How is taking the train? Is there a luxury bus available?

ev1lchris

The bus ride is OK from Bangkok to Siem Reap - if you take the straight through bus that is. Otherwise, it's a bit draining with lots of stops and a lot of hassle at PoiPet to buy a visa that you don't need to buy there - wait until you leave Thailand and buy a visa from immigration in Cambodia, much cheaper and exactly the same - wait times are usually pretty short for this too, despite the rubbish they will tell you to try and get you to buy one from a dodgy agent. The train is OK but it's an early start and you'll need a tuk-tuk to the border. There are no rail services in Cambodia itself and you'd need to buy a bus ticket or hire a taxi to get to Siem Reap.

The train goes only as far as Aranyaprathet in Thailand, has infrequent schedule and only 3rd class (hard wooden seats, usually no a/c)

Since you mention luxury, this is definitely not the way for you...

Sheryl,

a slight correction. My sensitive lower behind distinctly remembers that the train did not have wooden seats. it is definitely more comfy. Only fans plus the breeze from the ride. 2 trains leave BKK per day. 1 shortly after 6 AM and one at around 1 PM. These make numerous stops before leaving the city so often no need to go to the main station. The ride is a little slower than the bus once you factor in going to Morchit or using one of the smaller stations. The cost is a staggering 48 bath.

The line runs through the country side and rice fields. So lots to see and I like the crowd on the train.

Edited by mike2011
  • Like 1

The train goes only as far as Aranyaprathet in Thailand, has infrequent schedule and only 3rd class (hard wooden seats, usually no a/c)

Since you mention luxury, this is definitely not the way for you...

There is usually one car with wooden seats. Others have cushioned seats.

i did some research on the mystery wooden benches. Here is the result: Of the two trains running between BKK and Aran one has a carriage with those historic seats which are the dream of all railway enthusiasts. The BKK train leaving early in the morning and returning at noon from Aran provides this special service.

I usually use the other train so I missed out....

Right now the construction works between Prachinburi and Sakeow slow the train seriously. This week it took 6.5 hrs to Aran with the afternoon train from BKK which left another 15 minutes late. We were just before 8 pm in Aran.

This is, however, not a problem for those going on to Cambodia as the Thai checkpoint is open till 9 PM.

Buses to Phnom Penh leave 7.30, 8.30 and apparently also 9.30.

Two bus companies provide those simple sleeper buses. Olympic and Golden VIP Bus (forget the VIP). Their offices are in Phnom Penh near the old market right next to each other on the left hand side at the corner when you walk towards the river. I got my ticket in Poipet from Olympic and ended up on Golden. So the two work together and sell tickets for each other.

Prices were bad this week as all companies had increased fares because of Khmer new year. So the 12 USD were not representative of normal times.

My bus left around 9.30 PM and got around 7.15 AM to PP. Last time Olympic left around 9 PM and was at about 5.30 in PP. A lot depends on the bus arriving north of PP before the morning commute starts. If it did not, you lose an hour as due to construction the buses cannot or do with difficulty overtake the slow motorbike towed carriages with the workers.

Edited by mike2011
  • Like 1