Thai billionaire seeks police help

webfact

Billionaire seeks police help

Noppadon Sritaweekart, Pensri Kaden

The Nation

Samrit accuses man of detention, extortion and intimidation

BANGKOK: -- A BILLIONAIRE businessman lodged a complaint yesterday against a former board member of the Office of the Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Educational Personnel for alleged detention, extortion and intimidation.

"Several times he threatened to assault and kill me after I refused to pay him Bt177 million," Samrit Bunditkitsada told the Crime Suppression Division (CSD). "He has even threatened to plant a bomb in my office."

Samrit is the biggest shareholder of Promise Insurance and founder of Billion Innovated Group.

Among football fans, he is known for running the Police United FC and taking over Reading FC.

Pairoj Tesniyom, who heads the Crime Reporter & Photographer Association of Thailand, accompanied Samrit to CSD acting chief Pol Colonel Akkaradet Pimonsri yesterday, when Samrit requested police protection.

His trouble with the Office's former board member started last August, when the latter complained to police that Samrit had abetted wrongdoing by officials.

The complaint was tied to the Office's decision to direct Bt2.1 billion to the Billion Innovated Group's solar power plant project in Nong Ya Plong district in Phetchaburi.

"The accusation that the money is a loan granted to my firm is groundless. The truth is that the Office has decided to invest in the power plant," Samrit said.

He said that after lodging the

complaint with police, the former board member had tried to contact him many times.

"So, I finally agreed to meet him on January 12 at a scout camp. Once there, I found him with many robust men. Of them, four carried guns," Samrit said.

'I feel my life is in danger'

He said the men forced him to strip and he could only cover himself with a towel during negotiations with the former board member, who allegedly made three demands.

"He wants to me to help him overthrow the current board of the Office, and to pay him Bt177 million in exchange for him withdrawing the complaint against me.

"The third demand is that if the current board of the Office is removed and replaced by his gang, he wants me to pay him a 30-per-cent kickback for any amount of money spent by the Office on my firm's projects in the future," Samrit said.

The businessman said that to ensure his safety, he had assured the former board member that he would consider the demands.

After being released, Samrit has not paid the former board member any money.

"Since then, he has intimidated me time and again. I feel my life is in danger and his actions have affected my business. That's why I have decided to come forward now," Samrit said.

Akaradej promised to look into Samrit's complaints and ensure justice to all sides.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Billionaire-seeks-police-help-30257640.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-08

• Like 1

The Office of the Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Educational Personnel is investing B2.1 billion in a solar power plant?

Any wonder the country has poor education outcomes for the size of the education budget.

• Like 2

'The Office of the Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Educational Personnel is investing B2.1 billion in a solar power plant'

What's that? where this is come from ? and who are those people with the mouthful title?

'The Office of the Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Educational Personnel is investing B2.1 billion in a solar power plant'

What's that? where this is come from ? and who are those people with the mouthful title?

From the OP - 'The complaint was tied to the Office's* decision to direct Bt2.1 billion to the Billion Innovated Group's solar power plant project in Nong Ya Plong district in Phetchaburi.' * Office of the Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Educational Personnel

I have no idea who they are, but they sound (to me) like they would come under the education budget

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh... The woes of billionaires! Definitely deserve sympathy from the 60 million Thais living on mere pittance incomes.

You quite aptly sum up one of the major issues with foreigners here.

That you think about class issues and not that he was a victim of crime.

One of the major issues? not even in the top 10 of issues with foreigners here...

• Like 2

"So, I finally agreed to meet him on January 12 at a scout camp. Once there, I found him with many robust men. Of them, four carried guns," Samrit said.

'I feel my life is in danger'

He said the men forced him to strip and he could only cover himself with a towel during negotiations"

First ghosts preventing burglaries, then someone sleeping through the back window of the car being smashed in during a robbery and now this tale.

Crime stories just seem to be getting odder by the day.

Well the victims accounts of what happened are anyway.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Oh... The woes of billionaires! Definitely deserve sympathy from the 60 million Thais living on mere pittance incomes.

You quie aptly sum up one of the major issues with foreigners here.

Why should anyone think he was the victim of crime? He will be a victim of crime if his allegations are proved in court.

• Like 2

"The third demand is that if the current board of the Office is removed and replaced by his gang, he wants me to pay him a 30-per-cent kickback for any amount of money spent by the Office on my firm's projects in the future," Samrit said.

Isn't this standard business practice, and widely accepted? I'm not trying to be a wiseass here, it's just that 30 percent is what I've heard is the standard kickback for any public works project in Thailand.

• Like 1

"So, I finally agreed to meet him on January 12 at a scout camp"

it starts from untoward meeting places and shows the shady characters on both sides...waste of time to follow up with this rubbish

Edited by thurien

You quie aptly sum up one of the major issues with foreigners here.

