Workers in Thailand Seek Minimum Wage of 360 Baht

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-83476300-1427840349_thumb.

Workers in Thailand are calling for a minimum wage of 360 baht. Currently, minimum wage is set at 300 baht per day. Led by the Thai Labour Solidarity Committee (TLSC), workers are seeking higher wages to offset current economic conditions.

A recent study shows that 90% of workers are currently supporting another person that has no income.

The TLSC states that cost of living is rising, while wages remain stagnant. Food prices and basic utility charges are among the two examples of rising prices that are not taken into consideration under the current minimum wage.

Wilaiwan Sae Tia, the president of the TLSC, has asked the government to disband current labor committees. Tia states that these committees have not been representing their workers properly. According to Tia, the committees have not been seeking a guarantee wage adjustment and benefits that workers need.

The same study previously mentioned also asked the 2,900 participants about the average cost of living increase. Participants state that in August of 2013, the cost of living was 352 baht, but as of March 2015, the cost has risen to 360 baht.

Wilaiwan Sae Tia is calling on the government to make annual minimum wage adjustments. Tia further states that the slight increase is not what the workers truly deserve. Instead, she states that minimum wage should be 400 – 500 baht a day. Workers are currently able to survive off of overtime and additional work.

The minimum wage increase would make sense for the country. Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has asked all low-income people to register with the government. The registration would provide assistance to these families.

Registration will include names, assets and income so that the government could plan assistance measures that would be distributed after the current harvest season.

Wage increases would help alleviate some of the country’s assistance burdens in the future.

tvn.png
-- 2015-03-31

A 20% wage increase? That seems a hell of a lot to be asking.

I cannot see them getting it.

I would raise that to a thousand. That should teach them that a thousand or ten thousand has no meaning to one who cannot get a job.

• Like 2

Some people are actually working so give them the pay of the other half that is checkibg their Line zn d Facebook Apps whole day. The equation work ethics = pay doesnt really work here unfortunately.

Higher pay leads to inflation as money doent grow on trees.

I am all for fair wages. We pay our workers much more the 300 per day and they do work hard for it.

Wage and minimum wage increases should be annually in a percentage rate that reflects reality. So 3 to 5% I would imagine.

Been three years or more since last raise, so 15% now seems fair then?

• Like 1

Yes, higher wages means less work = increased competition.

I would increase it even more.

Then introduce taxes.

One thing I do not understand is income tax rate in Thailand. As I understand income is not taxed unless over 250k annually or similar. This makes it on par with Canada where renting one bedroom is over $1000 a month vs Thailand where cost of living is generally lower.

• Like 1

I would raise that to a thousand. That should teach them that a thousand or ten thousand has no meaning to one who cannot get a job.

Also it won't make any difference to those who have no idea about budgeting :D They will still burn it like paper on crappy purchases..

• Like 1

"Wilaiwan Sae Tia is calling on the government to make annual minimum wage adjustments."

That used to be till the previous government came with the "300 Baht a day" election promise and raised the "mission accompliced" sign later 2012. At which time they also stated that price rises where just imagination.

• Like 1

Judged by the popularity of threads like:

"My favorite gourmet meal at 7-Eleven" or "The validity of the rebate coupons at at 7-Eleven"

it seems like 360 baht/day in in line with the average disposable income of the average Thaivisa poster................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Judged by the popularity of threads like:

"My favorite gourmet meal at 7-Eleven" or "The validity of the rebate coupons at at 7-Eleven"

it seems like 360 baht/day in in line with the average disposable income of the average Thaivisa poster................coffee1.gif

What with 7/11 snacks so popular with Thai (and mom & pop shops declining) the average disposable income here may be more than that. Of course that's in Bangkok where life is cheaper and people have more money, allegedly that is.

A hourly rate for pay would make more sense ,

so people working 12 hours will get more than people working 8

That's what happens at the moment. Read up on the Thai Labour Law and the overtime regulations.

No way! How could the likes of Toyota, Cargill and Ford pay employees $11 per day, up from $10 per day. Greedy workers!

Are you actually aware of how much Toyota and Ford pay their employees and how much the end of year bonus was ?

Have you seen the workers benefits package at these 2 companies too ?

No, I though not.

• Like 1

but in the future maybe on the streets, as soon as things in Thailand get out o control again,... wanna bet?

That is an amazing, well thought out suggestion to thrust the economy forward, lower costs of living and benefit everyone :-) "Cost of living is going up so I need more money." Yes...so we can give it to you; but by the way, the cost of living will now go up again, to support the increase you ask for. "Oh...I did not think of that. So I will be just the same, as I was before and no better off ?" Yes. By the way you don't pay or hardly pay tax, so you don't pay anything for the roads, lighting and schools you use anyway as you are below the tax threshold. But we can start charging you for that if you like. You get that free courtesy of the people who pay tax. "Oh I did not think of that."

​Sorry for my sarcasm as I would love for everyone in the world to have lots of money and everyone do well. Good luck with that.

Edited by davidcc
  • Like 1