WARNING DTAC SCAM

pattayasnowman

OK Scam may be too strong - but you be the judge

Here's the story.

I use DTACC Pre Paid Unlimited Internet Access plan that cost 399.00 baht / month. I use it exclusively on an Aic Card. No phone calls or text messages are made with the same number.

So I expect my total charges per month to be 399.00 baht

On March 7th 2015 my credit was 737.00 baht - the next day my Internet access plan was paid - 399.00 so I expected a balance of 338.00 at the end of the period April 7th 2015. To my surprise there was only a balance of 1.97

Actually this kind of discrepancy happened before and I just thought I had got it wrong, This time however, I contacted DTAC .

Apparently , it was explained to me, that I must have inadvertently clicked on one of the unsolicited messages , that have recently ( last 3 or 4 months) been appearing , on a daily basis. Thus causing this 336 baht of 'extra' charges.

I ask to have these messages blocked but he said DTAC hhas no control over this.

In fairness to DTAC and the very well (English) spoken and polite operator , he quickly investigated the matter and said the charges would be credited back withing 24 hrs.

Seems a bit like the old Pay-per-call service, offered only using a 900 number 'scam'

In those instances the phone companies would not reverse the charges

Scam or not - what do you think ?

What sort of scam is it when they give you your money back for something you asked for?

Its a scam but because he complained they refunded. But still a scam as they hope some dont check.

What sort of scam is it when they give you your money back for something you asked for?

It was never knowingly asked for !!

It's hardly their fault you accidentally clicked on a text, though.

hardly seems fair to get ripped off clicking a link, what would happen if they just emptied your account and it still wasn,t enough. pay them?

Some have pointed out that this is not a scam... But, the point of the Op is that this practice is far from the transparent costs we would expect to see. As such these additional costs are unfair, unprofessional and possibly even illegal in our home countries.

Its good that DTAC removed the charge, however, they 'should' also be able to ban texts of this nature.

------

A number of years ago I had a THB6000 baht bill - I had been overseas for a a few weeks and turned my phone on. I received numerous MCOT news Multimedia messages, but as I was overseas I was charged to receive them. AIS were eventually good about removing this charge after I asked them to prove where I had subscribed to such MCOT news (and I hadn't clicked any links). AIS were able to turn off news messages and adverts, but I've since read other ThaiVisa topics with people pointing out that their service provider does not block the junk they get (which again could lead to additional roaming charges).

How can messages appear if your sim is in an aircard?

I have exactly the same set up with Dtac, only I'm on the 650 Baht plan, and almost every month when renewal of the plan I have to call them because it is not correct.

You did not click on anything. I can tell you EXACTLY what happened. It has infuriated me for several years, and YES, I think it is a scam.

Okay, you had 737 baht. The plan is 399 baht PLUS 7% VAT, so 427 baht for the monthly plan. This left 310 baht in your account. If you had 427 or more baht in your account when your plan expired, the plan would automatically renew. But you did not have enough for that. So at the end of the month, with NO NOTIFICATION to you, your plan ended, and your Internet useage reverted to an insanely expensive charge of one baht per minute. So even though your plan has expired, you can continue to use the internet uninterrupted while DTAC steals one baht per minute. AND NO, I do not think "steal" is too strong a word. You get unlimited internet access for a month for 427 baht (which is 0.0092 baht per minute if you leave the internet connected), then in a mere five hours, the remaining 311 baht is drained out of your account by DTAC and your internet service then shuts down. When your plan expires, the cost per minute rises by a factor of 108!. That's right, you are paying 108 times more per minute than you were paying under the expired plan!

I try to put enough money into my account each month for automatic renewal, but sometimes forget and have my residual balance drained within a couple of hours of plan expiration. I don't want to keep a big perpetual balance, which is just an interest free loan to DTAC. I would rather put exactly 427 baht in every month to protect myself, but I cannot do that. It has to go in 10-20 baht increments, which always gives them something to steal each month. I have had hundreds of baht drained away by DTAC in this manner over the years.

What i normally do is call DTAC and DEMAND that they put back every baht. I usually get some resistance and always have to speak to a supervisor. Each time I explain that I signed up for a 30 day plan and not a one baht per minute plan. Blah, blah, blah. Sometimes if the lost money is a lot, they will offer a compromise credit of, say, 200 baht. When I get tired of arguing I just say, "Look, I want every baht put back in my account and and I want it done now or I am going to file a complaint with the NBTC. There is not going to be any deal or any compromise; I WANT MY MONEY BACK, NOW!" Then I get it -- all. But what a pain! Sometimes, when it it is only 20-50 baht I have lost, I just let it go because it is too much trouble to fight with them.

