Living in contradiction?

I find it quite interesting coming from a capitalist country where money is suppose to rule yet people don't usually care about your earthly possessions or your job title etc. Each to their own we say. Yet for a highly spiritual people and living under the guidance of Buddha the first things I notice when my wife and her family or friends talk about when discussing a new person are what they own, how much they make, what they bought and the like.

Just wondering what your take is.

That's called 'face'.

That's part of Asian culture, where the more money and assets you own, then the greater your standing and respect in society.

When your wife or family discuss a persons wealth, they are actually discussing where that person fits into the pecking order in their society.

Didn't he / she do well for themselves, they have greater 'face' than someone who was less fortunate.

Edited by Faz

That's called 'face'.

That's part of Asian culture, where the more money and assets you own, then the greater your standing and respect in society.

When your wife or family discuss a persons wealth, they are actually discussing where that person fits into the pecking order in their society.

Didn't he / she do well for themselves, they have greater 'face' than someone who was less fortunate.

no matter how they gained said things!!

• Like 1

Most thai Buddhists are not highly spiritual as you imagine. A lot of the monks aren't either! Some of the superstar monks, big money monks, political monks don't take guidance from what the Buddha taught! If you come to this realization then it's will seem perfectly normal when locals are gossiping about wealth, status, clothes, cars etc.

Most thai Buddhists are not highly spiritual as you imagine. A lot of the monks aren't either! Some of the superstar monks, big money monks, political monks don't take guidance from what the Buddha taught! If you come to this realization then it's will seem perfectly normal when locals are gossiping about wealth, status, clothes, cars etc.

i agree with your observation. First time I noticed the contradiction was on my first trip to pattaya years ago. Got a girl from bar for a week and did the unholiest acts yet every time she passed a buhda shrine she'd do the respect gesture and sometimes would leave a fanta with a straw at it. Even took me to temple for prayer. I thought what the?

That's called 'face'.

This face bushiness is a load of <deleted>, its just a way of not being aloe to face up to your responsibility. I have an extended Thai family none of them have heard of losing face, we call it embarrassment because you have been caught out.

i agree with your observation. First time I noticed the contradiction was on my first trip to pattaya years ago. Got a girl from bar for a week and did the unholiest acts yet every time she passed a buhda shrine she'd do the respect gesture and sometimes would leave a fanta with a straw at it. Even took me to temple for prayer. I thought what the?

Maybe you should ahve looked inward, a sex tourist abusing poor Thai girls trying to make a living, I think what the F,

• Like 1

Anyone coming to Pattaya expecting to find the 2015 version of Gandhi needs access to a much better search engine. For that matter, how many Christians do you know who've taken a vow of poverty ? Last time I checked the Catholic Church was still the world's biggest land owner, and dont even get me started on the TV evangelists, Creflo Dollar aside - at least that guy is upfront about what he's in the business for ;)

OK - so he allegedly abused one of his kids - another tradition that's hardly new to the church. You've got to love someone who completely turns the vow of poverty on its head in favor of 'prosperity theology'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creflo_Dollar

Thongkorn, on 30 Mar 2015 - 01:05, said:
Faz, on 29 Mar 2015 - 23:43, said:

That's called 'face'.

This face bushiness is a load of <deleted>, its just a way of not being aloe to face up to your responsibility. I have an extended Thai family none of them have heard of losing face, we call it embarrassment because you have been caught out.

Yep, accusing or embarrassing someone in front of others degrades that person.

Asians call it 'face', how someone is held in esteem to others.

Accusing, embarrassing or confronting a Thai in the wrong manner in front of others is not the thing to do.

They may react by ignoring you, walking away or even worse attacking you.

They take it very seriously, they are proud people.

A Thai women will immediately gain face within her family and friends if she marries a farang for example, because they think we are considered wealthy.

In most cases that's true when you compare even a foreign pension against an average Thais earnings.

Maybe you should ahve looked inward, a sex tourist abusing poor Thai girls trying to make a living, I think what the F,
where did abuse come from? I had a blast. She had a great time in a five star hotel. She got paid 20000tbh. much more than agreed as she was fantastic. Win win for all. It was an observation not a criticism u fool. Lol

where did abuse come from? I had a blast. She had a great time in a five star hotel. She got paid 20000tbh. much more than agreed as she was fantastic. Win win for all. It was an observation not a criticism u fool. Lol

She was abused, she just didn't realize it at the time.

Of course we have to consider she prostituted herself to you and she was being paid to have a good time in other words she doing her job, but hey she was hooker and you were her "john" in 5 star hotel

A bit hypocritical don't you think when your commenting on her "religious " practice's and here is you buying sex off her

Thb 20,000 for the week wow last of the big spenders if my arithmetic is correct, you were paying her thb 119 an hour to stay with you

Maybe you should consider changing the title of your thread to " living in hypocrisy " ;)

Edited by Soutpeel

Bingo. That's exactly what I was saying. On one hand displaying religious behavior on the other hand prostituting herself. Your second paragraph doesn't make sense. Either can't comprehend (over your head) or a poor attempt at having a shot even though u missed the point. Lol

Bingo. That's exactly what I was saying. On one hand displaying religious behavior on the other hand prostituting herself. Your second paragraph doesn't make sense. Either can't comprehend (over your head) or a poor attempt at having a shot even though u missed the point. Lol

Oh dear another know it all sexpat has joined the ranks