Where Can I Buy A High-Quality Swingarm Stand?

I've found the usual Chinese-made stands for less than 2K, but they are generally too narrow for my application, and I don't feel confident using one for a bike weighing over 260kg.

I know I'll probably have to bite-the-bullet and have something like a TBR S1-Pro stand sent from the States for ~10K (plus import duty), but does anyone know of a place where I can source something like a Pitbull (or similar brand) spooled stand?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like nobody is replying. WHAT is your application"

I looked at images of the TBR S1-Pro stand. All I can say is that it is a simple spool (paddock) stand -- high quality though it may be. However, it seems insane to spend that kind of money on a spool stand when so many perfectly adequate such stands are available here (adequate for ER6/Versys). I bought a nice one from Kawasaki in Nakhon Sawan. I am sure Red Barron in BKK would have a selection.

Here's a link about stands: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/577800-versey-rear-wheel-stand/?hl=stand#entry5582630

If you want something nice, there is always this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-accessories/2007/page-5.htm Only 69,000 baht plus shipping and import duty.

tite-bike-stand.jpg

Or, for less money -- about what you are prepared to spend on a US paddock stand, you can have this sweet little number imported from the UK: http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.cfm?fa=contentGeneric.xijqbtkwbucbcvcu&pageId=1583190

mts1200_motorcycle_stand.jpg

After all, the paddock stand does have its limitations.

My application will be a 2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R.

The stand above is not what I'm looking for, and it's only for Ducati, unfortunately, and it's not the style I want- I'm looking for this (or its equivalent):

post-176811-0-06393500-1365212263_thumb.

I've found the usual Chinese-made stands (like DNP for 2K)- I don't trust them to hold a 585lb (over 100lbs more than a Versys or ER6N) bike that will be very expensive to fix if the stand lets go, and most have little or no adjustability when it comes to accommodating a larger swingarm- I'd much rather spend 10K and have piece-of-mind than spend 2K and worry- that said, if there's a Pitbull-quality stand available in Thailand (even twice US retail) I'd rather buy it locally than import one- this thread was a shot-in-the-dark as I've searched without success..

I'm looking for more than 'adequate' in this case as it's a heavy bike, and it looks like that will mean spending the $ to import one. They are all 'simple'- they aren't all built to the same standard, sadly.

• Like 1

My application will be a 2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R.

The stand above is not what I'm looking for, and it's only for Ducati, unfortunately, and it's not the style I want- I'm looking for this (or its equivalent):

attachicon.gif0000_Pit_Bull_Spooled_Rear_Stand_--.jpg

I've found the usual Chinese-made stands (like DNP for 2K)- I don't trust them to hold a 585lb (over 100lbs more than a Versys or ER6N) bike that will be very expensive to fix if the stand lets go, and most have little or no adjustability when it comes to accommodating a larger swingarm- I'd much rather spend 10K and have piece-of-mind than spend 2K and worry- that said, if there's a Pitbull-quality stand available in Thailand (even twice US retail) I'd rather buy it locally than import one- this thread was a shot-in-the-dark as I've searched without success..

I'm looking for more than 'adequate' in this case as it's a heavy bike, and it looks like that will mean spending the $ to import one. They are all 'simple'- they aren't all built to the same standard, sadly.

You know I just had my tires replaced for my ER6N at Maxxis tire in Pattaya. The stands they used look like they would handle the weight of a vtr 1800 or a bike up to a goldwing 6 cyl . You might try Maxxis tire shops that do motorcycle tires & inquire where they bought their stands. They wern't the typical stands they looked alot beefier.

• Like 1

Rubbersidedown, i know shops like k speed, dirt rider, bikers etc is selling stands and i see sone ducatis etc hanging on them.

But i am not sure if they can hold a giant kawa.

But what i have seen, most of the big bike sellers in bangkok have some basic stands holding bikes like hayabusas, cbr1000s etc so i am sure they tell you something.

Yeah, I know- they'll hold your bike up right until the time they don't- those places usually aren't terribly concerned with putting a few scratches in your swing arm, either- like everyone else here, I've seen some very questionable practices used by both car and bike repair shops.;)

I just won't take the chance- if it's not a TBR or Pitbull (which I used to store my Hayabusa on back in the States) or some other brand I trust (where I can leave it sitting on the stand for days if I want, not just jacked up for an hour), I'll order it- I'll be buying piece-of-mind.

