Importing a harley

yorkieb

I know its a no no to import a bike into Thailand, however is the following a possible way around it.

I plan to retire to Thailand in about 2 years (my Thai wife will return to Thailand with me). I have a custom Harley which I would like to bring with me. If I transfer it with dvla into here name now she will have owned it for more than 18month prior to our arrival and I think as a Thai national is exempt from import tax. Is this possible or am I missing something obvious.

My question was can a Thai national import a motorbike if returning to Thailand if as the other thread note if owned by them for more than 18 months. Obviously with the correct import licence but without the tax imposed on a farang.

My question was can a Thai national import a motorbike if returning to Thailand if as the other thread note if owned by them for more than 18 months. Obviously with the correct import licence but without the tax imposed on a farang.

Import license is given only to business. Not to individuals.

Yes, it's possible for her to bring in the bike if it's been registered in her name for at least 18 months (though it will be a paperwork nightmare and there are no guarantees)- no, it will not be tax-exempt, and will likely cost an amount that would make it a foolish venture in light of what can be purchased locally.

Here's the official info- http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

Note that the laws have actually tightened up and that the information in that link is a bit dated and makes it seem like a more straight-forward process than it actually is. The government has made the personal importation of vehicles nearly impossible over the last couple of years, and it's basically become the sole province of professional importers.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

IMPORTING USED / SECONDHAND HOUSEHOLD EFFECTS

Returning Thai residents who have been abroad for one year or longer, for the purposes other than touring are eligible to bring in household effects acquired abroad free of taxes and duties. In addition, nonresidents changing their residence to Thailand may import the household effects subject to the conditions stated below without payment of import taxes duties.

The term “household effects” includes all goods which are normally necessary to equip a self-contained home e.g. furniture, carpets, books, musical instruments, paintings, tableware, stereos, linens, and similar household furnishings, etc. To be eligible for tax and duty free allowance, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence. It is important that the importers meet the three requirements of ownership, possession, and use. For example, if they owned and possessed the goods without using them, the goods would be subject to regular taxes and duties. Personal effects accompanied with the owner traveling into or out of Thailand, including any goods used or will be used commercially are not eligible as household effects and cannot brought in tax and duty free as the household effects. NOTE: Motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and tobacco are excluded from this relief.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

Edited by Suradit69

18 Months is not required as far as I remember, I believe as was our case that the "Thai" needed to be outside of Thailand for not less than 12 months, if you go and look up a decent moving company they will advise you.

your wife will need photocopies of every page of her passport proving she has been living outside of Thailand for 12 months. The guys I used 15 years ago seem to have gone out of business. (I think they were taken over by something like Asian Tiger)

Seriously, give a good company a ring and you might be surprised just what they can do for you. We had a 3 bed apartment packed by the company boxed, shipped, customs cleared and delivered from Shanghai to Chiang Mai for about 1200 USD - They sent packers to out home and di everything, great service.

Not sure where you would find out but Thais that have lived abroad for a period of more than 1 year were at one time able to import motor vehicles exempt of tax. I do know of a lady that brought an Audi TT from Wales at a fraction of the cost it was here. I would "assume" Harleys are classed the same....There has been some changes in the laws as many were bringing in supercars from Malaya....not the best forum o get info from, maybe re post in the auto forum for more useful replies

As it's custom, could you strip the custom bits, import only those, buy a bike in LOS, and bolt your bits on that?

Disclaimer: I have no idea if that would be possible or save you money. Might be an option though.

• Like 1

Not sure where you would find out but Thais that have lived abroad for a period of more than 1 year were at one time able to import motor vehicles exempt of tax. I do know of a lady that brought an Audi TT from Wales at a fraction of the cost it was here. I would "assume" Harleys are classed the same....There has been some changes in the laws as many were bringing in supercars from Malaya....not the best forum o get info from, maybe re post in the auto forum for more useful replies

Not possible to import, with our without taxes, and not possible to register.. Read positing above starting from #2..

One thing that has not been mentioned ...

Since late 2012 no second hand motorcycles imported into Thailand are able to be registered with DLT.

So even if you made it through Customs, the DLT hurdle seems insurmountable.

Long time importer Hot Rod HD in Pattaya can only register new ones. And he has a friend who has a friend ... and is Thai

A "Pinned" thread has been added to the top of this forum as suggested. If there is anything you feel that should be added please PM Seedy or Myself and we will add it. Please ensure the information is current, accurate etc and provide relevant link if appropriate.

Thanks

Ok seriously, when are these "import vehicle" questions going to end. It's like every other day some genius thinks he can get his car or bike here regardless of COUNTLESS threads confirming he can't. Enough already.

As long as people are too lazy to use the search button or simply use google these stories will keep coming but its great entertainment.

But some farang think they can out smarten the custom department ,especially the ones who know "big people" in Thailand. What they fail to see is that most of these " big people" got their position and money from lying, stealing and corruption. They just will be another easy mark and fleeced like so many before them have.

