Looking for advice on setting up a home gym

"A small home exercise bike isn't what I'm interested in and is so boring that I quickly lose interested. It's also not a particularly effective workout for me"

I was the same, after 10mins got bored and stopped, then discovered Blue Goji, works for me, 45 min of cardio gone in a flash! check out the link!

http://www.bluegoji.com/

not much information on the webpage and works only with apple products sad.png

But interesting idea

Yes, you're right and I've spent a large part of the last couple of years training exclusively with bodyweight only, which can provide and excellent workout.

However, at this stage I want to lift heavy stuff.

A small home exercise bike isn't what I'm interested in and is so boring that I quickly lose interested. It's also not a particularly effective workout for me.

I wont be spending $4000 either as I don't have that kind of money, but I do have a bit over $1000 of disposable funds get started.

And I couldn't careless about impressing visitors - (what a strange comment you make)

A bit over 1000$ means at least a powerrack..some matting and a barbell with around 200kg weights and a multibench.

I am doing it without matting, and only broke 1 tile so far.

Yes but I would not feel comfortable doing deadlifts on my floor.. Just would not be a good idea. Besides matting is not that expensive at FBT building on ramkanghaeng.

Yes, right and what you list is all the stuff I want in the beginning.

I'll be buying some matting too but rather than put the rack and weights inside, I have an area outside my house which I think will be suitable.

^ indeed it is.

Happy with my android tablet playing games, and my smart watch can monitor.

smile.png

Well, I have already a hard time by just reading a book, beside the sweat is dropping everywhere.

I think I would do very bad on games.

Watching movies works well but I am too picky on movies....

• Like 1

Yes but I would not feel comfortable doing deadlifts on my floor.. Just would not be a good idea. Besides matting is not that expensive at FBT building on ramkanghaeng.

Yes, right and what you list is all the stuff I want in the beginning.

I'll be buying some matting too but rather than put the rack and weights inside, I have an area outside my house which I think will be suitable.

Be careful about rust then.. unless its under a roof. It will rust here.. even in my gym the bar rusts (from the sweat).

Yes, you're right and I've spent a large part of the last couple of years training exclusively with bodyweight only, which can provide and excellent workout.

However, at this stage I want to lift heavy stuff.

A small home exercise bike isn't what I'm interested in and is so boring that I quickly lose interested. It's also not a particularly effective workout for me.

I wont be spending $4000 either as I don't have that kind of money, but I do have a bit over $1000 of disposable funds get started.

And I couldn't careless about impressing visitors - (what a strange comment you make)

A bit over 1000$ means at least a powerrack..some matting and a barbell with around 200kg weights and a multibench.

Maybe it has an extra training effect if you must put them down gentle laugh.png the last 2 cm......Else the wife complains.....

If I had the cash I would buy a Smith Machine, noooooooooo question................thumbsup.gif

It isn't that expensived.....well it isn't cheap but it is a one time investment.....

Sadly all my investments have gone, blame the ex.........My point is that a Smith machine can control everything safely if the user uses it properly..............thumbsup.gif

Maybe it has an extra training effect if you must put them down gentle laugh.png the last 2 cm......Else the wife complains.....

I am doing it slowly.. its just a precaution if i ever let it slip or something like that. I did drop a 34kg dumbbell once without problems to either the floor or dumbbell.

I am doing it slowly.. its just a precaution if i ever let it slip or something like that. I did drop a 34kg dumbbell once without problems to either the floor or dumbbell.

yes I cracked one ceramic tile....and it wasn't the super horrible accident, just a bit too fast down with 90-100 kg. Maybe just the last few cm..... matting is surely a good thing.

Get a squat/deadlift rack, dumbells, barbell and bench if you want to workout at home. The multi-function machines are crap. I bought a expensive one about 4 years ago. Biggest waste of money ever.

Edited by BKKBobby

Hi PP

I just saw your post.

I'm the manager of Muang Thai Fitness in Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima).

We started as a gym, but are now importers of fitness equipment because everything we needed was either of poor quality or too expensive.

You are welcome to contact me about anything for your homegym - I'll provide you with picture and prices. Some of the equipment, you can even test in Korat.

We have rubbercoated weightplates & rubbercoated dumbbells promotion at only 199.- / kilo...

You can see most of our products in picture and with prices on our facebookpage:

https://www.facebook.com/muangthaifitnessequipment

You can also see the promotions that I'm referring to if you scroll down a bit on the page.