I didn't think I'd end up finding one for sale (though I'm sure there are a few in use here-and-there)- I would imagine the market is just too small and they're kind of bulky and heavy to make importing them (relative to their cost) worth it in large numbers.

• Like 2

Brian at Sumet has them I think about 1800 Baht. There is a couple on Suk 71 in BKK, for about the same 1500-1600 they are blue in colour, Opp. the Esso station just before the klong.

Shame the simple one only fits Ducati It is simple enough I could even make one. I might have a try.

Those are the Chinese-made (probably DMP) stands- I don't trust them- they might last for years without an issue, but I'm not confident in the consistency of the welds. They also are known to not be wide enough for a large swing arm, which I will need (many reviews say their adjustment is maxed out on a 600cc bike).

Maybe I'm being snobbish about it, but it's too important a piece to risk such a heavy bike on.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

Brian at Sumet has them I think about 1800 Baht. There is a couple on Suk 71 in BKK, for about the same 1500-1600 they are blue in colour, Opp. the Esso station just before the klong.

Shame the simple one only fits Ducati It is simple enough I could even make one. I might have a try.

I just ignored the last post that said the ABBA is only for Ducati. The link I posted went to a page featuring the "fitting kit" for the Ducati Multistrada. Does anybody actually read? Here is a better link: http://www.abbastands.co.uk/paddock-stand.asp Cruise the site. This stand fits over 200 motorcycles including the ER's. You just have to purchase the right adapter kit. Click in the "fitting kits" link to find your motorcycle. The real beauty of this stand is that you can service both the front and the back of the motorcycle In fact, on this stand, you can disassemble pretty much the entire bike. Take a look at the website and click around a little. The price ain't bad either, but don't know about shipping. That Brit Royal Post is pretty expensive.

I am thinking very seriously about buying one of these for my ER. I do all my own service, and the paddock stand is a pain. And the "front" paddock stand I bought has nearly trashed my bike. The only way I have been able to safely service the front wheel is to lay the bike down.

Edited by Ticketmaster

Sorry for not actually 'reading' (and I appreciate your posting a better link the second time)- I agree it's an interesting stand, and I'd like to know the price shipped.

In any case I sent them an enquiry re: shipping as I am not in a rush (I probably won't have my bike until the end of May at the earliest)- I will post whatever info they provide.

I've had a lot of success with this type of stand, but their hard to get in LOS.

post-63954-0-76412700-1365256261_thumb.j

with a bit of plywood on top they are quite strong....and stable.

Back to the roots aye bsj?:lol:

I have seen bikers stand today used for many big bikes. Great design, cool aluminum and 5000 thb.

Sorry for not actually 'reading' (and I appreciate your posting a better link the second time)- I agree it's an interesting stand, and I'd like to know the price shipped.

In any case I sent them an enquiry re: shipping as I am not in a rush (I probably won't have my bike until the end of May at the earliest)- I will post whatever info they provide.

Ask them if they'll cut the rate for two. I'd go in with you.

Ask them if they'll cut the rate for two. I'd go in with you.

No response yet, but they would have gotten my email on Saturday afternoon in the UK and were probably closed- I will give them until Wednesday and then try calling if they don't get back to me.

Having watched the video a couple of times, I like the ease-of-use for one person- a rear-stand can be tricky when you're using it by yourself.

It's (the equivalent of) 4500 baht- I'd pay around 8K shipped, but not more than that- I'm still going to get either a Pitbull or TBR stand, but I'll wait until I can bring one back from the States myself rather than ship it.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Have you thought about just getting one made up at a local metal shop.

I have used a milk crate in days past, they work fine.

I haven't seen too many local welds (or welders) I would trust, and there's no way I'm gonna try balancing my heavy bike on a milk crate- my 250 supermoto, sure, as that's hit the deck a few times already.;)

I would never be the 'test pilot' for some sort of structural support fabricated by a local metal shop.

Having watched the video a couple of times, I like the ease-of-use for one person- a rear-stand can be tricky when you're using it by yourself.