Now some stupid TV flamer out there will tell me that since I know the deal, so it's my own fault. No it is not. There should NOT be a scheme like this in existence. I should be able to instruct DTAC that I want automatic renewal of my plan at the end of the month OR I want the plan to terminate upon expiration. If I want to pay one baht a minute, that should be a separate plan, not one that just starts automatically and just drains my account. I mean who would ever CHOOSE a one baht per minute plan??? I do not make this mistake often, but I have been using DTAC for over six years (72 months), as it is the only signal I can get where I live, and it has happened to me ten or more times during that period. Probably took me a year or more to figure out the exact nature of the scam.

I have no doubt that DTAC is well aware of this, and that it is a quite deliberate scheme to take great profit in exchange for little service. They have had to have had many, many complaints. Yet, they are always a little cagey, when I call to demand my money back and pretend to not understand. Once they understand that I know exactly what they are doing, they lighten up and stop being cagey. They told the OP she must have clicked on something, hoping she would just accept that and go away. Nonsense. Even if she did inadvertently click on something, making it that easy to take your money is another scam. Don't take it lying down, call DTAC (1678 on your mobile), demand to speak with a supervisor and demand that every baht be returned to your account. Tell them you don't care how the hell it happened, you want your money back! Also demand that they refund the cost of the call to customer service (it's NOT free!).

Since Thais normally won't fight at all over things like this I have to wonder: How many millions of baht is DTAC scooping up every year with this practice?

At least with DTAC, you get a representative that can speak English fluently.

On balance, I will say that I am generally quite happy with DTC and it's service. But this practice pisses me off no end. If they would stop the petty cash grabbing scams, I would think them a Class A company. But Class A companies do not act like petty criminals. DTAC does.

My cable/internet provider in the US regularly billed at the wrong amount (oops!) by accident, and always in their favor.

You have to call to straighten it out, takes about 45 minutes with hold time. They figure most people can't be bothered with the call and say the heck with it and just pay. I'm sure they have actuaries predicting the monthly take by playing it this way.

You did not click on anything. I can tell you EXACTLY what happened. It has infuriated me for several years, and YES, I think it is a scam.

Okay, you had 737 baht. The plan is 399 baht PLUS 7% VAT, so 427 baht for the monthly plan. This left 310 baht in your account. If you had 427 or more baht in your account when your plan expired, the plan would automatically renew. But you did not have enough for that. So at the end of the month, with NO NOTIFICATION to you, your plan ended, and your Internet useage reverted to an insanely expensive charge of one baht per minute. So even though your plan has expired, you can continue to use the internet uninterrupted while DTAC steals one baht per minute. AND NO, I do not think "steal" is too strong a word. You get unlimited internet access for a month for 427 baht (which is 0.0092 baht per minute if you leave the internet connected), then in a mere five hours, the remaining 311 baht is drained out of your account by DTAC and your internet service then shuts down. When your plan expires, the cost per minute rises by a factor of 108!. That's right, you are paying 108 times more per minute than you were paying under the expired plan!

I try to put enough money into my account each month for automatic renewal, but sometimes forget and have my residual balance drained within a couple of hours of plan expiration. I don't want to keep a big perpetual balance, which is just an interest free loan to DTAC. I would rather put exactly 427 baht in every month to protect myself, but I cannot do that. It has to go in 10-20 baht increments, which always gives them something to steal each month. I have had hundreds of baht drained away by DTAC in this manner over the years.

What i normally do is call DTAC and DEMAND that they put back every baht. I usually get some resistance and always have to speak to a supervisor. Each time I explain that I signed up for a 30 day plan and not a one baht per minute plan. Blah, blah, blah. Sometimes if the lost money is a lot, they will offer a compromise credit of, say, 200 baht. When I get tired of arguing I just say, "Look, I want every baht put back in my account and and I want it done now or I am going to file a complaint with the NBTC. There is not going to be any deal or any compromise; I WANT MY MONEY BACK, NOW!" Then I get it -- all. But what a pain! Sometimes, when it it is only 20-50 baht I have lost, I just let it go because it is too much trouble to fight with them.

