This year's songkran is 3 days starting on the 13th of april?

Howitzer

It never used to be like it is today, I don't recall folks not wanting to join in being drenched on public transport 20 years ago, or bike riders having a bucket of water chucked at them as they ride past. It's all very much out of hand and it's been encouraged by TAT over the years into the excess at tourist dumps like KSR and Pattaya. Anyone drenching people who do not want to participate deserves a good thumping, and after the set dates even more so.

??????

Back in '96 it was full on, and I'm sure it didn't start in '96.

Buckets of water in bike riders faces and through bus windows etc etc.

The only difference back then was that they didn't use ice.

I have no problem with Songkran. I can sit somewhere with a cold beer and from time to time some people throw (ice cold) water on my head.

The only thing I can't deal with is that kind of people who think it's funny to shoot you with a strong water gun directly in the eyes. That really pisses me off.

For Songkran haters, there's always the option of locking yourself in the home until it passes. If that's not enough, leave the country. May be a good time to visit friends and family abroad. Those who slam it must realize, it's endemic and isn't going to stop because you don't like it. Stay in..., leave the country...., or join in. If you choose the latter, get out, chant a few verses of [sawatdee pi mai kahp] with baby powder smears, and cool down with some water. Then go home and be happy.

For those who participate, yes, some will be shameless fools. I find the largest percentage of them to be farang. ENTIRELY too many will die on the highways. That's due to a number of factors better debated on a separate topic and forum.

I'll go out for a day (maybe 2) because I enjoy it.

Yeah, I get that, and I can live with a drenching, but 9 days of having drunken Farang halfwits throwing buckets of filthy water filled with ice at people on motorbikes and in baht buses (ie defenceless) will undoubtedly fire me up : I'm afraid home detention may be my only option as I've postponed my trip to PP in favor of a permanent move. C'est la vie.