Rear Swingarm Stand For Big Bikes?

WingNut

I saw a long thread started before on the subject of bike stands, but I can't seem to find it again. I remember someone imported one from the UK which turned out to be a fair amount of money because of shipping and import duty. I remember there were a number of concerns about buying stands that were sold here locally because they were all made by Chinese companies, didn't look very strong, could either scratch or drop your bike, and they weren't generally recommended for heavier bikes.

But I just saw a couple of DMP S-Spec stands available on the K-Speed web site. I am not sure the difference between the two, but they don't look like cheap knocks offs to me. In fact, I saw this stand being widely used throughout the Big Wing dealership on all kinds of big new bikes there on display including CBR1000RR bikes.

There are the 2 models, again not sure the difference, but would they be safe to use with a CBR650F do you think? It does say on the text that they are for big bikes I think. Here are the stands:

http://www.k-speed.net/product.detail_497146_th_2855187

http://www.k-speed.net/product.detail_497146_th_5225697

I just want to be able to lift my bike up a bit so that it stands straight and centered without leaning on a kick stand and so someone can sit on it while it is stationary and in different seated positions without the bike possibly falling over. Would this stand cause any damage or not be strong enough for my intended purposes? I may also use it when I am parking the bike for longer periods of time during the rainy season.

I have these DMP S-Spec stands, front and rear. In fact the bike stands more solid if i use both. Just using the rear stand the bike (CBR 150) is not very stable. Guess you want both wheels of the ground, so you may want front and rear. Imo should be solid enough as long as noone is pushing it hard and no big dog jumps on it. Get the type that is not demountable (collapsible).

EDIT:

I got mine from Sumet Cycle (Brian), sponsor here on this forum. Something like 1600-1700 each iirr.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

I saw that thread. I believe it was Rubbersidedown that imported that stand. Or at least he was looking to. Maybe you can PM him.

I have both DMP stands, but could never get the front one to work -- doesn't have a solid hold and always seemed dangerous.

The beautiful thing about that piece of kit from the UK is that a single stand lifts the entire bike, both wheels. Somebody else posted on TV many years ago about a similar one from Germany.

• Like 1

^

Yes, I imported a Bursig stand (from Germany, not the UK)- it was very pricey with shipping and import taxes, but it does exactly what I wanted and I'm glad I have it. My bike weighs over 250kg and I didnt trust the DMP stand to support it (plus I would have had to modify it to accommodate my wide swingarm)- with a lighter bike it wouldn't be an issue, but paddock stands can be tricky (again, the heavier the bike, the more careful you have to be), and I wanted something that would lift both wheels off the ground without dealing with front and rear stands (also I wanted to be able to move the bike around while it was on the stand). I know that Red Baron used to stock the Two Brothers S1 rear stand- it's the one I'd be using if I had decided to go that route as it's very high quality and extremely solid where the DMP is a bit spindly.

This is the Bursig- the ABBA Superbike Stand (which is from the UK) is another good one:

post-176811-0-31868000-1427587205_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

For me the DMP front stand works. Of course you can only use it together with the rear stand or the bike will fall down. Using both the bike is standing solid for basic service work and little repairs. But i wouldnt let it sit for longer time like this without additional securing by straps or similar.

There are other interesting stands, not that much expensive, but difficult to find in Thailand:

http://www.bs-motoparts.com/en/paddock-stands/rear-stand/motorcycle-dolly-rear-paddock-stand-constands-mover-universal-red-i4011-10724-0.htm

• Like 1

BigWing will sell you the DMP S-Spec which like you already mentioned is used by themselves. It costs a bit under 2k I think (I bought one a while ago).

So far no complaints, works fine. Bike is stable and no rust within a year sitting outside. It's red unlike the ones on K-speed.

I'd buy it from BigWing even if it's a bit more expensive than K-Speed just to be sure it's not a copy.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 1

BigWing will sell you the DMP S-Spec which like you already mentioned is used by themselves. It costs a bit under 2k I think (I bought one a while ago).

So far no complaints, works fine. Bike is stable and no rust within a year sitting outside. It's red unlike the ones on K-speed.

I'd buy it from BigWing even if it's a bit more expensive than K-Speed just to be sure it's not a copy.

Are you also using it with a front stand or just the rear? Also, what size bike are you using it with?

