Article 44 'not a problem,' says Prayut

webfact

Article 44 'Not a Problem,' Says Prayuth
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Thailand's junta chairman has brushed off concerns about Article 44, a constitutional clause invoked last night that grants him near-absolute power.

"No problem," Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha told reporters today when he was asked to comment on the Article, which he used for the first time last night after repealing martial law.

Pressed by journalists to comment, the general waved his hand and said, "What? It's nothing. It's been there all along. I have always had it, you know, Article 44."

Gen. Prayuth made another brief comment to reporters earlier in the day, saying he has been "in good mood" since last night.

Article 44 of the interim charter, which was penned by the junta shortly after the May 2014 coup, authorizes Gen. Prayuth to unilaterally intervene in the face of any perceived threats to national security, the economy, the monarchy, or state affairs. Any order Gen. Prayuth promulgates through Article 44 will be deemed legal and binding, the clause states.

Citing the Article, Gen. Prayuth issued several orders last night to retain key powers granted to the military under martial law, such as soldiers’ authority to detain suspects without charge, censor the media, and ban political gatherings, among other powers.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1427958463

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-04-02

Why are you all afraid of article 44?

What have you done or intend doing to be so afraid of it?

Or it's because you have to write something against the Prime Minister.

Don't worry your lives will not change to the slightest but I'm sorry can't help you of being miserable.

Nobody can more miserable than who enjoys and celebrates at journalists being threatened of summary executions and students and teachers jailed and tortured to death and children being enforced to slavery.(who dared to denunce it is himself in jail)

Let's hope this will happen to Greece too. Countries don't need democracy , they need discipline, obedience and military dictatorships.

As some Thai generals said few years ago, 150 000 deaths are a good price to keep the power, I think next time Greeks will protest for lack of job or food , the army should shoot a couple of millions of them. In this way they will go in the perfect path of happiness and "peace" you wish for Thailand.

Edited by max72
  • Like 1

"Article 44 of the interim charter, which was penned by the junta shortly after the May 2014 coup, authorizes Gen. Prayuth to unilaterally intervene in the face of any perceived threats to national security, the economy, the monarchy, or state affairs. Any order Gen. Prayuth promulgates through Article 44 will be deemed legal and binding, the clause states."

BullShit. It was not penned at that time, and has been penned in very recent times - 2 months.

Prove to me, seeing as you wrote this, that it was penned SHORTLY after May 2014.

This is a downright lie. I dare you to answer me - reporters.

• Like 2

Why are you all afraid of article 44?

What have you done or intend doing to be so afraid of it?

Or it's because you have to write something against the Prime Minister.

Don't worry your lives will not change to the slightest but I'm sorry can't help you of being miserable.

Did you ask Theinsutham Suthijittaseranee?

• Like 1

It might be a problem now. The U.S. just said they weren't to happy about it. And I sure other countries are not either.

link! ...... where the US said not too happy about it.

From another thread on the subject today:

The State Department said in an email to AFP that it had yet to see full details of the proposal, but that it would welcome the lifting of martial law.

"It is important that any new security measure end the practice of trying civilians in military courts, end detention without charge, and allow individuals to freely exercise fundamental rights, including the rights of freedom of expression and peaceful assembly," the statement late Wednesday added.

"We are concerned that moving to a security order under Article 44 will not accomplish any of these objectives. We would welcome the actual, full restoration of civil liberties in Thailand," it said.

• Like 2

I can almost understand, which is worrying, why the PM is happy.

Internationally denounced over martial law he has scrapped it, so now everyone abroad will be happy as well.

Article 44 is not martial law so surely no fair minded person could complain about it and anyone who does is obviously unfair which is why Article 44 is in place.

Surely no one can see the harm in that ?.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I can almost understand, which is worrying, why the PM is happy.

Internationally denounced over martial law he has scrapped it, so now everyone abroad will be happy as well.

Article 44 is not martial law so surely no fair minded person could complain about it and anyone who does is obviously unfair which is why Article 44 is in place.

Surely no one can see the harm in that ?.

Still sponsoring crisps, Gary?

Edit: ooops... misread the name. giggle.gif

• Like 1

It might be a problem now. The U.S. just said they weren't to happy about it. And I sure other countries are not either.

Thailand martial law replacement criticised by US

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32157204

Appreciated. wai.gif

A shame it didn't explain the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, - in-depth.

Thailand martial law replacement criticised by US

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32157204

Appreciated. wai.gif

A shame it didn't explain the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, - in-depth.

What truth are you looking for???

Appreciated. wai.gif

What truth are you looking for???

the rejection of ubhatobhayañjanaka ?