Pheu Thai warns impact of Article 44 will be worse than martial law

webfact

Does anyone in this forum know what is the reform process?

Please check the NRC website. May not help you much though. There's an American flag next to the Thai flag in the upper right corner, but it's a picture only, not a button. Might explain the visit counter still being on 30499 only.

http://rfm2.mod.go.th/home.aspx?lang=en-US

Edited by rubl

A lot of people seem to support Article 44 on the grounds that it will prevent the Red shirts from moving on the gov and indeed pursing another term in office. While many people would rather not see the Shinawatra family in power this decision should be left to the people of Thailand ... that my friends is democracy. Yes it could be argued that votes were paid for but that could be sorted if international independent adjudicators were allowed to oversee the process.

What Article 44 effectively does is give ultimate power to a single person and as such does not allow anyone to question their methods or decisions ... this is totalitarianism. The mantra that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely cannot be missed in Thailand's political scene ... it's always been that way and there are doubts this could change by handing over absolute power to one individual.

How long is it going to take before the international communities start piling on sanctions? Thailand has so many issues, air safety, human-trafficking, the abuse of basic human rights ... the list goes on and history tells us that democratic countries will avoid doing business with dictatorships where possible and certainly where it affects people's human rights.

I think this is a dangerous path that Thailand is now taking and could well lead to a ruling body similar to Myanmar and North Korea. Certainly it will never be able to emulate Singapore.

They all love a bit of 44 like they love a bit of authoritarian and dictatorial rule. Let's call a spade a shovel....the farang fascists are crawling out from under their rocks at a great rate and the further the government lurches to the right the more they froth at the mouth and spew their hatred of freedom and participatory democracy.

l

• Like 1

The Red shirt's are the problem! Under Article 44 the PM should have them all rounded up and put to work doing earthworks for the new Chinese railroad. Keep em busy for a few years!

Also the detail is in the headline - "Worse" worse for who ? I'd say generally good for Thailand and keeping Thaksins red terrorists and PTP under control while allowing the much needed reform process to continue without obstruction, so yes "worse" for Thaksin and his mob keeping their mouths shut and off the streets but "generally better" for the vast majority of Thai people who obey the law and don't want violent mobs on the streets.

what about the yellows tearorists that closed down BOTH airporst and destroyed gevenrment house ?????????????? What about suthep killing 900 people?????Stop being so onesided.

Finally new information. Please contact the UDD immediately about those 900 deaths. Also Robert A. and the ICC.

Mind you, with 93 deaths in 2010, 57 or so still missing (2012 figures) I wonder who the other 750 are.

A lot of people seem to support Article 44 on the grounds that it will prevent the Red shirts from moving on the gov and indeed pursing another term in office. While many people would rather not see the Shinawatra family in power this decision should be left to the people of Thailand ... that my friends is democracy. Yes it could be argued that votes were paid for but that could be sorted if international independent adjudicators were allowed to oversee the process.

What Article 44 effectively does is give ultimate power to a single person and as such does not allow anyone to question their methods or decisions ... this is totalitarianism. The mantra that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely cannot be missed in Thailand's political scene ... it's always been that way and there are doubts this could change by handing over absolute power to one individual.

How long is it going to take before the international communities start piling on sanctions? Thailand has so many issues, air safety, human-trafficking, the abuse of basic human rights ... the list goes on and history tells us that democratic countries will avoid doing business with dictatorships where possible and certainly where it affects people's human rights.

I think this is a dangerous path that Thailand is now taking and could well lead to a ruling body similar to Myanmar and North Korea. Certainly it will never be able to emulate Singapore.

I don't think you get it. Something that is bad is not bad if it is not used!!

It is there to preserve peace and order and to fix various problems such as the aviation problems that they have now as he can pass laws urgently as and when necessary . Why on earth are some people going overboard by this? He is not a dictator or bad man - he has a job to do that will benefit the nation and return it to proper and real democracy, nothing else. He is not corrupt and will not use article 44. to benefit himself. He is under total scrutiny in everything he does and has castigated those that practice opportunistic corruption. Surely you can see the number of people being brought to justice for corruption now - no matter who they are or their status.

Relax about this as it is a storm in a tea cup and nothing will come of it as long as you are law abiding and don't jeopardise the peace and quiet, simple as that!!

Abiding by the laws he dictates (without any prior debate or other independent scrutiny).......and not jeopardising what he regards (and he alone can define) as the peace and quiet, indeed it is as simple as that!

By the way,you started by stating that it "is not bad if it is not used." You then promptly gave an example of what it will be used for!biggrin.png

Edited by JAG

The Red shirt's are the problem! Under Article 44 the PM should have them all rounded up and put to work doing earthworks for the new Chinese railroad. Keep em busy for a few years!

