Emergency Stops on a Motorcycle

onthewind

You seem to take great pleasure in trying to provoke me by constantly mentioning I have fallen off.

So what?

Really?

I fell off a scooter when larking around, you seem to constantly refer to it as a fault. You wrapped up in cotton wool and never fallen over?

Guy Martin has fallen off and crashed loads of times. Do you think you are a better rider than him too?

Also where have I said this is my opinion. This is a International recognised standard. no opinion required.

I think you overstate conditions in Bangkok as if it is somewhere special in the world. There are dozens of places with equally bad traffic problems.

Trying to say you have to ride in a special way just does not stand up and is a very poor argument.

I do totally agree it is for people to decide. Like I have said in the OP, go and practice. Try stopping as fast as you can. I have.

I have spent years on training areas watching people on 125's and 500cc motorcycles riding up and down practicing this.

I know what happens when you do it properly.

Maybe one day we can see if you are prepared to push a bike as far as I do when I am just playing.

Sometimes I push too far. Sometimes I might even fall off!!!!!

But if you don't then you will never know how far you can go.

How far can you go?

How fast can you stop a 1000cc motorcycle from 130mph?

I have twice had a rear tyre blow out on my bike while I have been travelling at over a ton.

Both times I have managed to stop the bike without falling off.

But back to opinions. I have received two 'opinions' in reply to my post on linkedin. One 'Opinion' is from the President of the International Motorcycle Gymkhana Association. The other is a Advisor on Road Safety to Shell and also ROSPA. Both commend me on a well written article. International Standard not minority opinion.

No need to get your knickers in a twist, dear.

You advocate not covering the brakes, four finger braking etc. That's fine, no skin off my nose. I merely put up a couple of differing views. Nothing to say what's right or wrong. Is this not allowed on your thread? Does everyone have to be in agreement before they can post on a thread that you started?

If I remember correctly, you mentioned being taken out a few times by other vehicles while splitting traffic and once when a car turned in front of you at an intersection. These are exactly the situations that emergency stops are meant to cover. Riders in Bangkok face this numerous times a day and they have honed their skills to adapt to local conditions. This doesn't make them expert riders, just safe.

Teaching novices to always cover the brake lever sure is wrong. An emergency stop is a really dangerous thing to do in traffic. And it usually does not start with moving the fingers on the brake lever. It starts with recognising a dangerous situation and making the decision that an emergency stop is needed. While deciding to do so there usually is enough time to move your fingers on the lever and most people would do so automatically.

Wrapping the fingers around the throttle gives the rider/novice more control. Later as an experienced rider you can decide on your own what to do. And some people start doing things with a racing attitude in mind. Why not, riding bikes is for having fun. Live and let live. Just my opinion.

You crashed on your scooter recently due to a little rain in Bangkok, presumably due to not reading the conditions correctly. In that sense, I agree that you should follow the OP's advice about emergency braking as that advice if obviously aimed at novices attempting to obtain their first licence.

Calling me a novice in this thread just shows you ran out of arguments. Instead of attacking me here, why do you not tell us your secret to "read such ice-like conditions" that made me crash? Maybe others can learn something from it. Should i stop everytime rain starts? Should i avoid bridges/overflys?