First Time Visit To Thailand (2 Months)

hi guys :o

i've read all the topics and don't worry i did search before posting :D

my situation is that i am swiss citizen, with legal residence in canada. i want to travel around thailand (bangkok, phuket) for 2 months. i am in bkk right now on a 30 days on-entry visa (got it at the airport). my stay will run out in 2 weeks but i would like to extend it for another month to travel around. now i read somewhere that you can extend the 30 days on-entry visa for 10 more days, but i also read on some places that you cant.

my question is, what is the best way?

1. go out of thailand (ie. malaysia) for a few days and travel there, then come back to thailand for another 30 days at the airport to complete my trip?

2. go to canada or malaysia to get a 30 (or was it 60?) days non immigrant visa?

reason i ask is i have traveled in the US last year on a 30 days visa and wanted to extend it, could not, came back into the US after a few days and got denied because of illegal immigration grounds - because i applied for 30 days twice in a row. total crap, since i had just finished 3 years of immigration to get legal residence in canada, where i live.

i am guessing it takes less time if i go out of thailand and come back in for another 30 days stamp, but will i get problems if i do this?

any minimum time i have to stay out of thailand before coming back?

note this is my first trip to thiland in my entire life :D

(and do not advise overstaying, please. i want to do everything legally and dont mind flying somewhere).

You seem like a good enough fellow - welcome.

I'm no expert (there are some very knowledgeable members on this forum who can give you some good advice) but as for going out of Thailand and coming back again - no minimum time to stay out.

Most of the 'border-run' options are set up such that you can turn around and come straight back again.

Happy Travels. Good Luck.

Thanks a lot for your response. I think the best is if i go to the main immigration office on Monday morning and ask them there how to proceed. I read in some places that you cannot extend the 30 days on-entry stamp, but then i read a post today from a long time member of this forum that they do extend it 10 days.

Thanks a lot for your response. I think the best is if i go to the main immigration office on Monday morning and ask them there how to proceed. I read in some places that you cannot extend the 30 days on-entry stamp, but then i read a post today from a long time member of this forum that they do extend it 10 days.

They usually grant a ten day extension, Why, oh why didn't you apply for a 60 day tourist visa before you left home. That type of visa is extendable by another 30 days.

Yes i know, i'm stupid. But i was so excited for my first trip that i forgot. Now i gotta go the hard way i guess, but its okay. If i go outside to apply for a new 30 days entry pass or a visa, i will probably go to Malaysia for a few weeks while i'm here :D:o You dont travel 27 hours around the world every day.

Are you sure they grant a 10 days extension to a 30 days on-arrival visa stamp? I contacted the Thai Consulate and they said that extensions cannot be granted for that type.

No Thai Embassy or Consulate can extend a visa. They issue, the Department of Immigration extends. Ten days extension will be OK