Mobile Phone Advice

TBWG

Currently in the UK and need to buy a new mobile phone which will work in Europe and Thailand.

Ads say Triband works outside Europe e.g. US....told by unconvincing assistant that it will work in LOS, can anyone confirm this before I am parted from my cash.

Thanks

TBWG :o

Hi,

AFAIK Standard Tri-Band is fine for EU & here. i.e. (GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 MHz)

If you require US, then the Quad-Band is a better bet. (GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz)

Regards

/Edit/

Some phones may be 'locked', and will require unlocking before they can use a different SIM. However, if you are buying a 'non-contract' phone that should not be an issue.

/end edit/

Edited by A_Traveller

Triband will work, but I agree quad is better. The only thing make sure its unlocked, wont work otherwise when you switch out the SIM.

Thanks for all the replies..

Excuse my ignorance but I am not really into mobiles. are you saying that if I buy a pay as you go phone in the UK I will have to change the SIM card in LOS?

My previous nokia on vodafone contract worked in Thailand automatically without having to change SIM card and signed on automatically to AIS each time I arrived. Mind you it was a company phone and I recall the bills being horrendous!!

Is this an expensive way of doing it, doe's it mean even a local Thai call is routed via UK?

Maybe I should wait until I get to LOS before buying?

Yup I know I am dumb but I happen to think the mobile is the worlds 2nd worst invention ( because of the unecessary thoughtless use by a minority of owners).

Hope for some advice if I haven't upset too many people :o

TBWG :D

Oh yes no1 ..kareoke machine :D

Yup, agree with you there, the karaoke machine inventor is lucky he's dead because otherwise I think he should be shot :D

Anyway, yes, it is expensive to use your SIM from home here in Thailand, much cheaper to get a Thai SIM, it costs about 300 baht so not expensive at all.

I don't know about prices in the UK but you may consider buying one here, they are never locked so its one less thing to worry about for a phonephobe such as yourself :o

Yup, agree with you there, the karaoke machine inventor is lucky he's dead because otherwise I think he should be shot :D

Anyway, yes, it is expensive to use your SIM from home here in Thailand, much cheaper to get a Thai SIM, it costs about 300 baht so not expensive at all.

I don't know about prices in the UK but you may consider buying one here, they are never locked so its one less thing to worry about for a phonephobe such as yourself :D

Thanks SBK

Think I will wait and buy in Thailand.

TBWG :o

If you use AIS or DTAC when you get here, a plain old 900/1800 phone will work just fine (like in Europe). There is a 1900 band provider here, but I don't know anything about it since my AIS and DTAC SIMs will stick to AIS and DTAC towers.

Practically any unlocked phone should give you this 900/1800 service, unless it is a cheapie from the US in which case it might be 1900 only.

If you use AIS or DTAC when you get here, a plain old 900/1800 phone will work just fine (like in Europe). There is a 1900 band provider here, but I don't know anything about it since my AIS and DTAC SIMs will stick to AIS and DTAC towers.

Practically any unlocked phone should give you this 900/1800 service, unless it is a cheapie from the US in which case it might be 1900 only.

Thanks everyone for the input but what does 900/1800 and 1900 signify?

Thanks TBWG :o

"Thanks everyone for the input but what does 900/1800 and 1900 signify?"

Thanks TBWG :D

Welcome to the 21st Century. :o

Thanks everyone for the input but what does 900/1800 and 1900 signify?

Thanks TBWG :o

It is the frequency band where the phone operates:

900Mhz

1800Mhz

1900Mhz

The 900 and 1800 bands are the most common in Thailand