Automobile oil change - where?

funlovinkid

I have a 2011 Toyota Vios in need of an oil change, but I learned in my last visit to Toyota that because the car is no longer covered by the warranty, the price of an oil change at the dealership went from around 1100 Baht to around 2500 Baht. No way! w00t.gif

Anybody know of a decent, trustworthy place in Pattaya/Jomtien for an oil change at a reasonable price?

I pay around 1300B for a 6-month/10,000km service at Mitsubishi which includes oil/filter changes and other checks.

They also have a big chart on the wall which shows the prices for each type of service.

I'm not aware that the price will go up when the vehicle is out of warranty.

For the small difference in price, I go to the dealer. I get an espresso and a cake, sit in a nice lounge for a few hours, surf the internet on their computers. Car gets washed and I'm on my way.

I signed up for a 2 year package that gives me a pretty good discount on future services.

^ a few hours for an oil change, good grief Craig, I didn't realise you had a tank biggrin.png

That's the difference here with Europe. In Europe you make an appointment for your car service, here it seems impossible to make an appointment, when you ask they say it isn't needed.

For the small difference in price, I go to the dealer. I get an espresso and a cake, sit in a nice lounge for a few hours, surf the internet on their computers. Car gets washed and I'm on my way.

Instant coffee and no cake at my dealer. sad.png

But I also get the car cleaned, inside and out, and they do a much better job than the paid car-wash places do.

In Europe you make an appointment for your car service, here it seems impossible to make an appointment, when you ask they say it isn't needed.

After much discussion my dealer did in fact make an appointment for me. They didnt want to, but I just kept on at them until they did.

When I arrived at 10am on the day my name was even written on the board, which amazed me. And they did my car first which amazed me even more.

I would stress that I use a new dealer a few km outside town (though actually easier and closer to where I live), not the old one in town.

• 5 weeks later...

THe oil change price does not go up because the vehicle is out of warrenty. The total bill incresed because the dealer's free inspection every 10,000km expires at 50,000km..At 50,000KM the oil change plus free multiple points inspection was 1400B for my Fortuner, at 60,000km oil change plus multi point inspection was 3600B.

In Europe you make an appointment for your car service, here it seems impossible to make an appointment, when you ask they say it isn't needed.

After much discussion my dealer did in fact make an appointment for me. They didnt want to, but I just kept on at them until they did.

When I arrived at 10am on the day my name was even written on the board, which amazed me. And they did my car first which amazed me even more.t

I would stress that I use a new dealer a few km outside town (though actually easier and closer to where I live), not the old one in town.

Ford in Pattaya always call me when they think my service is due. And I've never had a service carried out without an appointment. I've read many comments on various forums about Ford serving, but I've never had any problems

THe oil change price does not go up because the vehicle is out of warrenty. The total bill incresed because the dealer's free inspection every 10,000km expires at 50,000km..At 50,000KM the oil change plus free multiple points inspection was 1400B for my Fortuner, at 60,000km oil change plus multi point inspection was 3600B.

So they charged you 2200 Baht for an inspection? Try to pull someone else leg.

What model is you car what did u paid for your 60,000km service?

What model is you car what did u paid for your 60,000km service?

Has nothing to do with it, you said they charged you 2200Bht for an inspection. Inspection means visual check up, so no materials or parts used.

Depending on the car brand and model, a 60.000 km service may include many more parts, materials and labour as a 50.000km service, but that is not what you said.

But FYI, I have a Nissan and my 110.000 km service cost the same as my 10.000km service.

Edited by Anthony5

Not sure the oil filter is changed,kept away from last one(free coffee) just stick pipe down the oil stick opening and suck old oil out. How can they keep a full range of oil filters on hand if no appointment made?

An original oil filter for a Nissan Navara is 178Bht, so I think they wouldn't need a mortgage for that.

Not sure the oil filter is changed,kept away from last one(free coffee) just stick pipe down the oil stick opening and suck old oil out.

