Obama urges unity in Nigeria after historic election

webfact

Obama urges unity in Nigeria after historic election

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is urging both the winner and loser in Nigeria's presidential elections to work together to unify Nigeria.

Obama spoke separately on Wednesday with Muhammadu Buhari, who was declared the winner, and outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan.

The White House says Obama applauded Jonathan for putting the country and its people first by urging his supporters to accept the election outcome. In his call with Buhari, Obama thanked the president-elect for promoting calm and peaceful voting.

Obama is noting the challenges facing Nigeria, including the threat from the extremist group Boko Haram. He says the U.S. will keep supporting Nigeria as it confronts those challenges.

Buhari is the first opposition party candidate to win elections in Nigeria. His victory ended Jonathan's bid for another term.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-02

Nigeria is worth watching closely. The ends of Boko Haram and Buhari are virtually the same. Indeed, I would not be surprised if many of the means were compatible. But Buhari won in no small part because of his abusing Boko Haram publicly and declaring he will fix the problem; I think he will fix the problem, but not in the way imagined. IMO, I see the Nigerian election as a "+" in the Islamic Jihad column. Buhari wants Sharia law. Sharia law would require 50% of the country to live as dhimmis, second class citizens who have to pay a tax and be made to feel subdued in order to remain christians. There is only one way this will play out should Buhari move toward an Islamic State declaration.