US: Bergdahl charges stoke fresh criticism of prisoner swap

webfact

Take a closer look at Obama back ground, his fathers, his religion, his views, and there are many cracks, he is doing exactly the same as countries he condems for doing the same act. a case of the pot calling the kettle black, literally

It's the same old, same old, racial and right extremist politics that refuses to produce any constructive legislation, precludes meaningful dialogue between political parties, rejects significant bipartisan government, allys with foreign critics or enemies of the United States, all in the name of.....of...an ongoing extreme negativism a significant part of which is across the board demographic and thereby racial.

The Bergdahl issue is a tempest in a teapot, one guy in the US military who is being dealt with under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Instead, the long-time invalidated attacks from the forever boring and irrelevant extreme right continue in an attempt to forever discredit a president twice elected by decisive margins and who brought Bergdahl back to the United States to face American justice.

The Bergdahl return stands in contrast to the Ronald Reagan arms for hostages deal Reagan made with the original Ayatollah and for which his national security staff took the fall. The only deal these well identified Taliban guys will receive if they return to combat from Gitmo is to get vaporized by hellfire missiles from US drones.

The unrelenting and unprovoked lines of attack against this president are not only tired and boring in the extreme, they have no legitimacy or no honest purpose or outcome.

• Like 2

Jesus H., I've stumbled into a tea-party convention! w00t.gif

not really, simply anyone capable of independent critical thinking and need not be a tea party member.

Ahhh yes, exactly why I perused this thread - I just knew it would be a gathering of independent critical thinkers having a detached and thoughtful conversation around the topic, certainly not using it as another justification to vilify Obama with tired cliches.

btw - Care for some scones with your tea?

FYI one of the tenets of usa society (constitution based) is the freedom to criticize any public official far from being limited to obama. i personally was ecstatic when he was elected because it was the culmination of the so called american dream, anyone regardless of race, religion had equal opportunity and equal rights. people like dr.king died in defense of such concepts.

following your reasoning nobody should have criticized or even whispered a word about nixon and watergate, or those involved in the iran contra guns for drugs.

anyway you need not worry as soon nearly all of us will adopt mr obama's common core curriculum and realize 2+2=5 therefore critical thinking will have reached extinction.

i never like scones and i drink espresso.

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

Is this really about Bergdahl or about Obama?

it would seem to be just as much about obama as bergdahl. they are both integral and essentially inseparable in this case. if congress had resolved to allow this it would have been different.

I did a lot of work with Vietnam vets during the mid-1970s into the mid-80s some of whom did not make the adjustment, so this is painful to have as a reality. Nor am I the only guy to have only some appreciation of it.

The NYT has a comprehensive and detailed article about all of this. It documents the military situation and conditions at the time of Bergdahl's disappearance which contradict some claims and verify some others. The article gives Bergdahl's accusers from his unit their say.

But the only ones we hear from are the grunts. We hear nothing that I know of from the commanders up and down the chain of command in the Afghan theater, from Lieutenants and Captains all the way through the command levels up to the high muckety mucks at the top there.

The long and the short of it is that when a military commander gives a (lawful) order, you execute it and gripe later. If you don't come back, then you don't come back.

I'd like to know who the commanders were of the forces Bergdahl did duty with, from the platoon leaders to the company commanders to the battalion commander(s) to higher up commands, such as brigade, division, theater, every one of 'em.

This guy Bergdahl is back in the States now and he's up on charges under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which will deal appropriately with him. Not everyone who died was because of him, but some tactical operations were ordered up to specifically find him. Who ordered such small unit expeditions to find one guy, this one guy? Why?

The theater of conflict mission is always paramount. One unstable guy vanishing is a nobody and a nothing. Find out about the guy in the course of ongoing operations, with the total mission remaining first and foremost. Who ordered these small unit operations for one single dubious guy, this single dubious guy, Bergdahl?

And don't try to tell me it was the White House that ordered it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/world/middleeast/can-gi-be-tied-to-6-lost-lives-facts-are-murky.html?_r=0

• Like 2

I did a lot of work with Vietnam vets during the mid-1970s into the mid-80s some of whom did not make the adjustment, so this is painful to have as a reality. Nor am I the only guy to have only some appreciation of it.

The NYT has a comprehensive and detailed article about all of this. It documents the military situation and conditions at the time of Bergdahl's disappearance which contradict some claims and verify some others. The article gives Bergdahl's accusers from his unit their say.

