Prayut denies political ambition, urges new university

Lite Beer

Rather pathetic when apologists best response to outrageous statements is "maybe he was joking....." I wonder if same things were said while Hitler was consolidating power in Germany. "He can't really be serious about that", "Yes, but look at all the good he has done, politics was so messy before", etc etc

"I insist that I don't want to be a politician but I cannot stay away" while the country is in trouble. No one dare point out he is adding fuel to the fire. Absence of unrest does not mean unrest is absent. Or something like that...

I find these Hitler comparisons a bit over done. This is Thailand. The Nazis produced a perfectly working police state, a finely meshed terror state, the Thais can't even manage a beach without making a mess of it, besides which only the French take to the streets with as much vigour as the Thais. In Thailand the mob or rather the fear of the mob controls, not parliament.

Rather pathetic when apologists best response to outrageous statements is "maybe he was joking....." I wonder if same things were said while Hitler was consolidating power in Germany. "He can't really be serious about that", "Yes, but look at all the good he has done, politics was so messy before", etc etc

"I insist that I don't want to be a politician but I cannot stay away" while the country is in trouble. No one dare point out he is adding fuel to the fire. Absence of unrest does not mean unrest is absent. Or something like that...

I find these Hitler comparisons a bit over done. This is Thailand. The Nazis produced a perfectly working police state, a finely meshed terror state, the Thais can't even manage a beach without making a mess of it, besides which only the French take to the streets with as much vigour as the Thais. In Thailand the mob or rather the fear of the mob controls, not parliament.

Particularly when the mob is doing the bidding of the unelected establishment, and is backed by the army.

Particularly when the mob is doing the bidding of the unelected establishment, and is backed by the army.

There is the Bangkok mob and then there is the Northern mob and let us not forget the water melon army many of whom are farmers sons. There will be no absolute dictator in Thailand,even the rich would fear that,think of all those falling exports due to sanctions.

"I have ideas to set up a new-concept university for studies in |sufficiency economy."

Considering the Junta's massive failures in economic policies that has and will continue to weaken Thailand's economy, Prayut would have a better chance to establish a university for clowns. It would have better credibility and a whole army of soldiers who could qualify.

A sufficiency econony is exactly where this place is headed. Hail to the Chief!

"I have ideas to set up a new-concept university for studies in |sufficiency economy."

Considering the Junta's massive failures in economic policies that has and will continue to weaken Thailand's economy, Prayut would have a better chance to establish a university for clowns. It would have better credibility and a whole army of soldiers who could qualify.

A sufficiency econony is exactly where this place is headed. Hail to the Chief!

I have lots, you have nothing, the average is sufficient

This self-sufficiency nonsense has been tried in another part of the world with disastrous results. Have a look at "rajapaksa regime" on the internet.

It all seems rosy to begin with..the self-sufficiency theme is repeated over and over..saying, look the country is "living within its means", there is going to have to be some belt-tightening, but it will be worth it. In the interim the 1% at the top, will begin infrastructure projects..building highways, railroads, Airports (mattala airport was build by the rajapaksa regime...it is an airport that is hardly used). All this has many advantageous to a few people at the top of the pecking order. I mean, these are billion dollar (bhat) projects.

IF you read about the demise of the rajapaksa regime it will become clear. In order to pay for these infrastructure projects (fuelled by underhand tenders..tenders passed to those based on connections (family members), projects that are given to foreign companies at a higher cost, with a huge cut taken here, cut taken there...). They all add-up. What happens, debt mounts. How do you pay for this debt...Prices go up..The prices in Sri Lanka went so high, that when Mahinda rajapaksa left and there was change in government, it was possible to reduce the price of some goods by 3x the cost. So something that was 400 rupees became 100 Rupees. That was the level of corruption within the system. It's the people that ultimately pay.

The general has already floated the idea. (dont get me wrong, infrastructure projects are great..but they need to be value-for-money, efficient, cost-effective)

we will have high-speed trains from Bangkok to here to promote tourism.

Sounds familiar..the Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport was built to promote tourism. But the difference there (in Sri Lanka) is that the people in Sri Lanka elected a new leader instead the same same..nepotism, cronyism, and corruption, because he (Mahinda Rajapakse) was responsible for those acts. He belonged to a clearly identifiable political party. Here the General does not have a political party and says he was pushed in to doing the role.

Seems to me like he's already put his hands in the air and said...look I don't even want to be doing this but have no choice..don't blame me if things go wrong...

Hmmmm...problem with that attitude is that Thailand has only started or about to start on these reforms. It would be better to say I will take full responsibility if things don't go according to plan, but I will strive to get the best results (A democratic soldier afterall).

Having no party affiliation could be good, as the next government cannot keep blaming the general (or his party, as he does not have one) for any mess that is handed-over, but the longer the general stays in this role, then this likelihood of attaching blame grows. This is a caretakers role he is playing, so best to hand-over on a good note, both for his sake (I mean, those golf sessions he has planned when he retires will be all the more enjoyable) and the country's sake.

Best way to do this is to set a date and work (set goals) towards it.

Edited by meltingpot2015
  • Like 1