Now some stupid TV flamer out there will tell me that since I know the deal, so it's my own fault. No it is not. There should NOT be a scheme like this in existence. I should be able to instruct DTAC that I want automatic renewal of my plan at the end of the month OR I want the plan to terminate upon expiration. If I want to pay one baht a minute, that should be a separate plan, not one that just starts automatically and just drains my account. I mean who would ever CHOOSE a one baht per minute plan??? I do not make this mistake often, but I have been using DTAC for over six years (72 months), as it is the only signal I can get where I live, and it has happened to me ten or more times during that period. Probably took me a year or more to figure out the exact nature of the scam.

I have no doubt that DTAC is well aware of this, and that it is a quite deliberate scheme to take great profit in exchange for little service. They have had to have had many, many complaints. Yet, they are always a little cagey, when I call to demand my money back and pretend to not understand. Once they understand that I know exactly what they are doing, they lighten up and stop being cagey. They told the OP she must have clicked on something, hoping she would just accept that and go away. Nonsense. Even if she did inadvertently click on something, making it that easy to take your money is another scam. Don't take it lying down, call DTAC (1678 on your mobile), demand to speak with a supervisor and demand that every baht be returned to your account. Tell them you don't care how the hell it happened, you want your money back! Also demand that they refund the cost of the call to customer service (it's NOT free!).

Since Thais normally won't fight at all over things like this I have to wonder: How many millions of baht is DTAC scooping up every year with this practice?

On balance, I will say that I am generally quite happy with DTC and it's service. But this practice pisses me off no end. If they would stop the petty cash grabbing scams, I would think them a Class A company. But Class A companies do not act like petty criminals. DTAC does.

Switch to AIS then, they go to slow, unmetered when your bandwidth runs out.

Switch to AIS then, they go to slow, unmetered when your bandwidth runs out.

There is a difference between reaching your bandwidth limit and your 30 day plan expiring, which is what happened to the OP, and with every provider when signing for a monthly plan you agree to automatic renewal for a certain amount of months. With Dtac that is 5 renewals.

And in my opinion automatic renewals is a positive thing, otherwise many more members would come on here whining that their balance disappeared over night, because they forgot to renew the plan.

If you use data you'll have to pay for it, same as everywhere else in the world.

Edited by Anthony5

"There is a difference between reaching your bandwidth limit and your 30 day plan expiring, which is what happened to the OP,:"

Wrong - you obviously do not understand the Plans !

When you have used up your 5GB of high speed you revert to a lower speed for the rest of the monthly period.

In otherwords you still have Unlimited internet access but at a lower connect speed

No additional charges are made.

If you are getting stiffed by your provider, change to one that doesn't stiff you. Not rocket science is it?

Are you for real ? If you don't have anything whorthwhile saying don't say it !

Now thats not Rocket Science!

Edited by pattayasnowman

"There is a difference between reaching your bandwidth limit and your 30 day plan expiring, which is what happened to the OP,:"

When you have used up your 5GB of high speed you revert to a lower speed for the rest of the monthly period.

In otherwords you still have Unlimited internet access but at a lower connect speed

I understand plans very well, but you obviously don't.

First of all your 399 package cost 427 Baht including VAT, so you would have 310 Baht credit left and not 338 as you wrongly claim.

Secondly, Dtac packages are not 1 month but 30 days, so a package started on 7 March finish 6 April at 00.00h.

If there is not enough credit on your card to renew, which obviously was the case with you, you will be charged at 2 Baht per mb starting from 6 April 00.00h.

This eats your credit at record tempo, which explains why you had only 1.97 Baht left.

If you need more details about how a data plan works, which is obvious you don't know, please let me know.

First of all your 399 package cost 427 Baht including VAT, so you would have 310 Baht credit left and not 338 as you wrongly claim.

Secondly, Dtac packages are not 1 month but 30 days, so a package started on 7 March finish 6 April at 00.00h.

If there is not enough credit on your card to renew, which obviously was the case with you, you will be charged at 2 Baht per mb starting from 6 April 00.00h.

This eats your credit at record tempo, which explains why you had only 1.97 Baht left.

If you need more details about how a data plan works, which is obvious you don't know, please let me know.

You are correct. I've had DTAC data plans for 5 years. Good service. Good provider. But you need to understand the plan or you can have issues such as the OP had.