But the only ones we hear from are the grunts. We hear nothing that I know of from the commanders up and down the chain of command in the Afghan theater, from Lieutenants and Captains all the way through the command levels up to the high muckety mucks at the top there.

The long and the short of it is that when a military commander gives a (lawful) order, you execute it and gripe later. If you don't come back, then you don't come back.

I'd like to know who the commanders were of the forces Bergdahl did duty with, from the platoon leaders to the company commanders to the battalion commander(s) to higher up commands, such as brigade, division, theater, every one of 'em.

This guy Bergdahl is back in the States now and he's up on charges under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, which will deal appropriately with him. Not everyone who died was because of him, but some tactical operations were ordered up to specifically find him. Who ordered such small unit expeditions to find one guy, this one guy? Why?

The theater of conflict mission is always paramount. One unstable guy vanishing is a nobody and a nothing. Find out about the guy in the course of ongoing operations, with the total mission remaining first and foremost. Who ordered these small unit operations for one single dubious guy, this single dubious guy, Bergdahl?

And don't try to tell me it was the White House that ordered it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/04/world/middleeast/can-gi-be-tied-to-6-lost-lives-facts-are-murky.html?_r=0

some believe bergdahl was an intelligence asset otherwise difficult to explain how one alleged deserter was worth 5 upper level alleged terror leaders

for an Army deserter

Oh, he's been found guilty of desertion already? I guess I missed that. rolleyes.gif

None of the people calling him a deserter, will answer the following questions:

If it was your son, would you want him to be able to give his side of the story in a thorough military investigation, or would you be satisfied with the word of other people? Would the word of the people be enough for you so that he be left to rot in a Taliban prison and tortured?

But let's be honest: for many this thread is a thinly veiled President Obama bashing thread. If it had been another president, the hyperpartisans wouldn't be making a squeak about this.

If I had a son who turned out to be deserter, I wouldn't want anything to do with him. That would even be worst than having a son that turned out to be a liberal or ladyboy, OMG!

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not sure if this issue was mentioned but it seems bergdahls fellow soldiers were made to sign a nda (non disclosure agreement) military analysts say this is highly unusual.

google

"Outraged by Bergdahl case, fellow soldiers break secrecy pledge to tell story"

Bradley/Chelsea Manning got 35 years for that.

I continue to demand to know who the lower and upper Army commanders on the scene were who gave orders to specifically hunt for this guy Bergdahl and why, and to give this order continually, repeatedly, specifically. This includes an accounting of the base commander who would have had a central role in the orders being issued to the grunts who had to go out to do it, at great individual and otherwise unnecessary risk, as we now know and which has been verified.

Is this really about Bergdahl or about Obama?

it would seem to be just as much about obama as bergdahl. they are both integral and essentially inseparable in this case. if congress had resolved to allow this it would have been different.

Had the congress maximus taken charge of this, it not only would be out of its constitutional authority and expertise, the leaders of the circus would have been having tea with the Taliban while together throwing darts at pictures of the president. The congress maximus is already wildly out of control as it is. Confidentiality in POW negotiations is paramount which is why the congress maximus was excluded from the requirements it itself enacted for its own peculiar three ring show and purposes.

Edited by Publicus

Starting with the events on the ground of the time, place, circumstance, I want to know about the Army locals from the basic infantry units of squad, platoon, company, to include battalion, who had this unstable guy Bergdahl under their authority and command on a daily basis, to include platoon sergeants, and especially the company's First Sergeant (who anyone with experience knows is the most seasoned and when necessary the most famously nail chewing sob among all sergeants.... and the meanest kicking mcnasty in the company just out of general principle).

The suggestion Bergdahl may have been in Army intelligence is a stab in the dark, as there is nothing in his Army record in the assignment of his training stateside to guard duty that night to suggest it. Any and all talk that there were orders from Washington after Bergdahl disappeared is completely and entirely blah blah blah.

Look at the guy. Bergdahl was home schooled, got a GED, never had a driver's license, spent one year in a Buddhist monastery which is good for Suthep but I dunno about Bergdahl, was described by fellow grunts and superiors alike as "psychologically isolated," spent more time with Afghans than with his own platoon, grew somewhat close to only a LT in his unit who got sent to kingdom come by a roadside bomb.....it gets to be a long accounting of this odd guy.

