30 day visa on arrival? Dont count on it.

...none of this kind of stuff on show in very recent, 6, one hour per episode, series on BBC 3 TV, called, inaccurately, '' Bangkok Airport'' ( final episode may still be available online on BBC I-player)....there was a high ranking female immigration woman featured (as some kind of strict disciplinarian), whose surname was ' Muay'-maybe she is the Colonel in question.....

I was stopped at Don Mueang last January. It was my seventh trip in 20 months, always 30 days, never back to back.

After stating that my passport had many entries, the lady immigration officer called over another lady officer (I imagine more senior).

The boss had a look at my passport.

She asked why I come to Thailand so much? "I love it here, and I have a girlfriend here"

Do I own a bar? "No, but I can be found in one quite often." (keeping it light)biggrin.png

I asked if there was a problem. She said no, but if the entries were back to back, there would be.

She then gave me a 30 day stamp and gave me back my passport.

I asked her if I need a visa next time. No, she said, and I was on my way.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<have a friend who works abroad. He regularly flies into Thailand and has done so for many years.

He has never used anything other the VE entries and has never been "harassed" or "hassled" despite visiting every 2-3 months and never stays longer than 28-29 days.

I wonder how/why some people seem to "attract" attention ?

Not sure why are you responding to me. Check on which post you are when hitting the quote button.

Anyway what you fail to understand is that now there is an automatic warning system in Immigration database. No need for the person to attract attention as you insinuate.

Why the "aggressive " response ?

I am aware of the "warning" system and I am sure my friend a has caused it to "flash " on more than one occasion!

All I am pointing out is that some and not others seem to "attract " attention !

Seems clear you are one of the "Thais can do no wrong" and it is always the foreigners fault in these cases.

I walked up to the counter and presented my passport and arrival card. Nothing more or less.

Basing your assessment on a single friend who comes every 2-3 months is hardly valid. If he comes every 3 months, he does 3 entries a year. Even at 2 months, he only comes 4 times. Myself and many others have been told that the computer flags anyone coming over 6 times.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<have a friend who works abroad. He regularly flies into Thailand and has done so for many years.

He has never used anything other the VE entries and has never been "harassed" or "hassled" despite visiting every 2-3 months and never stays longer than 28-29 days.

I wonder how/why some people seem to "attract" attention ?

Not sure why are you responding to me. Check on which post you are when hitting the quote button.

Anyway what you fail to understand is that now there is an automatic warning system in Immigration database. No need for the person to attract attention as you insinuate.

Why the "aggressive " response ?

I am aware of the "warning" system and I am sure my friend a has caused it to "flash " on more than one occasion!

All I am pointing out is that some and not others seem to "attract " attention !

Seems clear you are one of the "Thais can do no wrong" and it is always the foreigners fault in these cases.

I walked up to the counter and presented my passport and arrival card. Nothing more or less.

Basing your assessment on a single friend who comes every 2-3 months is hardly valid. If he comes every 3 months, he does 3 entries a year. Even at 2 months, he only comes 4 times. Myself and many others have been told that the computer flags anyone coming over 6 times.

Mathematically challenged ?

12/3= 4

12/2= 6

Now go away !

I was told to get a visa last February at Don Muang, said 6 visits on exemption was the limit. I'll be back in May and if Thailand doesn't want my tourist dollars I know Cambodia or Laos will gladly take them.

Beside the lifestyle differences, Cambodia would also take $35 per entry or $300 one year in visa fees. I don't think Laos is very different.

I was told to get a visa last February at Don Muang, said 6 visits on exemption was the limit. I'll be back in May and if Thailand doesn't want my tourist dollars I know Cambodia or Laos will gladly take them.

Beside the lifestyle differences, Cambodia would also take $35 per entry or $300 one year in visa fees. I don't think Laos is very different.

The thing I like about Cambodia is you can get a visa at their airport where in Thailand (me being from a G7 country) you can't. Another good thing is their visas are available by email off their website, highly convienient. $300 for a yearly visa, good deal imho.

If Thailand doesn't want the trouble of accomodating G7 visa exemptions and their tourist dollars, I wish they'd make obtaining a visa a little easier, maybe follow Cambodia's lead for instance.

Hardly.

He stays a month each time. So he comes January 1 and stays a month. He waits 3 months and comes again. It is now May 1. He stays a month, goes back and waits 3 months. Comes back again Sep 1. Stays a month and goes back. Comes back again January 1. Came 3 times.

He comes January 1 and stays a month. Goes back, waits 2 months and comes back. It is April 1. Stays a month and goes back for 2 months. Comes back July 1. Stays a month and repeats. Comes back Oct 1. Stays a month and comes back. On January 1. He came 4 times.

Apparently it is you who is challenged.

I'm sorry, but without going into the rest of your argument with nzexpat, linguistically and mathematically he is correct. Your first friend doesn't come every three months - he comes every four months. And your second friend comes every three months - not every two months as you wrote in your post.

You wrote:

Sophon

A member was questioned about the "180 day limit". I believe s/he was referring to the requirement that citizens of certain countries can enter Thailand for 30 days on a visa exemption for a total of 90 days within any 180 day period (i.e., supposedly 3 exempt entries in 6 months). I think the intent was to limit the number of visa runs possible using exemptions when they implemented this a few years back. My experience in Thailand is that it's quite possible some Immigration Officers "overlook" this even if they are aware of it.

My Thai wife and I visit Thailand every year for 5-6 months. I've used visa exemption with renewal, Tourist Visa and Non-Immigration Type "O". I have been reluctant to get a Type "O-A" visa because of the requirement to get a re-entry permit every time we leave. The main difference I see between the "O" and "OA" visas other than the financial requirements is the requirement to leave the country every 90 days, rather than just report. My wife and I come and go a lot to visit family in Cambodia wh

A member was questioned about the "180 day limit". I believe s/he was referring to the requirement that citizens of certain countries can enter Thailand for 30 days on a visa exemption for a total of 90 days within any 180 day period (i.e., supposedly 3 exempt entries in 6 months). I think the intent was to limit the number of visa runs possible using exemptions when they implemented this a few years back. My experience in Thailand is that it's quite possible some Immigration Officers "overlook" this even if they are aware of it.

The regulation you mentioned has been repealed in 2008, see link below.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy778-2551_en.pdf

My Thai wife and I visit Thailand every year for 5-6 months. I've used visa exemption with renewal, Tourist Visa and Non-Immigration Type "O". I have been reluctant to get a Type "O-A" visa because of the requirement to get a re-entry permit every time we leave.

With an "O-A" you don't need a re-entry permit the first year. If you only need to stay 5 months you can obtain a 60 days extension of stay, cost Bt 1,900.

Edited by paz