By the way, I'm Nik, Farang from denmark, been living and working in Korat for almost a year - but have been exercising and working with fitness most of my adult life :)

Yeah, no need to worry about those. A weight can always be cushioned before it hits the floor, as in this well-publicized case:

1390972747889.jpg

• Like 1

OK...So since this thread is about weight lifting/fitness equipment, I'm not drifting OT.

I'm 70, in pretty good shape except for arthritis in both knees. I've always been very strong physically though never as a result of any training. I was in the delivery business for years and spent my days lifting dozens of 40 to 70lb cartons onto elevated loading platforms. I once participated in a voluntary health study during which I was given a series of strength tests; I got the highest score they had seen on leg and torso strength.

Not any more.

I realize I am loosing muscle rapidly; arms, legs, probably everywhere. Being 30lbs overweight isn't helping.

I can't see myself going to a gym on a regular basis but I would like to try some basic weight exercises on basic equipment at home and maybe reverse the muscle loss. I realize there is a science to weight training; a right way to go about it and probably many wrong ways.

What is a good starting point? Are there any online instructional materials or video tutorials that any of you who know what you are doing would recommend?

Decent equipment not requiring a large investment to start with?

Hi PP

I just saw your post.

We started as a gym, but are now importers of fitness equipment because everything we needed was either of poor quality or too expensive.

You are welcome to contact me about anything for your homegym - I'll provide you with picture and prices. Some of the equipment, you can even test in Korat.

We have rubbercoated weightplates & rubbercoated dumbbells promotion at only 199.- / kilo...

You can see most of our products in picture and with prices on our facebookpage:

You can also see the promotions that I'm referring to if you scroll down a bit on the page.

By the way, I'm Nik, Farang from denmark, been living and working in Korat for almost a year - but have been exercising and working with fitness most of my adult life smile.png

"at only 199.- / kilo..." Only crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m Are they made from gold? 200 Baht/kg for the cheapest cast iron + cheap rubber? 2x20kg = 4000 Baht.

Some other price which I consider as expensive"

Extra Weight Plates may be purchased at

84 baht per KG. for Standard 1-inch centerhole plates and

89 baht per KG. for Olympic 2-inch centerhole plates

OK...So since this thread is about weight lifting/fitness equipment, I'm not drifting OT.

I'm 70, in pretty good shape except for arthritis in both knees. I've always been very strong physically though never as a result of any training. I was in the delivery business for years and spent my days lifting dozens of 40 to 70lb cartons onto elevated loading platforms. I once participated in a voluntary health study during which I was given a series of strength tests; I got the highest score they had seen on leg and torso strength.

Not any more.

I realize I am loosing muscle rapidly; arms, legs, probably everywhere. Being 30lbs overweight isn't helping.

I can't see myself going to a gym on a regular basis but I would like to try some basic weight exercises on basic equipment at home and maybe reverse the muscle loss. I realize there is a science to weight training; a right way to go about it and probably many wrong ways.

What is a good starting point? Are there any online instructional materials or video tutorials that any of you who know what you are doing would recommend?

As quick idea I would use Youtube. There is a lot nonsense as well, but seeing the exercises is way better than reading about them.

For a quick begin you can buy 2 dumbbells (spelling??) in every bigger supermarket. And than consult Youtube....just be careful on shoulder exercises as damage heals slow. And start very slow with everything......Maybe at 10 % of what you think you can do in the first week. Than 20 % in the second...etc.. So if something start to make problems you catch it before it gets a big problem....

• Like 1

Not any more.

Since you're overweight, getting rid of the excess weight should be the first priority. Exercise won't much help with that; you gotta diet. Check out low carb.

But exercise is so good for you in so many ways. It's commendable that you've decided to start doing something. Given your age and record, I can't see you going to the gym on a regular basis either. You aren't a Jack LaLanne But that's just as well. Bodyweight exercises are safer, less stressful on your joints, less expensive and time-consuming, and they will get you as fit as you can be. I no longer see much point in pumping iron or wasting time and money going to gyms. And I speak as a health-conscious sort who went to the gym religiously for over 30 years.

A few links to get you started:

Mark's Daily Apple

Wild Man Training

Bodybuilding.com

Lifehacker Table

YouTube bodyweight

YouTube suspension trainer

A cardio machine of some sort is always nice to have at home. That is a worthwhile expense IMO.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

Hi PP

I just saw your post.