Those five Taliban released from Guantanamo were going to be gone for free when the place gets closed which it will be sooner or later like it or not. There remain at Gitmo a whole bunch of captives while the United States just got back its only POW of the long and grinding Afghan theater of military operations.

It's also well known that the "detainees" at Gitmo are notoriously misclassified and misidentified, from ordinary Afghan farmers being misidentified as Taliban generals to others in captivity simply being swept up in conflicting tribal cross currents.

This is but a tempest in a teapot carried on by the usual suspects who hate Prez Obama.

Edited by Publicus

Bergdahl would be an intelligence asset for Democrats. By getting him back they probably raised their average IQ by a full point.

your post is inflammatory and insulting towards democrats.

(i am unaffiliated)

<<snip>>

It's also well known that the "detainees" at Gitmo are notoriously misclassified and misidentified, from ordinary Afghan farmers being misidentified as Taliban generals to others in captivity simply being swept up in conflicting tribal cross currents.

This is but a tempest in a teapot carried on by the usual suspects who hate Prez Obama.

Let's examine the Washington Post's description of these five Afghan farmers.

Their hands are certainly dirty...but not from farming.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Khirullah Said Wali Khairkhwa

This 47-year-old was once the Taliban's interior minister, actually helping to create the Taliban movement in 1994. His Guantanamo case file, released by WikiLeaks, described him as a “hard-liner in his support of the Taliban philosophy” and “known to have close ties to Osama bin Laden.”
Captured by Pakistani border patrol on Feb. 16 2002.
2. Mullah Mohammad Fazl
Also 47, Fazi was a senior commander in the Taliban army during the 1990s, eventually becoming its chief of staff. He is thought to have personally supervised the killing of thousands of Shiite Muslims near Kabul between 1998 and 2001. His Guantanamo case file also describes him as being present at a 2001 prison riot that led to the death of CIA operative Johnny Michael Spann, the first U.S. citizen killed in the Afghan war. "If released, detainee would likely rejoin the Taliban and establish ties with ACM elements participating in hostilities against US and Coalition forces in Afghanistan," his case file reads.
Fazi surrendered to a Northern Alliance commander in November 2001, and was transferred to U.S. custody in December.
3. Mullah Norullah Noori
Noori, 47, was a provincial governor in several areas during the Taliban regime. He is also believed to have been present during Spann's death and may have also been involved in the Shiite massacre. His Guantanamo case file says that he "continues to be a significant figure encouraging acts of aggression."
Noori turned himself in to a Northern Alliance commander in November 2001.
4. Abdul Haq Wasiq
Wasiq, 43, was the deputy chief of intelligence for the Taliban. According to his Guantanamo case file, he “utilized his office to support al Qaeda” and was “central to the Taliban’s effort to form alliances with other Islamic fundamentalist groups.”
Wasiq was detained in November 2001.
5. Mohammed Nabi Omari
Omari, 46, was a member of a joint al-Qaeda-Taliban cell in eastern Khost province, according to his case file, and “one of the most significant former Taliban leaders detained” at Guantanamo.
Omari was captured in September 2002.
  • Like 2

The five well identified and well known Taliban have five hellfire missiles in the US arsenal with the name of each on a brand new one should any of 'em set off on the wrong foot again.

Central Command's five leading candidates to be vaporized as could be required.

1. Khirullah Said Wali Khairkhwa

2. Mullah Mohammad Fazl

3. Mullah Norullah Noor

4. Abdul Haq Wasiq

5. Mohammed Nabi Omar

They step out of line and we'll know it right quick, then it will be virgins time for these loser pawns.

At least one of the five has declared he is ready to go back to the farm.

Somebody better tell him there's a Hellfire with his name on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freed Taliban Commander Tells Relative He'll Fight Americans Again
BY MUSHTAQ YUSUFZAI
PESHAWAR, Pakistan - One of the five Taliban leaders freed from Guantanamo Bay in return for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's release has pledged to return to fight Americans in Afghanistan, according to a fellow militant and a relative.
"After arriving in Qatar, Noorullah Noori kept insisting he would go to Afghanistan and fight American forces there,” a Taliban commander told NBC News via telephone from Afghanistan.
Noori pushed to return to Afghanistan after learning that the U.S. had provided written assurances that no country would arrest any of the five freed for a year as long as they lived peacefully, one of his relatives told NBC News by telephone from Afghanistan.
  • Like 1