Also the detail is in the headline - "Worse" worse for who ? I'd say generally good for Thailand and keeping Thaksins red terrorists and PTP under control while allowing the much needed reform process to continue without obstruction, so yes "worse" for Thaksin and his mob keeping their mouths shut and off the streets but "generally better" for the vast majority of Thai people who obey the law and don't want violent mobs on the streets.

what about the yellows tearorists that closed down BOTH airporst and destroyed gevenrment house ?????????????? What about suthep killing 900 people?????Stop being so onesided.

Finally new information. Please contact the UDD immediately about those 900 deaths. Also Robert A. and the ICC.

Mind you, with 93 deaths in 2010, 57 or so still missing (2012 figures) I wonder who the other 750 are.

Those dead or missing during the crackdown on drugs over a decade ago?

It is there to preserve peace and order and to fix various problems such as the aviation problems that they have now as he can pass laws urgently as and when necessary . Why on earth are some people going overboard by this? He is not a dictator or bad man - he has a job to do that will benefit the nation and return it to proper and real democracy, nothing else. He is not corrupt and will not use article 44. to benefit himself. He is under total scrutiny in everything he does and has castigated those that practice opportunistic corruption. Surely you can see the number of people being brought to justice for corruption now - no matter who they are or their status.

Relax about this as it is a storm in a tea cup and nothing will come of it as long as you are law abiding and don't jeopardise the peace and quiet, simple as that!!

You mean the controlled democracy where 74 (of 150) positions in government are reserved for military, police, Businessmen and other such unelected people!

A form of democracy that allows not only a shadow but a dual parallel government of unelected so and so's to form?

Does anyone in this forum know what is the reform process?

There does not seem to be any plan to reform anything other than making sure TS or his parties could not get in power.

All the other necessary reforms will simply be washed over as is already happening.

I think they know the priorities.

What use is it to have reforms and don't prevent the crooks coming back and reverse them?

The exact opposite of everything lucky11 says here would be sane, rational, coherent, accurate and intelligent.

• Like 1

Abiding by the laws he dictates (without any prior debate or other independent scrutiny).......and not jeopardising what he regards (and he alone can define) as the peace and quiet, indeed it is as simple as that!

By the way,you started by stating that it "is not bad if it is not used." You then promptly gave an example of what it will be used for!biggrin.png

He doesn't dictate the law. The laws are already set ie: you cannot walk next door and blow your neighbours brains out because you have a years old grudge against him.

It is not bad if it used in the wrong way - if it is used for legitimate beneficial reasons (as my example illustrated) then that is not a bad thing, is it?

The exact opposite of everything lucky11 says here would be sane, rational, coherent, accurate and intelligent.

........and way off the mark!!

what aspect concerns you exactly? I'd like to know what you are paranoid about.

He won't start rounding up the red supporting TV forum members and have them shot at dawn so I wouldn't disappear over the border to Laos just yet.

You mean the controlled democracy where 74 (of 150) positions in government are reserved for military, police, Businessmen and other such unelected people!

A form of democracy that allows not only a shadow but a dual parallel government of unelected so and so's to form?

"reserved"? I guess you refer to Senate to be appointed in part with both elected and appointed members to have to fulfil the same requirements.

Of course like you I'm still anxiously awaiting a near complete, new final draft of the new constitution. Makes it less necessary to do guesswork.

He doesn't dictate the law. The laws are already set ie: you cannot walk next door and blow your neighbours brains out because you have a years old grudge against him.

It is not bad if it used in the wrong way - if it is used for legitimate beneficial reasons (as my example illustrated) then that is not a bad thing, is it?

It is not needed for the sort of case you suggest - the laws, courts and appropriate punishments exist, they should be used.

It is not needed for " legitimate beneficial reasons". It is needed to ensure that he remains in power.

• Like 1

"he is not corrupt" lololol55555

How naïve can one get!!

Oh I do hope so!!!wai.gif.

As I write, my wife has just told me that article 44. is coming into being and is being reported on the Thai news - thought I'd share that good news with you!!

We're doomed, we're doomed!!

Edited by lucky11

"he is not corrupt" lololol55555

How naïve can one get!!

Do you know something that the rest of Thailand doesn't?

Yes, it is a bad thing.

The very existence of a law like this is a very bad thing and goes against every principle of democracy and morality.

Sorry red friends you already had your friend's chance at totalarianism and he used it to enrich himself and his cronies. When caught, he used a proxy to try and pass an amnesty to all and distort the checks and balance that are fundamental to democracy. Now is reset time and the ultimate power you are so afraid of has given a time frame to step down. Not just here in Thailand but to one of it's largest investors, Japan. Open your eyes and if possible your minds, or are you so indoctrinated with the past red propaganda that you only see what you want to see.?

• Like 1

"reserved"? I guess you refer to Senate to be appointed in part with both elected and appointed members to have to fulfil the same requirements.

