home exercise bike isn't what I'm interested in and is so boring that I quickly lose interested. It's also not a particularly effective workout for me.

I wont be spending $4000 either as I don't have that kind of money, but I do have a bit over $1000 of disposable funds get started.

And I couldn't careless about impressing visitors - (what a strange comment you make)

A bit over 1000$ means at least a powerrack..some matting and a barbell with around 200kg weights and a multibench.

A bit over 1000$ means at least a powerrack..some matting and a barbell with around 200kg weights and a multibench.

I am doing it without matting, and only broke 1 tile so far.

I am doing it without matting, and only broke 1 tile so far.

Yes but I would not feel comfortable doing deadlifts on my floor.. Just would not be a good idea. Besides matting is not that expensive at FBT building on ramkanghaeng.

"A small home exercise bike isn't what I'm interested in and is so boring that I quickly lose interested. It's also not a particularly effective workout for me"

I was the same, after 10mins got bored and stopped, then discovered Blue Goji, works for me, 45 min of cardio gone in a flash! check out the link!

http://www.bluegoji.com/