My dealer here raises the vehicle on a lift and removes the sump drain plug to let it all drain out properly whilst he removes and replaces the filter. And I always watch them do it. Until a few years ago, when I was still supple, I used to do it that way at home in Europe by just sliding under the engine on my back.

Back in the 70s I had a weekend job at a big chain of petrol stations (the owner of which did time in the 90s for insider share trading) and we used the suction devices there, but they didnt work very well especially if the oil was thick.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Toyota Vios in need of an oil change, but I learned in my last visit to Toyota that because the car is no longer covered by the warranty, the price of an oil change at the dealership went from around 1100 Baht to around 2500 Baht. No way! w00t.gif

Anybody know of a decent, trustworthy place in Pattaya/Jomtien for an oil change at a reasonable price?

I do however your guarantee will be void if not done at Toyota shop

Am confrontational post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

^ a few hours for an oil change, good grief Craig, I didn't realise you had a tank biggrin.png

That's the difference here with Europe. In Europe you make an appointment for your car service, here it seems impossible to make an appointment, when you ask they say it isn't needed.

we only have our cars serviced by appointment at the Toyota shop. just showing up means a lengthy wait or they ask us to make an appointment

If you go up Siam Country Club rd.

Just past the market on your right there is a 7/11 on your left then a carwash with a sign that says

" car wash - clean oil"

I have never been there, I go to Toyota.

Remember you get what you pay for.

I have a truck Isuzu , 3,000 cc ,automatic gears since more than 5 years ; ( to-day, it has about 109.000 km )

the price has never changed after the end of the garantee ;

but every 40.000 km there is a total service ;

they change all the oils :

motor , gear box, drive axle , brakes ( with my truck I never have/had "brake fails " cheesy.gif ) ;

they change also all the water of the cooling system ;

verify the battery ; all security elements on the vehicle; about 4 hours of work ;

and I have to pay about 7,000 baht for that..

And every 10,000 km change motor oil and the filter and some minor verifications for about 1,000 baht .

All of that did at the Isuzu center in Sawang Daen Din -- Sakon Nakhon province .

The dealerships rarely just change oil. They tend to go through a check list of things, which depends on the mileage of the car. Some are relatively minor (but still more than just an oil change) and some are relatively major. Include the great car wash/interior cleaning and you're going to be there for more than an hour. Appointment or not.

Indeed. I know that for my servicing they check and adjust the brakes, check all the fluids, check visually for leaks and wear, and swap the wheels around. I imagine that this is all part of the standard manufacturer's check list for the service as they do it every time.

And of course for bigger services they do things like changing belts etc., all according to the age/mileage.

• 3 months later...

Not sure the oil filter is changed,kept away from last one(free coffee) just stick pipe down the oil stick opening and suck old oil out. How can they keep a full range of oil filters on hand if no appointment made?

To answer your question 1 model of oil filter will fit hundreds if not thousand of model cars..Here is an example using the K&N part number for my 1994 Audi.. http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?prod=HP-2005 .. In this case all Audi vehicles or derivatives going back to 1965 plus some 2015 models... Pretty amazing that vehicles manufacturers kept the same spec all these years across all the different engine design changes..

Even if they did not have one in stock, a short trip on a scooter and they would mostly be able to secure one... biggrin.png

I have a truck Isuzu , 3,000 cc ,automatic gears since more than 5 years ; ( to-day, it has about 109.000 km )

the price has never changed after the end of the garantee ;

but every 40.000 km there is a total service ;

they change all the oils :

motor , gear box, drive axle , brakes ( with my truck I never have/had "brake fails " cheesy.gif ) ;

they change also all the water of the cooling system ;

verify the battery ; all security elements on the vehicle; about 4 hours of work ;

and I have to pay about 7,000 baht for that..

And every 10,000 km change motor oil and the filter and some minor verifications for about 1,000 baht .

All of that did at the Isuzu center in Sawang Daen Din -- Sakon Nakhon province .

No Coolant for Radiator