ESPECIALLY with a heavy bike like yours; it's bad enough with the ER. And if I have a flat tire, dropping the back another 3" or so, it takes all my strength to get it up (so to speak). I don't think I could do it with another 100 lbs.

The milk crate doesn't fly for me either. If I could use a milk crate, I would use my floor jack. When I had the stock catalytic can under there, it was probably strong enough, but I swapped it for a Scorpion exhaust. I am pretty sure that if I tried to put the entire weight of the bike on it, it would crush like a beer can. Anyway, not taking the chance.

I agree about the welders and lousy steel. Might get a good one and might get a bad one. And the attachment point needs to be incredibly strong, something the ABBA engineers have surely already thought through.

Edited by Ticketmaster

My Hayabusa weighed about 550lbs, and I used to use a Pitbull stand- I got good at it after a while, but it took some practice- it helps if you can muscle the bike a bit, but you need to be careful- having had experience with one I would get another, but I would imagine a few newbs have seen their bike land on its side (or on top of them)...wink.png

Edited by RubberSideDown

That abba stand is a nice piece for quite a few reasons.

1- I like that it breaks down into an easily packed or shipped unit

2- I like the simplicity yet the idea is sound & looks safe

3- The use of leverage to lift is a lot easier & your at a good balance holding point

rather than behind the bike

Funny but back in high school in weld shop we use to make something similar but

not adjustable. We made them exact to fit our dirt bikes

Also rather than a long straight handle we used a shorter one with a bend out in it.

After we positioned we would just step on the bend & that lifted the bike into position.

This allowed us to keep both hands on the bike balancing it.

Also the rest/contact point was bottom of frame rather than swingarm pivot.

But yes this Abba stand looks like a great/simple/usable stand

Edited by mania

I agree about the welders and lousy steel. Might get a good one and might get a bad one. And the attachment point needs to be incredibly strong, something the ABBA engineers have surely already thought through.

Having researched it a bit, I would definitely trust ABBA- they obviously know what they're doing.

Now it's all about how hard a hit they toss out on the shipping- from the US, a stand like that ships for about 2K, but postage from the UK (as you said) is pricey- I paid 1K shipping for an Oxford rain suit last month.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Now it's all about how hard a hit they toss out on the shipping- from the US, a stand like that ships for about 2K, but postage from the UK (as you said) is pricey- I paid 1K shipping for an Oxford rain suit last month.

I just sent an inquiry of my own, asking about shipping to Thailand and whether they were willing to ship in a plain box (no company logos) by Royal Post with a handwritten label (Often slides right through Thai Post customs). Also asked about shipping two units together.

Anybody else interested? Perhaps there could be a "group buy."

I just sent an inquiry of my own, asking about shipping to Thailand and whether they were willing to ship in a plain box (no company logos) by Royal Post with a handwritten label (Often slides right through Thai Post customs). Also asked about shipping two units together.

I wish you luck getting a large package full of heavy steel through the Post Office customs dept. without attracting any attention.

Edited by VocalNeal

I just sent an inquiry of my own, asking about shipping to Thailand and whether they were willing to ship in a plain box (no company logos) by Royal Post with a handwritten label (Often slides right through Thai Post customs). Also asked about shipping two units together. Anybody else interested? Perhaps there could be a "group buy."

..I wish you luck getting a large package full of heavy steel through the Post Office customs dept. without attracting any attention.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking- the customs hit on the actual purchase won't be too bad, though- maybe 1500 baht.

Dirt shop only list one stand that is not at all suitable for the OP.

20120929170249_0000-Matrix-Concepts-M2-W

I like that ABBA stand, reckon I'll make me one for my SR.

I was there on friday and they have what the op needs and a lot more. It is one of the best shops in thailand with original equipment.

Edited by yankee99

Dirt shop only list one stand that is not at all suitable for the OP.

20120929170249_0000-Matrix-Concepts-M2-W

I like that ABBA stand, reckon I'll make me one for my SR.

I was there on friday and they have what the op needs and a lot more. It is one of the best shops in thailand with original equipment.

Yet your link was useless as they do not have listed what the OP requires.

I wish you luck getting a large package full of heavy steel through the Post Office customs dept. without attracting any attention.

I've done it many times, but it takes cooperation of the shipper. If it looks commercial, it gets caught. If it looks like a big care package from mom, if very often sails right through.