Buying a big bike as a farang

You can go to the police station with your gf and have have her declare that you live at her house. They will take your fingerprints etc and give you a letter. It's free except for time, at least when I did it. I'm sure your friend that has a condo could do the same for you at the police station.

When your name is on the green book, it matters not what the address is, it is your bike and you have complete control over it.

Yes you can use the g/f address and your name to get the immigration office cert. You will be the only owner.

Oh really? In which case I could use my friends named address instead and also be the full owner?
Yes, I did it recently in Udonthani. No problem other than having to pay ฿500 for the free immigration cert.

I see a lot of confusing info on this thread. Here is what to do......

You need a house book of the address you will be using.

You need the ID card of the house holder (as in the house book).

Your passport. Photocopies (all signed) of all of the above.

Go to immigration, pay ฿500 or whatever for your free cert.

All done. The cert lasts for 30 days. Take the cert and your passport to vehicle registration and they will transfer it to the name and address on the cert.

A rental agreement thingy is a waste of time and effort, you will still have to provide a house book and ID of the house holder.

Edited by billphillips

Yes you can use the g/f address and your name to get the immigration office cert. You will be the only owner.

Oh really? In which case I could use my friends named address instead and also be the full owner?
Yes, I did it recently in Udonthani. No problem other than having to pay ฿500 for the free immigration cert.

I see a lot of confusing info on this thread. Here is what to do......

You need a house book of the address you will be using.

You need the ID card of the house holder (as in the house book).

Your passport. Photocopies (all signed) of all of the above.

Go to immigration, pay ฿500 or whatever for your free cert.

All done. The cert lasts for 30 days. Take the cert and your passport to vehicle registration and they will transfer it to the name and address on the cert.

A rental agreement thingy is a waste of time and effort, you will still have to provide a house book and ID of the house holder.

Good information apart from the last part. I never had to provide a house book nor ID of the house holder. Rental contract was all. This was in Phuket, other places other rules.

• Like 1

Or for the time being could I simply do the middle contract , where it's the paper that prepares to transfer to someone's name (don't know name of paper). Apparently this is safe also , as can simply transfer to my name when ready. Anyone know if this is really a safe option also?

Sure, why not, what the heck, don't worry, go for it.

UK license is not worth anything here. IDP I am not sure, maybe. They do check if something is a bike license is not only car in some cases.

You can do that but it's easier and faster to just show them the rental contract (assuming you are renting something).

I see. And currently no I'm living at GFS house. That's why !

Either get added to the house book or make a rental contract with her (consider tax liability though).

It's a second hand bike. And at the end of the contract it still in her name unless she agrees to put it in mine. And I don't even wanna take that risk with this one lol.

So you are buying the bike from GF who is buying it on contract?

cheesy.gif

How can this possibly not end well?

UK license is not worth anything here. IDP I am not sure, maybe. They do check if something is a bike license is not only car in some cases.

You can do that but it's easier and faster to just show them the rental contract (assuming you are renting something).

I see. And currently no I'm living at GFS house. That's why !

Either get added to the house book or make a rental contract with her (consider tax liability though).

It's a second hand bike. And at the end of the contract it still in her name unless she agrees to put it in mine. And I don't even wanna take that risk with this one lol.

So you are buying the bike from GF who is buying it on contract?

cheesy.gif

How can this possibly not end well?

Nah, I'm using residency certificate as everyone suggested above. Useful info I didn't know!

• Like 1

Just one other thing

When I get the reg certificate etc (from gf signing with me at immigration)

I don't then need her to sign anything at the bike registration place, do I? Pretty sure I wouldn't but just checking.

Once I have the residency certificate, myself and the previous owner do the signing etc from there on right?

Just one other thing

When I get the reg certificate etc (from gf signing with me at immigration)

I don't then need her to sign anything at the bike registration place, do I? Pretty sure I wouldn't but just checking.

Once I have the residency certificate, myself and the previous owner do the signing etc from there on right?

Correct. Once you have this certificate of residence, you can sign everything else by your own and it will be 100% owned by you and only you.

Make sure the bike doesn't have installments left if the original owner bought it on finance - that's a popular trick here.

You obviously don't have a work permit as you are on a tourist visa.

So all you need to do is get a Certificate of Residency from your Embassy.

Contact them.

It will be more expensive then trying to get one from immigration, but less BS. Email them.

The CoR has an expiration of about 1 month though, so get it just before you buy.

I'm assuming this can be done in cheang wattana bkk immigration? Or has anyone had this residence certificate done there. As I know they make it up as they go at different places..

Chaeng Wattana only give them for people with Non-Imm visas and an Extension of Temp Stay from that office. So forget them

Better for you to forget immigration and just get one from your embassy. More $ but a lot less hassle and bullturd.

You do have a license here that allows for riding a motorcycle? you have been here many months according to the visa your on which means your not eligble to use a international driving/riding permit ?