By the way, I'm Nik, Farang from denmark, been living and working in Korat for almost a year - but have been exercising and working with fitness most of my adult life smile.png

"at only 199.- / kilo..." Only crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZL4v7J7m Are they made from gold? 200 Baht/kg for the cheapest cast iron + cheap rubber? 2x20kg = 4000 Baht.

True - if you want crooked painted metal. On the other hand, if you want plates like the ones first posted here - rubbercoated so you won't bang your floor to peaces or get rust all over, the prices are higher. post-235481-0-21347500-1427646491_thumb.The ones I'm talking about are Pro plates and they are not made in Thailand. For your information, our last load of fitness equipment was taxed a little over 40% entering Thailand. Here's a picture of the ones I personally prefer.

Hi PP

I just saw your post.

True - if you want crooked painted metal. On the other hand, if you want plates like the ones first posted here - rubbercoated so you won't bang your floor to peaces or get rust all over, the prices are higher. attachicon.gif11015099_360434430823751_6625032625397223784_n.jpgThe ones I'm talking about are Pro plates and they are not made in Thailand. For your information, our last load of fitness equipment was taxed a little over 40% entering Thailand. Here's a picture of the ones I personally prefer.

what is crooked painted metal?

Yours and mine are cast iron. Cast iron doesn't rust easily, but in Thailand it will get a bit. Even rubbercoated it is a total low tech product.....Can be produced in Thailand in excellent quality.

40% tax? General rate is 10% and for many countries there is an exception (0 %) (China, Korea, Japan, Asean, Australia, Peru, etc etc).

So either you are lie or you got ripped off by your customs clearing agent. The highest import tax I have ever seen in Thailand was 30 % (shoes, but not such for weightlifting or gymnastic as they are 0-10%).

Hi PP

I just saw your post.

True - if you want crooked painted metal. On the other hand, if you want plates like the ones first posted here - rubbercoated so you won't bang your floor to peaces or get rust all over, the prices are higher. attachicon.gif11015099_360434430823751_6625032625397223784_n.jpgThe ones I'm talking about are Pro plates and they are not made in Thailand. For your information, our last load of fitness equipment was taxed a little over 40% entering Thailand. Here's a picture of the ones I personally prefer.

Yours and mine are cast iron. Cast iron doesn't rust easily, but in Thailand it will get a bit. Even rubbercoated it is a total low tech product.....Can be produced in Thailand in excellent quality.

40% tax? General rate is 10% and for many countries there is an exception (0 %) (China, Korea, Japan, Asean, Australia, Peru, etc etc).

So either you are lie or you got ripped off by your customs clearing agent. The highest import tax I have ever seen in Thailand was 30 % (shoes, but not such for weightlifting or gymnastic as they are 0-10%).

The attached picture is what the man asked for - If you can sell them for 89.- THB / Kilo I'm interested in buying.

About rust you are basically agreeing with me, even though it's obvious that you don't want to. At least you're almost honest.

Regarding honesty, I'm NOT lying about tax. We payed 40% tax on our latest load - and what is general rate in Thailand??? There are different categories, and you have to negotiate to get your goods into Thailand at the right taxrate - My friend wanted to import a brand of alcohol. Did you know that if you want to import alcohol the tax is 80 %. ? Check it out if you don't believe me.

Anyway, if you think that your plates a fantastic h90c, that's fine by me. I just wanted to help a guy out and I thought that it was the point of this forum - I see that I was wrong. This was actually my first post here, and I must say your reaction was a disappointment...

post-235481-0-37045900-1427695634_thumb.

Hi PP

I just saw your post.

after checking your facebook page that had this "Powerful Rower - ONLY 143.880.- THB", I am curious about how much it would be for ya to get a Concept2 Rower Model D with PM5 here

I am interested in the C2, but remember they retail for 29,500 THB

Hi PP

I just saw your post.

after checking your facebook page that had this "Powerful Rower - ONLY 143.880.- THB", I am curious about how much it would be for ya to get a Concept2 Rower Model D with PM5 here

I am interested in the C2, but remember they retail for 29,500 THB

That's a mistake - It will be corrected tomorrow. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

That said - before you all bring me examples of how cheap you can buy all kinds of stuff, it is no surprise to anyone that you can find a good deal on equipment elsewhere and have it send to Thailand - and maybe even get it into the country as private goods.