Of course like you I'm still anxiously awaiting a near complete, new final draft of the new constitution. Makes it less necessary to do guesswork.

The correct Junta Orwellian terminology is "indirectly elected".

As I write, my wife has just told me that article 44. is coming into being and is being reported on the Thai news - thought I'd share that good news with you!!

And the US response.....

"While we would welcome the lifting of martial law, it is important that any new security measure end the practice of trying civilians in military courts, end detention without charge, and allow individuals to freely exercise fundamental rights, including the rights of freedom of expression and peaceful assembly. We are concerned that moving to a security order ... will not accomplish any of these objectives,"

Look at what you're supporting: trying civilians in military courts, detention without charge, censorship, restricted fundamental rights, no with to assembly.

What a charming fellow you must be.

And the US response.....

"While we would welcome the lifting of martial law, it is important that any new security measure end the practice of trying civilians in military courts, end detention without charge, and allow individuals to freely exercise fundamental rights, including the rights of freedom of expression and peaceful assembly. We are concerned that moving to a security order ... will not accomplish any of these objectives,"

Look at what you're supporting: trying civilians in military courts, detention without charge, censorship, restricted fundamental rights, no with to assembly.

Yeah, what sort of society is it when you can't lob a few grenades or fire indiscriminately at opposition political rallies. As for those kids, it was their own fault for being there, probably would have grown up to be yellows anyway.

• Like 1

And the US response.....

Yeah, what sort of society is it when you can't lob a few grenades or fire indiscriminately at opposition political rallies. As for those kids, it was their own fault for being there, probably would have grown up to be yellows anyway.

No grenades were lobbed before Suthep took to the streets, no grenades were lobbed during the initial protests when there was genuine mass support for the anti-amnesty rallies, no grenades were lobbed when Yingluck dissolved parliament and returned power to the people to decide who should govern the nation...............grenades began to be lobbed when the Suthep / military faction began losing their support when they switched their protest movement from anti-amnesty to anti-democracy. Without mass support the only way Suthep and the military could bring about the coup was to create an environment of fear and economic ruin. Grenades being lobbed benefitted Suthep and the military. Section 44 is not about stopping grenades being lobbed, if you don't want grenades lobbed all that needs to be done is for the minority to accept the wishes of the majority expressed at the ballot box.

Again, take a look at what you're supporting - it is nasty stuff that will only lead to more conflict, more violence and yes.....more grenades being lobbed.

• Like 1

And the US response.....

First of all, surely you can live with restriction of fundamental rights, without democracy for a year or so while he mends the electoral system and no rights of assembly without permission until the job is finished?

The court situation is not that different, less strict than marshal law in fact as they now have the right of appeal whereas before they didn't.

The detention without charge period is the same as marshal law, censorship laws are unchanged from marshal law.

Importantly, he can devise beneficial laws to expedite the introduction of much needed laws such as the aviation laws to comply with international standards.

In summary, THE WAY HE IS GOING TO USE article 44. is less prohibitive than marshal law. Business and the tourism industry are pleased that marshal law has been lifted and unconcerned about the introduction of article 44. as it is designed to deal with wrongdoers and those intent on spreading discontent amongst the people.

The only people vehemently against it are Human rights lawyers which proves that it is the right thing to do!!

I am in fact a charming fellow - strong views and highly principled perhaps and willing to fight my corner without question on issues that are important to the people of Thailand, but that is just the way I am.

There, I hope that you can sleep easy tonight and that I have allayed your fears!!

And the US response.....

First of all, surely you can live with restriction of fundamental rights, without democracy for a year or so while he mends the electoral system and no rights of assembly without permission until the job is finished?

The court situation is not that different, less strict than marshal law in fact as they now have the right of appeal whereas before they didn't.

The detention without charge period is the same as marshal law, censorship laws are unchanged from marshal law.

Importantly, he can devise beneficial laws to expedite the introduction of much needed laws such as the aviation laws to comply with international standards.

In summary, THE WAY HE IS GOING TO USE article 44. is less prohibitive than marshal law. Business and the tourism industry are pleased that marshal law has been lifted and unconcerned about the introduction of article 44. as it is designed to deal with wrongdoers and those intent on spreading discontent amongst the people.

The only people vehemently against it are Human rights lawyers which proves that it is the right thing to do!!

I am in fact a charming fellow - strong views and highly principled perhaps and willing to fight my corner without question on issues that are important to the people of Thailand, but that is just the way I am.

There, I hope that you can sleep easy tonight and that I have allayed your fears!!

" The way he is going to use Art 44 is less prohibitive than marshal ( sic ) law. "

How can you say the way he is going to use, are you one of his confidants ?

And the US response.....

" The way he is going to use Art 44 is less prohibitive than marshal ( sic ) law. "

How can you say the way he is going to use, are you one of his confidants ?

No I am not!!

I trust him and believe him, that's all.