Schools Again in Hua Hin

pepi1

pepi1, most of the posters and lurkers on this forum live in Cha-Am, or they're single, or they're retired. In other words, not many parents with children in school.

Hua Hin is growing and changing, and a school that's good this year can change in several more, and vice versa.

For example, I know of one farang who has a child in the 8th grade at Somtawin, but that's not enough evidence to judge.

Good luck. Can anyone else help?

Last time I checked there were no international schools in Hua Hin (of a standard that would be recognised as being both staffed by western teachers and comparable in quality to say Prem in Chiang Mai and St Andrews etc etc in Bangkok). Its a shame but clearly there is no demand as yet but it will change as everything else changes but not, it seems, right now. Thats assuming that you think these schools are better than a more traditional Thai school of course many dont.

An interestign post Cabana. You are indeed correct that there are no international schools in Hua Hin, and as far as i am aware, not on the Thai based international schools have any plan to open up there.

I find it interesting that you quote St. Andrews in Bangkok to offer a high quality education. After having my daughter there for 6 months, we pulled her out as they didnt even supply her with text books. They do state in their literature that they employ 'fun based learning' but i must say, i was really less than impressed by them.

I worked at Somtawin for almost two years in the past, and im sure mny of the Hua Hin based posters on here will know who i am. While Somtawin does have its weak points, i do believe that the management have the best interest and education of the kids at heart. They are looking at the long term picture, and are trying to offer something in the way of quality education. At the moment, they just dont have enough students, generating enough revenue to allow them to take that extra step.

There really isnt another option for any kind of English language schooling in town though.

If you asked me however, if i would send my kids to school at Somtawin, i would have to think hard. As i said, i worked there for a decent period of time. I think, to be honest i would say yes, i would send my kids there for early primary years education. After say P 3 or 4, then i must say no, i would have to look elsewhere, and that would have to be outside Hua Hin.

I hope this post can be of help to you.

Regards

An interestign post Cabana. You are indeed correct that there are no international schools in Hua Hin, and as far as i am aware, not on the Thai based international schools have any plan to open up there.

I find it interesting that you quote St. Andrews in Bangkok to offer a high quality education. After having my daughter there for 6 months, we pulled her out as they didnt even supply her with text books. They do state in their literature that they employ 'fun based learning' but i must say, i was really less than impressed by them.

I worked at Somtawin for almost two years in the past, and im sure mny of the Hua Hin based posters on here will know who i am. While Somtawin does have its weak points, i do believe that the management have the best interest and education of the kids at heart. They are looking at the long term picture, and are trying to offer something in the way of quality education. At the moment, they just dont have enough students, generating enough revenue to allow them to take that extra step.

There really isnt another option for any kind of English language schooling in town though.

If you asked me however, if i would send my kids to school at Somtawin, i would have to think hard. As i said, i worked there for a decent period of time. I think, to be honest i would say yes, i would send my kids there for early primary years education. After say P 3 or 4, then i must say no, i would have to look elsewhere, and that would have to be outside Hua Hin.

I hope this post can be of help to you.

Regards

Somtawin has a really bad reputation in Hua Hin at the moment, due to some recent issues that Moonfruit may not know of & I don't want to go into here. Moonfruit is right, that there is no other "international" school in this area, so no real choice. Salesian has a "sort of" English programme, but probably not what you're looking for.

Your advantage is your daughter's age. My son has just turned 5 & for the last 2 years he's been going to Pratthana Kindergarten. It's a mostly Thai programme with some English teaching (which I've supplemented in my son's case) I'm really quite happy with them & their standards. They are also very happy to talk with you if you have any problems with your child's education. It might be worth a look.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I have asked this before about schools in or near HuaHin. It seems there is only one proper school, is this correct? I have been to Thailand many times but not to HH. I get the impression its perfect for the older person,but not really suitable for young family. Appreciate comments.

Sorry, pepi, but I think the only answer you got last time is that the "most properest" school might be Somtawin, for older students. I had my doubts about how proper that was, myself (with very limited knowledge).

Maybe this post will bump the thread to the top of the list again.

Good luck.

Sorry, pepi, but I think the only answer you got last time is that the "most properest" school might be Somtawin, for older students. I had my doubts about how proper that was, myself (with very limited knowledge).

Maybe this post will bump the thread to the top of the list again.

Good luck.

Theres been a lot of debate on the other HH forum about this subject, from home schooling, to a new school arriving. I don't think TV allows a link, so suggest you google Hua Hin and find the forum that way. Its not hard to find.

• 5 months later...

