Buying a new pcx

Good option but your click should be fine if it is one of the alter 125cc models. Just increase your front tire one size up making it I believe a 90 width. It will handle much better and the engine is adequate for 100 km cruising. However, the pcx would be a more comfortable bike. The click 125 is actually faster than the pcx 125 so try to get a 150.

New PCX´s are now only 149cc to get a lower taxation. The previous PCX´s was 152cc.

If it's only a slight bit of bore or stroke change and the rest remaining the same, I'd say you will not be able to notice the 3cc difference.

Compared to a Click, the PCX150 has a tad bit more power, is more comfy and feels more stable. All owers I've talked to like the bike.

• Like 1

A couple of things to remember on the PCX. No flat board and no hook, so without a top box you'll have to either strap stuff on or rely on the under seat storage, which is pretty good but still has limitations. Most PCX models are governed to max out at 110kph, the Click will go faster. However, the PCX is more comfortable for longer rides. The new model has great lights, but the shocks are very weak, so I would recommend replacing them especially if you ride two up. I haven't really seen that much power difference between a Click and the PCX since the PCX weighs more. If you have longer legs the PCX seat is not comfortable, the rear ridge is just about where you want to sit, so getting a custom seat might also be in the works. Plus and minus for both models, but in terms of just comfort, the PCX rolls down the highway nicer.

On my pcx and with myself and wife on board we smoked a click with only one person on-board (motor bike taxi rider), we were riding up Tapaya road in Pattaya.

We were both going full wrack up the hill and when we stopped for red light the taxi rider asked if my bike is original, I answered yes and he gave me the thumps up. So we were loaded app 150 kg and the click perhaps 75kg and could go perhaps 5-10km/h faster in that situation, so it's not like I am flying by, he-he.

Yes there was a topic about the brakes overheating on a pcx with 2 people on board going down a steep mountain but first time I heard of this and if the brake fluid is too old it can cause brake failure. Any auto scooter can't obviously engine brake down hill as "normal" bikes can so something to consider and be alert about.

I wonder if any others had brake problems when riding in the mountains up in Chang Rai/Mai?

I wonder if any others had brake problems when riding in the mountains up in Chang Rai/Mai?

Technique will overcome the absence of engine braking on the downhills.

When you apply the brakes - squeeze hard. Get your speed down 5 to 10 kph. Then release brakes, coast down until speed is too great, and brake again.

This gives the brakes time to cool.

Old School truck drivers were taught that each second of brake application requires 6 seconds of cooldown time.

• 2 weeks later...

If u can afford it, the Honda Sh150i is a superior bike but 10k more expensive. Includes Givi-box though. 16", more power, better suspension - For longer rides it's not a competition because it also has a far better riding position.

I just bought one a month ago. Great bike and very comfortable. Changed out the rear shocks........but the riding position takes a lot of weight of the wrists and the low back...you will be happy with it.....

I rode a PCX for a short while, it looks as though it should be very comfortable and was quiet and smooth, but I found it wearing on a long trip, say after 3/4 hour in the saddle. It was my mates bike and he found it useless 2 up (150kg combined), constantly bottoming out, again it looked capable but just wasn't. He sold it after a couple of months, so both of us found it disappointing, our 110cc Wave has never bottomed out even with 2 up and a ton of shopping, so there is a flaw with the PCX.

As for messing around with 1 second of braking and 6 seconds of brake cooling, yes, that is really handy in an emergency, this is not the 1950's, mountain roads and rubber bands don't mix.

It ain't that difficult using gears and 125cc is enough power.........

You mentioned you were buying a new one, so it would be the new body style. They have changed the seat and the riding posistion is more comfortable comparrd to the older ones....like I wrote before I changed the shocks the next day.....

My Yss XL shocks have had it after 18k. The springs are OK and the ride is still good but going over washboard roads on our way from Wang Plong to Wang Phup it was more skittish than normal. It's got almost 30k on the clock. If we were still in Pattaya it would have clocked 30k months ago but most times we go out now in the pick-up as there is alway a load of something to bring home!

I've had a minor problem with the front brake dragging and I took it into Sak Lek Honda....but of course they didn't have the part to fix it. It's a little valve set up that is part of the combo brakes.

There is a small fluid reservoir up under the bodywork, most folk wouldn't see, and when you pull the rear brake lever the central piston in the front caliper activates the front brake via the little valve. The central piston is applying the brake but when it gets hot it's not releasing until I bleed some fluid or pour water on the caliper to cool it.

So I said to the boys they should drain the fluid in the small reservoir to get us rolling again. No combo brake for now!

My Yss XL shocks have had it after 18k. The springs are OK and the ride is still good but going over washboard roads on our way from Wang Plong to Wang Phup it was more skittish than normal. It's got almost 30k on the clock. If we were still in Pattaya it would have clocked 30k months ago but most times we go out now in the pick-up as there is alway a load of something to bring home!

I've had a minor problem with the front brake dragging and I took it into Sak Lek Honda....but of course they didn't have the part to fix it. It's a little valve set up that is part of the combo brakes.

There is a small fluid reservoir up under the bodywork, most folk wouldn't see, and when you pull the rear brake lever the central piston in the front caliper activates the front brake via the little valve. The central piston is applying the brake but when it gets hot it's not releasing until I bleed some fluid or pour water on the caliper to cool it.

So I said to the boys they should drain the fluid in the small reservoir to get us rolling again. No combo brake for now!

How old is the bike? Did you ever replace brake fluid?

Problems with the brakes are always scary imo. Please keep us updated how you fixed it.

Honda Wave (Dream?) 125i semi auto will kick the arse off a PCX all over the mountain, both off road and on.

So? Who cares? Want to go fast? Get a bigger bike. A scooter is for gentle riding and not designed for racing. I know there are sanctioned scooter races but on the whole, racing a scooter on the streets is asking for trouble.

You've ridden a PCX on a mountain trail?

PCX is for fat lazy (elderly) foreigners, sort of like carpet slippers and hot cocoa.

Mountain trail as in MHS loop or Samoeng loop kind of thing? I prefer bigger bikes (500cc +) for those roads. PCX is great for short rides around the city, 7/11 that sort of thing

Personally I agree with those that said they'd prefer a manual bike if you're going to be doing a lot of riding in the mountains. PCX an ok scooter, good for cruising around town etc. but for mountain roads a bike with gears is more fun, plus you'll have the added benefit of engine braking. Then again some people just prefer automatics, and it all comes down to what you'll be doing with it.

Honda Wave (Dream?) 125i semi auto will kick the arse off a PCX all over the mountain, both off road and on.

So? Who cares? Want to go fast? Get a bigger bike. A scooter is for gentle riding and not designed for racing. I know there are sanctioned scooter races but on the whole, racing a scooter on the streets is asking for trouble.

You've ridden a PCX on a mountain trail?

PCX is for fat lazy (elderly) foreigners, sort of like carpet slippers and hot cocoa.

Maybe OP is a fat and lazy elderly foreigner? ;)

• Like 1