Apart from your nit picking over VAT and 1 month or 30 days you are still wrong

Whenever I have forgotten to renew or had insufficient funds - it does not revert to the 2 baht a min rate .

You just cannot connect ! At least this has been my experience

And besides this was NOT the case in this instance - This discrepency came to my attention 1 day prior ( Thats on the 29th day !) to the end of the contract

There was no overcharge due to the plan having expired !

Read the original post before making carefully before commenting !

Edited by pattayasnowman

Well thanks Linda, saves me a lot of writing, couldn't put it better myself. In addition they have smaller packages like daily or the 3/day package I'm using right now which are not recurring, so if you forget to switch off your 3g at midnight or subscribe right away, Dtac starts to suck your account dry.

And I'm pretty sure, they make it on purpose. True gives you an message "blahblah subscription ends 08.04.2015 @ 23:59", same message from Dtac goes "blahblah subscription ends 09.04.2015 @ 00:00". So easy to be confused by one day, and there are no warning messages sent.

I changed Sim cards recently to True, as their new packages are a joke (128Kpbs, or even 64Kpbs, instead of 512Kpbs they had before), however I'm back on the 3/day package @29 bath, as True was even worse with a lot of denial of service, a.s.o., which made True 3g, just unusable.

So typical Thai business, take it or leave it.

Apart from your nit picking over VAT and 1 month or 30 days you are still wrong

Whenever I have forgotten to renew or had insufficient funds - it does not revert to the 2 baht a min rate .

You just cannot connect ! At least this has been my experience

And besides this was NOT the case in this instance - This discrepency came to my attention 1 day prior ( Thats on the 29th day !) to the end of the contract

There was no overcharge due to the plan having expired !

Read the original post before making carefully before commenting !

This is my last reply to you, because when a poster start to lie and change his wording it isn't worth it anymore.

1 - I'm Dtac data plan customer for more than 2 years, and if there is not enough credit on the card to renew the package, it doesn't stop but continues at 2 Bht/Mb. Happened to me before a few times.

2. The original post says that you started on March 8th and that you checked your balance on April 7th, however you opened this thread on April 6th, so actually I think you're just a troll and try to defame Dtac.

Moderators should remove your thread for naming and shaming

Edited by Anthony5

DTAC should have been able to give you an ITEMIZED list of all the charges, listing dates and services.

As this is lacking, anything the OP states seems like opinion and conjecture.

If they can't give you an itemized list for the time period, then YES it's a scam.

For the record, AIS has never been able to give me an itemized list of how my missing credit was used.

They'd only say maybe it was a service I subscribed to (...maybe???). You're the effin billing agent! ...maybe???

I just adopted the habit of not trusting them with any balance over 200 baht.

Hasn't happened again.

• 1 month later...

Two more examples of dtac charging scams:

we are travelling soon so my gf did not want to renew her monthly internet on her phone. Fortunately she didnt have much credit or they renew automatically, without prior notice . So at 5pm she bought the 9 baht a day deal. Not realising that the 'day' finishes 7 hours later at midnight.

So the next day when she checked her phone they had taken 49 baht for a different daily plan, and they will keep taking that each day until her credit runs out or she selects a different plan. Many of her friends now only use wifi hotspots for the same reason. fed up with the DTAC rip off.

I see my 199 a month has just been taken without prior which I would have stopped as we will not be in country- but you cant stop it DTAC tell me. Its automatic - 'for my benefit' Hmm

Some thick dumbo executive at dtac thinks he is being a smart ass ripping off all these customers and is confusing short term profit with long term marketing. People talk and they have choices.

And some smart ass tv flamer will say we should have read the fine print fro the plan blah blah blah. NO ONE with a life reads fine print. It is the responsibility of trustworthy companies who want to stay in business to treat their customers fairly., and not play gotcha..

I guess Mobile Phone Company ripoffs are way down the good general's list of things that bring unhappiness to thai people but someone at NBTC needs to step up to the plate and deal with these sharp practices as had been done in Europe. While they can get away with it they will keep doing it.

If anyone feels like complaining, google with give you your NBTC regional office email/phone - but I guess you have to enjoy banging your head against the wall to go that route.

Interestingly to me anyway, the DTAC board of directors seems only to have 4 thais out of 12? hmm. Chairman and Interim CEO: Mr.Sigve Brekke, 56 y o Norwegian from Telenor group.(ex Harvard)