I have to speak up here - when we moved to Hua Hin last year - we put our child into the local International School (no names mentioned). Our child has been bullied by the local kids in a group ... badly... and the kids have to CLEAN their classrooms when they get dirty (do they not have cleaners to do this ??? since when do children sweep and dust and wipe classrooms anywhere else???) Our child icked up foul language that he was never ever subjected to in his previous schools. Some teachers there do not even make time to see parents after we request meetings numerous times.... we eventually gave up ! there are some good teachers which are qualified and the rest I will not comment on. Teachers change more often than any other school I have known. We have even had negative comments by teachers themselves on the school so I would def keep clear here. Home schooling is an option we did not want to look into, but after meeting other parents in Hua Hin and them all saying they took their kids out of this school to home school and the difference it made was amazing, we looked into this instead. I know home schooling is a commitment for a parent, but there is no time that is not worth giving up for your kids to ensure they are well educated. The health and safety here is also a big factor at this school - the children have no air con in summer (going into temps in the 40's) , the kids have no proper supervision in the playgrounds. We have seen the ambulance taking a child away ourselves. From day one we had a huge question mark hanging over us on the school - I am sorry to be so factual here, but I would rather homeschool any day and you only need to talk to other parents in the playground to see how they all feel, but .. they think there are no other options ! Can someone please start up a school !!!! ??? I know they are cracking down now on wanting qualified teachers at schools and doing background checks, so maybe this will help and bring in some consistency. There is so much more to teaching than just reading text books to kids. there is the phsychological aspect as well of it all on how to handle children affectifely and to their best benefit. teaching is an art and one to be respected. I do hope they start to come right and get some qualified staff in that the children can rely on - I guess time will only tell here though and I give it to them, they are trying.... however, in the interim, we all homeschool !

I have asked this before about schools in or near HuaHin. It seems there is only one proper school, is this correct? I have been to Thailand many times but not to HH. I get the impression its perfect for the older person,but not really suitable for young family. Appreciate comments.

Hua Hin is a perfect family location and very family orientated. People are wonderful and you will meet a lot of families. Schooling is a problem though here, but homeschooling is an option - they do this in many parts of Thailand, even in Koh Samui and it works extremely well. Best of luck.

• 1 year later...

:o

"Somtawin has a really bad reputation in Hua Hin at the moment"!!! :D

Good morning,

I just read your topic about Somtawin...I had to move to Hua Hin next July 2008 and find an internationl school for my french daughter, 9 years old.

I thougt that she could go to Somtawin...

Do your children already stay in Somtawin? and do you live in Hua hin now?

Thanks for your answer. :D

Carole from BKK (we are french)

Regarding Primary Education, you cannot find proper International Education (i.e. English as a first language) in the upper-south of Thailand. For that you've to be in Phuket or Bangkok and its outskirts. Sxxxxwxx is not a real International school. If it would be, all teachers would have a B.Ed., PGCE or Grad.Dip.Ed. If 5% of the teachers at that school would have that, then it's a lot. When they have it, it's just because their girlfriend comes from Hua Hin. A teacher with those quals goes to Phuket or BKK to earn 80-180k THB, not 30k at Sxxxxxx.

Petch01

Petch01 is correct; Hua Hin has no real international school. Somtawin? I have never been there, but the only neighbor kid I knew who went there could not understand his Filipino math teacher. I stayed almost exclusively among the retiree beach crowd, not families with kids. I could not get a part time job teaching there (maybe it was the ponytail, no kidding), but I wasn't looking that hard for work.

I moved to Hua Hin in July 2005 for a year, and have kept my eyes open for info about schools there. Nada, zilch, soon. Hua Hin does not show up on the radar for primary or secondary teachers in Thailand.

I would love to be corrected by a couple knowledgeable posters who have spent recent time in the schools. But when I hear of numerous families falling back to home schooling, I suspect they are desperate. Unless, of course, the stay-at-home parent is a fully qualified professional educator in the West.

:o

"Somtawin has a really bad reputation in Hua Hin at the moment"!!! :D

Good morning,

I just read your topic about Somtawin...I had to move to Hua Hin next July 2008 and find an internationl school for my french daughter, 9 years old.

I thougt that she could go to Somtawin...

Do your children already stay in Somtawin? and do you live in Hua hin now?

Thanks for your answer. :D

Carole from BKK (we are french)

Firstly, my statement is about 18 months old (time flies!). Having said that, although I am not hearing the same complaints, I haven't heard much compensatory praise, either. They will be relocating shortly, so things may get better.

Yes, I am still in HH. No, my son doesn't go to Somtawin. Having said that, it's beyond my price range. If my money were unlimited and I (still) wanted to send my son to school in HH, I would send him to Yamsaard, based on what I've heard.

Good luck. :D

Edited by November Rain

• 2 weeks later...
Petch01 is correct; Hua Hin has no real international school. Somtawin? I have never been there, but the only neighbor kid I knew who went there could not understand his Filipino math teacher. I stayed almost exclusively among the retiree beach crowd, not families with kids. I could not get a part time job teaching there (maybe it was the ponytail, no kidding), but I wasn't looking that hard for work.

I moved to Hua Hin in July 2005 for a year, and have kept my eyes open for info about schools there. Nada, zilch, soon. Hua Hin does not show up on the radar for primary or secondary teachers in Thailand.

