D-max, How To Switch To 4wd?

Element

I just bought a second-hand D-Max, but don't have a manual to figure this out..

If I push the button for 4H, the indication light for 4wd starts flashing, but the light is out again when I release the button. If I push the button longer, after 2 sec. it starts to flash faster, but again goes out when the button is released. Is the 4wd turned on then, or am I doing something wrong? I tried while in gear, in neutral, with clutch, standing still, but no difference.

Hi

just touch it and then realese it, if you go to 4 low its best to stop, you can go to 4H up to about 80KM/H

The green light should be on when 4WD is on

Yes, just push it then release, if it does't lock in I'm guessing the eletronics are a little screwy, did you try to select 4H on the test drive? I'm guessing you didn't, Where did you buy it from? You could always go to an Izusu dealer and have it checked out.

Sol

This is one of the things I don't like about this type of gearbox, much prefer the good old fashioned lever.

Edited by solent01

I drove one the other day and it took forever to get into 4wd and out again, the light just keeps on flashing.

If you want to get into low 4 you need to stop, be in neutral then push the low 4 button before carrying on.

If you press the button and the light is flashing then just goes out, I think you have a problem . It seems like it is trying, (flashing) then when it can't engage for what ever reason just goes out.

I would have it checked out.

I too don't like this kind of set up. I figured there would be problems with this system just like the OP is experiencing. Much better to have a lever.

I brought it back to the garage I bought it (Maenam, Koh Samui), they went to the Isuzu dealer with it, and I don't have a clue what they have done but it's been fixed for 294.- baht! (25 baht spare part, 250 baht labour fee + VAT). Thanx for your help guys!

I brought it back to the garage I bought it (Maenam, Koh Samui), they went to the Isuzu dealer with it, and I don't have a clue what they have done but it's been fixed for 294.- baht! (25 baht spare part, 250 baht labour fee + VAT). Thanx for your help guys!

Glad you got it sorted Element :D:o

But who paid the bill, you or the garage you brought it from? I'm guessing you had to, but it was only 300 bht :D

Sol

Hi Sol, it was the plan that the garage would pay for it. But my car was delivered to my house again by an employee who went through all the trouble for me, hardly speaks English, and I got another Isuzu from their showroom to use in the meantime. That car was quite dirty again when she picked it up, less diesel in it, so I didn't bother to call the owner of the garage (who is really nice and helpful) for those 300 baht :o