I really just want to be able to use a single rear stand as I don't really want to lift the whole bike off the ground.

I see that Revzilla favors this brand called PitBull stands and they have some video reviews on them on YouTube. They look quite solid, but I am not sure if they have a distributor for them here in Thailand?

Or maybe Red Baron is just a bit more expensive smile.png

You can use just the DMP rear stand, but if you touch your bike you will notice that it "swings" sideways a bit because the front has no support. By using front and rear you have a rock solid stand for the bike and nothing can "swing". Guess this will be more or less the same with all these types of stands, not really a DMP issue. Of course the more stable build the less "swing".

They probably sold out of the Two Brothers stand- it must have been two years ago that I saw it there. You can get a Chinese knock-off of it with free shipping to LOS (there are likely other colors or a better price- I didn't search too deeply). It's more expensive than the DMP, but likely more stable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Racing-Motorcycle-Sport-Rear-Combo-Wheel-Lift-Stands-Paddock-Stands-YW-/271229064957?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f268316fd&vxp=mtr

Edited by RubberSideDown

They probably sold out of the Two Brothers stand- it must have been two years ago that I saw it there. You can get a Chinese knock-off of it with free shipping to LOS (there are likely other colors or a better price- I didn't search too deeply). It's more expensive than the DMP, but likely more stable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Racing-Motorcycle-Sport-Rear-Combo-Wheel-Lift-Stands-Paddock-Stands-YW-/271229064957?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f268316fd&vxp=mtr

Thanks RSD. That one does look more stable. Not as pretty as the DMP style though. I might actually use it to take some photos of the bike as well. The red colored one offered by Big Wing sounds a bit enticing in that sense as it would match the color of my bike as well. But also black would be fine too.

I just called Big Wing in fact. They are selling it for 1,873 Baht and I have a 15% discount coupon I could use which expires at the end of June. The girl at Big Wing I spoke with said her catalog only says it is red and that it is a standard stand and didn't mention the brand. I would assume it is the DMP one though.

Also, would I need to buy spools of some sort for it too or would the stands come with whatever needs to be attached to the swingarm?

I'll give that one from China on eBay a bit more thought that you suggested. It really looks like solid stuff. But at this point I'm still leaning towards one with a bit more traditional looking styling for the reasons I mentioned.

Edited by WingNut

Or maybe Red Baron is just a bit more expensive smile.png

You can use just the DMP rear stand, but if you touch your bike you will notice that it "swings" sideways a bit because the front has no support. By using front and rear you have a rock solid stand for the bike and nothing can "swing". Guess this will be more or less the same with all these types of stands, not really a DMP issue. Of course the more stable build the less "swing".

Ah, thanks, that makes more sense and as to why a front stand is usually also recommended together with a back stand.

those s spec dmp thai/Chinese stands are perfectly fine for a 650. You only need a rear stand (front not needed) and some bolts or spools for your swingarm. No need to waste time just look for the best price. 320sp shop probably has the cheapest prices

those s spec dmp thai/Chinese stands are perfectly fine for a 650. You only need a rear stand (front not needed) and some bolts or spools for your swingarm. No need to waste time just look for the best price. 320sp shop probably has the cheapest prices

Thanks. So they don't come with the bolts/spools. Need to get those separately.

I assume though if a 60 kilo person is sitting on the bike using one of these stands it changes things and perhaps they wouldn't be strong/secure enough to add a person's weight to the bike as well?

I use it rear only and I don't bolt it to the swingarm, I just use the small plastic pads it comes with to rest the swingarm on it and it is stable enough for my CBR500R.

I never sat on it while on the stand so cannot tell if it would be a good idea, only use it to spray the chain etc.

• Like 1

With my 190 kg FZ09 I use a stand that looks like the DMP one. Bought it from House Of Bike in Pattanakarn, I think for THB 1,500. It's the type with rubber pads that grip under the swingarm although it also comes with the fittings for cotton reels. Works fine for what I want, which is lubing the chain and occasionally cleaning the wheel.

OP:
>I just want to be able to lift my bike up a bit so that it stands straight and centered without leaning on a kick stand and so someone can sit on it while it is stationary and in different seated positions without the bike possibly falling over.

WingNut, these stands are not made for someone sitting on the bike. It has not that much to do with the weight of the bike, they are simply not secure because not made for that. What exactly are these "seated positions"? biggrin.png