I would love to be corrected by a couple knowledgeable posters who have spent recent time in the schools. But when I hear of numerous families falling back to home schooling, I suspect they are desperate. Unless, of course, the stay-at-home parent is a fully qualified professional educator in the West.

it is so unbelievable as to how a person who admitted to speaking to only 1 student from the school would even have the guts to comment like this. particularly singling out a teacher.

here's a simple advise, go to somtawin and try talking to the teachers and students that the dude is working with and teaching. they will tell you how brilliant the dude is. yes, he's filipino but one thing you gotta do is really talk to him. his english is clear as an englishman's english. very clear i would say.

another thing, did you check the level of understanding of the kid you spoke to? its just probably his understanding of the subject. many kids that i know of really enjoy learning with this filipino maths teacher coz they are really learning. the level of teaching is a really high for european and most students from the west but they are learning really well. in comparison to another teacher from the same school (an american science teacher), he is indeed teaching and helping students learn. the american isn't teaching anything. he spends a lot of his time at a nearby 7-11 store with his students instead of the classroom to teach. or if not, talking to his girlfriend on the phone.

by the way i'm a thai mother and my son is learning with this filipino maths teacher. he is having trouble with the subject but he's not complaining. he is loving it coz he is learning something new everyday. with this filipino maths teacher

:up:

A commendable reply but I understand that they've been advertising for a new maths teacher.

Is the said gentleman moving on?

However, when salaries of 30 00 baht per month are offered you'll be lucky to find quality teachers - particularly in a core subject.

as far as i know, mr. filipino maths teacher isn't the one moving on. its the primary maths teacher from england thats getting replaced. many parents (including me and my english husband) have been complaining about about the primary maths teacher's teaching methods apart from the fact that students can't understand a word that he is saying.

i had a short talk with this primary maths teacher last wednesday when i picked up my kids' report cards and honestly i didn't understand what he said about my daughter's performance in his maths class. i ended up walking away confused. i thought i wasted my time asking about my daughter coz i understood nothing.

lastly on this. "when salaries of 30 00 baht per month are offered you'll be lucky to find quality teachers - particularly in a core subject." i really think its not true at all. like i have said last time, i have a son in secondary grade and he is being thought by really good teachers. he is more interested in learning now than the last two or more years. when i asked him some 8 months ago as to why he is more motivated to learn, his answer was short yet clear. "mommy i now have 3 excellent teachers in 3 important subjects." as it turned out, it was maths (which he has loved a lot since the filipino maths teacher came 3 years ago), english (because the teacher is making them work hard to develop their listening, reading, speaking and writing skills) and social studies (because he makes a boring subject interesting).

as a mother of 2 kids, i call this quality education. i have seen my 2 kids struggle badly in their studies before but its less this year. they really enjoyed this past year because they said the teachers are a lot better as teachers apart from being friendly.

What age is your daughter? What course book is she using?

Whilst I/we have a house near Cha-Am we commute, staying for two weeks, to Bangkok where I teach maths to G4, 5 & 6.

My students are being exposed to the U.K. SATS tests and perform reasonably well - some very well.

Very few of my 'kids' are 'luk kreungs' and all my teaching is in English - speaking in Thai is robustly discouraged!

We intend to return to live in our house within the next two years and we are looking at the local schooling options for our two young daughters.

Hence my interest in your comments.

Finally, I'm also from England so can you tell your son it's 'mummy' not 'mommy'. :o

• 2 weeks later...
go to somtawin and try talking to the teachers and students that the dude is working with and teaching. they will tell you how brilliant the dude is. yes, he's filipino but one thing you gotta do is really talk to him. his english is clear as an englishman's english. very clear i would say.

I have to say this is the first time I have heard the term 'dude' used by a woman, as you say you are 'artistbea'. You also seem to be bigging this 'dude' up quite a bit in the post.

Could it be that....... no, surely not......... is it possible????

IS 'ARTISTBEA' THE FILIPINO MATH TEACHER IN QUESTION??? :o

I have neglected the Hua Hin Forum, and for that I apologize. And while I'm confessing, I admit that my single encounter with one of the Filipino math teacher's students was, indeed, brief and inconclusive. artistbea was correct about that.

As for salaries of English-speaking teachers of subjects such as math(s), science, etc. in the Hua Hin area. I moderate the Teaching in Thailand forum on ThaiVisa, and read other Thai teaching forums. Right now on the ajarn jobs database, another school in Chiang Rai is offering about 32K a month for a math teacher, and they state in that ad that they do not want any more Filipinos, because they already have enough. I was tentatively offered such a job about two years ago, and they could not get applicants at 33K or 35K. It may have been a different school, but it was Chiang Rai, and they hired a Filipino for under 20K. I think a fair salary for a well-qualified, clearly intelligible-speaking good teacher in Hua Hin would be 40K. I know of math and science teachers who make over 60K and they are not in international schools.

I sympathize with the parents in the Hua Hin area who are trying to get a proper education for their children.