BUT if you buy from a distributor, that pay taxes in this country by the way, you'll have your guarantee from a company in this country, which is able to get spare parts, handle complaints and repairs, do maintenance etc - and all that all costs money. So our company is the expensive alternative to doing the work of bringing your equipment into Thailand and to your home plus being on your own if the equipment is defective somehow - but compared to other serious distributors selling high standard equipment, we're not expensive.

I wouldn't be worried about buying the C2 though. The only problem I've experienced with them are the aluminium body that can break in the joint below the footplate after long intense use - especially if you weigh too much.

There's a guy in Chang mai, that wants to sell his C2 - but it has the PM4 monitor. Here's the link.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/hobbies/sport-and-leisure/concept-2-rower-318975.html

The attached picture is what the man asked for - If you can sell them for 89.- THB / Kilo I'm interested in buying.

About rust you are basically agreeing with me, even though it's obvious that you don't want to. At least you're almost honest.

Regarding honesty, I'm NOT lying about tax. We payed 40% tax on our latest load - and what is general rate in Thailand??? There are different categories, and you have to negotiate to get your goods into Thailand at the right taxrate - My friend wanted to import a brand of alcohol. Did you know that if you want to import alcohol the tax is 80 %. ? Check it out if you don't believe me.

Anyway, if you think that your plates a fantastic h90c, that's fine by me. I just wanted to help a guy out and I thought that it was the point of this forum - I see that I was wrong. This was actually my first post here, and I must say your reaction was a disappointment...

HS code 95069110

Database: http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

We never needed to negotiate with customs. It is straight forward with a broker who knows what he does. But many of the big shipping companies (Cargo-Partner, Schenker, TNT, DHL, FedEx, UPS.....) have really no clue about customs clearing. Better use an independent agent.

The best weights rubber or plastic covered are 1-1.8 USD/kg ex China (at 1000-2000 kg) with your own logo. And they all come from China.... which is 0 % import duty. Just search Olympic weight China.

Alcohol is different and complicate. You need a license, Import tax is high (I think 60 % for 15-23% alc) but other taxes are even higher.

Not any more.

Since you're overweight, getting rid of the excess weight should be the first priority. Exercise won't much help with that; you gotta diet. Check out low carb.

But exercise is so good for you in so many ways. It's commendable that you've decided to start doing something. Given your age and record, I can't see you going to the gym on a regular basis either. You aren't a Jack LaLanne But that's just as well. Bodyweight exercises are safer, less stressful on your joints, less expensive and time-consuming, and they will get you as fit as you can be. I no longer see much point in pumping iron or wasting time and money going to gyms. And I speak as a health-conscious sort who went to the gym religiously for over 30 years.

A few links to get you started:

Mark's Daily Apple

Wild Man Training

Bodybuilding.com

Lifehacker Table

YouTube bodyweight

YouTube suspension trainer

A cardio machine of some sort is always nice to have at home. That is a worthwhile expense IMO.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply and interesting links. I find the bodyweight concept really interesting. Certain key exercises are not available to me (squats, jumps, ect) because of my arthritic knees but maybe a mixed program; weights and bodyweight could work.

That's a mistake - It will be corrected tomorrow. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

That said - before you all bring me examples of how cheap you can buy all kinds of stuff, it is no surprise to anyone that you can find a good deal on equipment elsewhere and have it send to Thailand - and maybe even get it into the country as private goods.

BUT if you buy from a distributor, that pay taxes in this country by the way, you'll have your guarantee from a company in this country, which is able to get spare parts, handle complaints and repairs, do maintenance etc - and all that all costs money. So our company is the expensive alternative to doing the work of bringing your equipment into Thailand and to your home plus being on your own if the equipment is defective somehow - but compared to other serious distributors selling high standard equipment, we're not expensive.

I wouldn't be worried about buying the C2 though. The only problem I've experienced with them are the aluminium body that can break in the joint below the footplate after long intense use - especially if you weigh too much.

There's a guy in Chang mai, that wants to sell his C2 - but it has the PM4 monitor. Here's the link.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/hobbies/sport-and-leisure/concept-2-rower-318975.html

oh, I wasn't having a go at you.

I am genuinely interested in getting a Black C2 with PM5 but quite unwilling to buy 2nd hand much, I'm just like that.

might get one sent directly from C2 as I reckon no one will have those in stock anywhere

or

I'd bring it "new but opened" as oversized/excess baggages for ±200$ instead of shipping it there since Amazon Prime ships it free 2 days anywhere in US/Canada

it'll prob be coming in with me next time around

Edited by kekalot