FMF Muffler repacking outlets

CMKiwi

Hello all, Im up here in Chiang Mai and trying to source original FMF fiberglass repacking for a FMF Q4 muffler. I tried a local shop whom stated 3 weeks ago he was awaiting new stock as the stuff he had previously was Thai copy and no good.

Well I went and saw him again today and he had new stock, however it doesnt appear to be the original product. Plain plastic bag with fiberglass sheet (Huge piece too) and also a big roll of what I know as steel wool. I thought that maybe I could use the fiberglass but then to what dimension do I cut the stuff?

On the FMF website you can get the original kit for between 325 - 390 baht, unfortunately they dont sell/post outside the continental USA (Bugger).

This local lad wanted 650 baht for his item which initially I thought was acceptable as tariffs and duties probably over the top (As usual?), but then as this isnt the original FMF product there is no guarantee that it will perform or last as long as the FMF product.

Does anyone out there know where I could source the legit FMF product from in Thailand?

Cheers in advance for your help

I found a website last night that ships to Thailand. Its an American site and initially I thought Id hit the jackpot. However after registering and putting the required item into the shopping basket (402.55 baht) a big shock was instore when I proceeded to the checkout.....

FMF packing 403 baht

Shipping 1172 baht

Duty & Tax 596 baht

Total 2171 baht

Guess what....... suddenly the 650 baht item the local shop had is starting to look very tempting. Just hope it does the job properly and doesnt fall to bits witihin a few rides!

• 11 months later...

So where did you have that done? I had my copy pipe repacked at Home Muffler and after a few thousand kms (not much) it seems to be due again. Some better/descent quality stuff would be better surely. Any chance you could give me a google maps link? Thanks a lot!

Ok and old post/topic regurgatated.... I got the filling from the shop down the road that goes to the bus terminal in Chiang Mai.

From the Ping river bridge its about 150 metres to the shop which is on the left. Not sure if they still have the 'wool' but you will probably have to go ther to find out.

I packed my own...not sure if this shop will do it for you,,,but then money speaks

• 1 year later...

Any corner mom'n'pop m/c shop should sell the stuff, especially one dealing in older 2 strokes, or one selling aftermarket pipes.

Getting the GENUINE FMF stuff is a load of marketing hyperbole. The fibreglass matt packing is probably all made in the same factory somewhere in China.

If it does'nt burn from a naked flame it will be fine.

I recently bought 10 small packs @ 15 baht each (150 baht total). I re packed two Yamaha ty250 mid boxes, and managed to get 5 packs contents in each mid box. So i reckon double that for an FMF silencer.

It's also available here in rolls and larger sheets, whatever the shop stocks. Cheap as chips. Just try the burn/flame test before fitting.

On 03/03/2016 at 10:01 AM, blakegeee said:

So where did you have that done? I had my copy pipe repacked at Home Muffler and after a few thousand kms (not much) it seems to be due again. Some better/descent quality stuff would be better surely. Any chance you could give me a google maps link? Thanks a lot!

A few thousand kms is about right for re-packing a performance "off road" silencer. Even a genuine one.  .

Edited by thaiguzzi