You do have a license here that allows for riding a motorcycle? you have been here many months according to the visa your on which means your not eligble to use a international driving/riding permit ?

Yes I have. But was just curious. I have both in fact.

"Been here many months according to the visa your on" ???

Yes I have. But was just curious. I have both in fact.

"Been here many months according to the visa your on" ???

First, go to a local clinic or hospital, get a health check done, with the purpose of obtaining a driving license.

You take both licenses with you, to where ever you locally can obtain a motorcycle license in Thailand.

Copies of passport, visa page, arrival card.

You need to pass 2 or 3 silly tests, like colorblind test, depth vision, and possibly a braking test.

All done in the office and done in few minutes. Not even sitting on an actual motorbike.

Pay the fee, and you will have a crisp new Thai driving license for motorcycles, rinse repeat to get a license for a car, assuming you have that already in your UK driving license.

Cant remember the actual fee, but it was maybe 500 baht ish, less than 1000 baht for sure.

Be there early, like 08:30, bring your gf as translator.

Edited by peterdk

My bikes are in my name.

I got a residence certificate on a visa exempt.

If you live here and have a rental contract with your name and address on it, take it to immigration and ask for a residence certificate to buy a motorbike. I also got my Thai driving licences this way. Its simple and I don't see why people on here make it sound so difficult.

• Like 1

Really ? What is a 7 month visa ?

If you want some correct advise ..

1. Which province / town are you ?

2. Where are you living ? A hotel ? Apartment ? - do you have a lease agreement ?

This thread is so muddled now - just go to your local immigration and ask them how you can apply for a certificate of residence.

Some immigration offices don't issue them - but some will do at the request of the land transport office.

IMHO - You don't need to rely upon a Thai person, especially if you don't 100% trust them. Do this for/by yourself, forget about the address of your girlfriend and ask your current landlord or whatever for a lease agreement, a signed copy of his tabian baan and ID card.

If your landlord can't help, move apartment.

If you have only a tourist visa (7 month tourist visa???) you can - according to my experience - never get a certificate of residence. A tourist visa is meant to visit the Kingdom a while and depart. And with a tourist visa you can not buy a vehicle and register it for yourself. If you enter with a 3 month Non-immigration O visa you can go on and stay longer. You can as a tourist only rent a big bike. But driving big bikes on Thai roads is an attempt for suicide....I have some experience and would never ride a big bike anymore unless I can buy and take on a NASA space dress...

Edited by Alfred Gruetzner

I'd like to add.. once you have the residence certificate along with your passport in hand you can visit the a dealership for the type bike (say Honda). Met up with the owner there and they [dealership] will handle the transfer of the bike into your name. You don't need your girlfriends assistance at this point.

I have transferred 7 bikes into my name and 2 cars using my 30 day visa exempt status.

Kurt

K,

Never heard this term before.

From what are you exempt?

I'd like to add.. once you have the residence certificate along with your passport in hand you can visit the a dealership for the type bike (say Honda). Met up with the owner there and they [dealership] will handle the transfer of the bike into your name. You don't need your girlfriends assistance at this point.

I have transferred 7 bikes into my name and 2 cars using my 30 day visa exempt status.

Kurt

K,

Never heard this term before.

From what are you exempt?

Visa exempt - passport holders from 41 countries are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 30 days on each visit.

Just to clarify some people mistakenly call it a tourist visa but it is not, it is an exemption allowing free travel in the Kingdom up to 30 days (no extendable for another 30 days).

Kurt

Edited by kbelyeu

Hmmmm.

Interesting.

I always thought that Thailand offered 'visa on arrival' to those tourist visitors.

I'll have to check out my passport stampage.thumbsup.gif

Nope.. that is completely different. The VOA is for 28 additional countries that aren't explicitly covered under the visa exempt program.

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/48

Kurt

• Like 1

I have never read such a messed up topic on TV as this .. full of untruths and bad info ..

The guy asked how to transfer a title, he didnt ask for riding advice and the procedure for applying for a driving licence !

Sorry, mate - You may be out of luck getting a certificate of residence at Cheang Wattana, but it is possible at other offices - its unfortunate that you are based in BKK.

• Like 1

your friend will have to take copy of house book and ID then register you as living in his house. Immigration Law. Then give copies of your documents, Passport, Visa , entry stamp. picture . DO NOT PUT IN GF's Name. you have been warned. Make sure you purchase bike as soon as you get your address certificate because only good for length of your visa.

• Like 1

your friend will have to take copy of house book and ID then register you as living in his house. Immigration Law. Then give copies of your documents, Passport, Visa , entry stamp. picture . DO NOT PUT IN GF's Name. you have been warned. Make sure you purchase bike as soon as you get your address certificate because only good for length of your visa.

What if I just register myself living at her apartment - renting as such from her. Is this possible? Even if she is renting herself. Then once I have the certificate residence I can get the bike in my name