• Like 2

Import license is given only to business. Not to individuals.

...and to diplomats!

Yes, it's possible for her to bring in the bike if it's been registered in her name for at least 18 months (though it will be a paperwork nightmare and there are no guarantees)- no, it will not be tax-exempt, and will likely cost an amount that would make it a foolish venture in light of what can be purchased locally.

Here's the official info- http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+personal+vehicle/importingpersonalvehicle+

Note that the laws have actually tightened up and that the information in that link is a bit dated and makes it seem like a more straight-forward process than it actually is. The government has made the personal importation of vehicles nearly impossible over the last couple of years, and it's basically become the sole province of professional importers.

You should have added this disclaimer sir to your bold 2009 link above. (WARNING: The information in this website is intended as a general guideline only and subject to changes without prior notice. It does not in any way replace or supersede Customs and related laws or regulations. Before relying on the information on the Website, users should independently verify its accuracy, completeness and relevance for their purposes.)

Just wondering if it is possible to build a kit car or custom bike from scratch and then get it inspected and registered as a new vehicle in the same way as you can in the UK on a 'Q' plate??

If that is do-able then the OP could maybe strip his Harley prior to shipping the parts in several separate shipments, then re-assemble it and register it as a new vehicle?

Edited by Shadychris

You should have added this disclaimer sir to your bold 2009 link above. (WARNING: The information in this website is intended as a general guideline only and subject to changes without prior notice. It does not in any way replace or supersede Customs and related laws or regulations. Before relying on the information on the Website, users should independently verify its accuracy, completeness and relevance for their purposes.)

I would have thought saying that the information was dated and that the laws have tightened up making it virtually impossible to personally import a vehicle would have sufficed.

Just wondering if it is possible to build a kit car or custom bike from scratch and then get it inspected and registered as a new vehicle in the same way as you can in the UK on a 'Q' plate??

If that is do-able then the OP could maybe strip his Harley prior to shipping the parts in several separate shipments, then re-assemble it and register it as a new vehicle?

You will still run up against the DLT rule saying you can not register a used bike.

Unless you can provide a MSO - Manufacturers Statement of Origin - and proof that it has passed Emission Certification, you are out of luck.

They have just had a big crack down on Thai's that bring cars in as parts then have them put together here. It will be cheaper to buy here and start over. About 8 months ago I read about a guy who had his bike stuck at customs for 9 months. She may not have to pay tax but the TEA MONEY will break you.

• Like 1

They have just had a big crack down on Thai's that bring cars in as parts then have them put together here. It will be cheaper to buy here and start over. About 8 months ago I read about a guy who had his bike stuck at customs for 9 months. She may not have to pay tax but the TEA MONEY will break you.

And you are not even counting the storage fees in the bonded customs warehouse. And knowing the Royal Thai Customs Department they probably added that to the "declared" value

Guys,

A bit of help if possible please.

I have a 2002 400cc Honda Shadow Slasher that I purchased for 130,000 TBH from Big Bikes in Bangkok approx 4 years ago (unregistered).

I have the Tax Invoice and also all the parts lists showing it was imported from Japan in parts and reassembled.

Owner of the bike shop told me it would probably cost me close to the purchase price to register so just ride as is and pay the 200TBH if pulled up.

I did that for 3 years and rode all over Thailand to "Bike Weeks" everywhere and never had a problem.

Now settled permanently in Isaan so would like to ride "legally" as the local cops would see me as an easy way to make money everytime I came to town on my bike (if they didn't decide to confiscate).

Any suggestions or assistance greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

BB

Guys,

A bit of help if possible please.

I have a 2002 400cc Honda Shadow Slasher that I purchased for 130,000 TBH from Big Bikes in Bangkok approx 4 years ago (unregistered).

I have the Tax Invoice and also all the parts lists showing it was imported from Japan in parts and reassembled.

Owner of the bike shop told me it would probably cost me close to the purchase price to register so just ride as is and pay the 200TBH if pulled up.

I did that for 3 years and rode all over Thailand to "Bike Weeks" everywhere and never had a problem.

Now settled permanently in Isaan so would like to ride "legally" as the local cops would see me as an easy way to make money everytime I came to town on my bike (if they didn't decide to confiscate).

Cheers,

BB

very simple, sell the shadow and buy a fully registered bike,

This will be the only way for you to ever drive 100% legal.

• Like 2

Your bike cannot be registered, You can go to DLT and related agents and see if you find someone that can help you. Likewise get in contact with police, discuss the problem and obtain some business cards to show in case you are pulled over. Also, the bike can't be insured.

I think you knew all that well when you got the bike.

As I have said here many times you have to obtain permission to import fromthe Department of Commerce prior to bringing a vehicle to Thailand. This can take several years to obtain, a Englishman I know imported his classic Mg/TD several years ago and he has given presentations about what it took to obtain the permission, he didn't pay tea money. Obtaining this permission is why vehicles set in a impound lot for years waiting.