Why should anyone think he was the victim of crime? He will be a victim of crime if his allegations are proved in court.

No.

Being the victim of a crime doesn't require proof in court.

Being guilty of having committed a crime requires proof in court.

Your reasoning would say that a person who was robbed actually wasn't unless the perpetrators were caught. The same with murder victims / rape victims etc

I understand what you say of course, but without the proven facts the idea that he is a victim is not much more than speculation.

Of course he might be a victim in actual fact, but if we don't see the evidence for it, then by suggesting that he is indeed a victim, you are engaging in that which I think I have seen you chide others for in this forum - speculation.

• Like 1

The hyena goes to the tiger, asking for help because a vulture gang is threatening to eat her. And we're supposed to feel sympathy for whom ?

sick.gif

Edited by Yann55

Police Chief:

"Akaradej promised to look into Samrit's complaints and ensure justice to all sides."

Am I the only one wondering why he didn't just immediately arrest the other guy and bring him in for interrogation about kidnap?

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1

Let me get this straight Thai billionaire asks police for help? Now if I had the kind of money said billionaire has I would have hired a mafia type to erase the person whom I had issue with. As I think is the Thai standard way of doing things. Quid Pro Quo. And deal being done through a third party could deny any involvement in it.intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxNblz But your honor I know nothing I was a I was at CJ's the DJ'S bar getting a BJ.

Am I the only one who cannot find the name of the former board member in the article? Obviously the name has been revealed to the police in order to file the complaint, so I am guessing it is not mentioned because he is a minor? smile.png

The reason there isn't a name there is because libel laws are the only laws that that hold any weight in this country (besides LM although it is similar in spirit). This means that if you accuse someone of something, you sure as hell better have very good proof. Otherwise you are going to jail. It keeps the rich in power because if you accuse them of something that might cause a loss of face, their lawyers will hit you with a defamation lawsuit (which is punishable by time in jail) so fast that you won't know what happened.

Edited by FloridaExport
  • Like 1

Police Chief:

"Akaradej promised to look into Samrit's complaints and ensure justice to all sides."

Am I the only one wondering why he didn't just immediately arrest the other guy and bring him in for interrogation about kidnap?

Stop wondering. One person's claim, even that of a billionaire, is not sufficient for an arrest without supporting evidence.

Police Chief:

Stop wondering. One person's claim, even that of a billionaire, is not sufficient for an arrest without supporting evidence.

I bet that if the mentioned billionaire had filed a police report that you or I had stolen his vallet, we would both be in jail right now.smile.png

Am I the only one who cannot find the name of the former board member in the article? Obviously the name has been revealed to the police in order to file the complaint, so I am guessing it is not mentioned because he is a minor? smile.png

The reason there isn't a name there is because libel laws are the only laws that that hold any weight in this country (besides LM although it is similar in spirit). This means that if you accuse someone of something, you sure as hell better have very good proof. Otherwise you are going to jail. It keeps the rich in power because if you accuse them of something that might cause a loss of face, their lawyers will hit you with a defamation lawsuit (which is punishable by time in jail) so fast that you won't know what happened.

I know, but the newspapers never fail to mention the name and sometimes even the address of poor and/or non-influential people who are accused of something.

Police Chief:

I bet that if the mentioned billionaire had filed a police report that you or I had stolen his vallet, we would both be in jail right now.smile.png

Not saying you are wrong, but SHOULD be hard to get a conviction without fingerprints, other witnesses or a wad you can't explain.

BTW had a chat with a BIB once who told me to memorise the last 3 digits any time I hand over a B1000 note. If the receiver claims it was a B500, hard to prove otherwise, but if the BIB can find a note with those numbers (1/1000 chance) on their person or in the till, they will act (recover/prosecute/whatever).

Police Chief:

Not saying you are wrong, but SHOULD be hard to get a conviction without fingerprints, other witnesses or a wad you can't explain.

BTW had a chat with a BIB once who told me to memorise the last 3 digits any time I hand over a B1000 note. If the receiver claims it was a B500, hard to prove otherwise, but if the BIB can find a note with those numbers (1/1000 chance) on their person or in the till, they will act (recover/prosecute/whatever).

I agree, you will likely not be convicted without any evidence, but a potential trial could be years from now, and until then they will have plenty of time to harass you, jail you, confiscate your passport etc.

Actually, even if the accusation is true, you can be sued and prosecuted for defamation.
  • Like 1

Police Chief:

So if someone makes a very serious claim like a violent kidnap you think the police shouldn't take immediate action? (whether or not in the light of the resulting interviews they further prosecute the case or not) Edited by cheeryble