Broke ankle in 3 spots

squatncrunch

Hello, my friend has just broken her ankle in 3 spots and needs surgery. We are in Pattaya and Memorial hospital is saying at least 200,000 baht, she can't afford this. We are looking into getting her back to the UK for surgery but not sure if she can fly in her state. She's in immense pain and a flight could be unbearable if even advisable.

I guess my question is , do you guys/gals think a place like Queen Sirikit will be cheaper or any recommendations. We have no car and moving on any level is almost unbearable. I can't just drag her around to a bunch of hospitals to get price quote. Any advise for us on anything pertaining to her situation would so appreciated. Thanks and have a good day.

I'm guessing queen Sirikit would be the cheaper option being a government hospital.

Taxi down there will probably cost around 600-800 baht.

Baht bus to sattahip is 20 baht but that will be slow and probably too painful.

Edited by longstebe

Hopefully the leg is in a cast..

She should be admitted asap to elevate the leg to reduce swelling prior to surgery. Ideally it should be operated within 7-10 days.

If flying with a cast, should should get a doctor's certificate to state that she is fit to fly and then a request for wheelchair assistance from the airline. She should fly in business class where she can elevate the leg during the flight; the cast must also be split prior to the flight to accommodate swelling that may occur during the flight.

Queen Sirikit in Sattahip is probably the best (and cheapest) option.

Agree, Queen Sirikit best option. I don't know what it will cost but will be less. Note that costs vary with type of room with ward being cheapest. Be sure to ask about this as often they will quote only most expensive room.

• Like 1

Two years ago I broke my left leg, left upper arm and my right big toe was just hanging there, I needed 3 operations, and 8 days in the hospital, total Bill including ambulance there and home, was ฿45,000. This was in a government hospital in Isaan.

Two years ago I broke my left leg, left upper arm and my right big toe was just hanging there, I needed 3 operations, and 8 days in the hospital, total Bill including ambulance there and home, was ฿45,000. This was in a government hospital in Isaan.

Bloody he!l George, what were you doing with yourself.

Motorbike accident, someone cut me off on his bike, I managed to avoid him, but dropped my bike doing it, tumbled over 5 or 6 times along the road until I finally stopped. Surprisingly enough the boy's family who cut me off ended up paying ฿30,000 and that added to the ฿15,000 the bike insurance paid covered the hospital bill.
  • Like 1

Motorbike accident, someone cut me off on his bike, I managed to avoid him, but dropped my bike doing it, tumbled over 5 or 6 times along the road until I finally stopped. Surprisingly enough the boy's family who cut me off ended up paying ฿30,000 and that added to the ฿15,000 the bike insurance paid covered the hospital bill.

Christ sake mate, glad your still with us to tell the tale.