Power usage in Thailand broke record on April 7

webfact

Power usage broke record on April 7

4-8-2015-9-35-14-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Electricity consumption peaked to a new record high of 27,056.8 megawatts on April 7 breaking the previous record of 26,942.1 megawatts on last April 23.

The record-breaking power consumption in one single day coincided with high temperature averaging 36.4 Celsius.

Mr Somchai Kamnoonsoot, governor of Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, asked for cooperation from members of the public to cut back power consumption by cleaning their airconditioners and setting the temperature of their airconditioning system at 25 Celsius, to switch off electricity bulbs which are not used and to replace their old bulbs with power-saving ones.

The increase of each degree Celsius of the air-conditioners’ temperature means 10 percent of power being saved.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/power-usage-broke-record-on-april-7

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-09

Thailand wants and is actively seeking its people to have technology. What they seem to forget is that technology requires power and demand increases exponentially. Thailand may not be able to meet these needs as more people are using electric to power their toys and gadgets.

And if they just wear shortsleeves, slippers and shorts the aircons can be put at 28 easy.

My friends even wear vests and bodywarmers at the office, that's how cold it is.

Restaurants in the business-area are so cold that without a jacket you even can't be in them.

But of course the Thai need their long sleeves, they don't want to look like a ricefieldworker with brown skin.

• Like 1

"The increase of each degree Celsius of the air-conditioners temperature means 10 percent of power being saved."

Does it?

even much more depending on the ambient temperature. energy consumption goes up exponentially with every degree lower thermostat setting.

• Like 1

Ah, now I understand why my gf's town in Amnat Charoen was without power for more than a day... at least they can't be held to blame. Water is also on and off. I guess the villagers are expected to sacrifice for the city dwellers, even though they pay bills like everyone else. [And yeah, I get it from an economic standpoint].

Thailand wants and is actively seeking its people to have technology. What they seem to forget is that technology requires power and demand increases exponentially. Thailand may not be able to meet these needs as more people are using electric to power their toys and gadgets.

"demand increases exponentially"

In what way is the addition of "x' Units of demand an exponential growth? "Exponential" seems to be the word of the day, and is in several posts.

If a person adds ? gadgets that require X energy ... that seems to be a direct ... and linear relationship.

If demand is exponetial, thatn very few additional variables would be required to exceed supply of a finite resource.

"The increase of each degree Celsius of the air-conditioners temperature means 10 percent of power being saved."

Does it?

even much more depending on the ambient temperature. energy consumption goes up exponentially with every degree lower thermostat setting.

"energy consumption goes up exponentially"

"Exponential" seems to be the word of the day, and is in several posts.

If a person adds ? gadgets that require X energy ... that seems to be a direct ... and linear relationship.

Please explain, and without the variable of ambient temperature, since capacity sag in hot lines is not the issue.

My question is your hypothosis (or theory) that says that demand creates an exponential result.

Agreed, keep em out in the fields i say.

Dear Thai Visa Thai Bashing Department,

Congratulations, you are doing a great job. Only here can a simple news blurb that states that record demand for power occurred the other day, could elicit responses like the following. It is just sad that you have to live in a place where it gets hot, and people turn on the AC. Boo Hoo, oh my Chicken Little, the Sky is Falling, the Sky is falling!

And who is to blame? of course ... Thai people!

HEADLINE / NEWS FLASH - YOU LIVE ON THE EQUATOR! It gets HOT!

So, where else in the world does the news that power consummation peaked and hit a new level get people to back the bus up over anyone not lily white and perfect in every way? No where ... just here ion the Thai Visa Bash and Crash site.

Here is what we see so far ... what does this have to do with anything?

Geez I thought it would have gone down with the removal of so many street vendors. Everyone seems to have a t.v attached so they can watch soaps whilst trading. (Yes Sir, it is because Thai people watch tine TV's while they are working. Too bad, unlike you, they are not sitting in a pub chilled to 21*, sipping a beer, watching a wide screen TV, and charging thier phone.)

And if they just wear shortsleeves, slippers and shorts the aircons can be put at 28 easy.

My friends even wear vests and bodywarmers at the office, that's how cold it is.

Restaurants in the business-area are so cold that without a jacket you even can't be in them.

But of course the Thai need their long sleeves, they don't want to look like a ricefieldworker with brown skin.

(I have two words for you .. and they are not "Merry Christmas")

Who was the guy who said that Thailand is not a 3rd world country? (Unlike the USA, where brownouts, blackouts, demand response crisis, etc ... are the NORM)

Are they so desperate for good news they consider this something to cheer about?

(Get a life, really)

I guess the "1 degree is 10%" is just an over simplification that people can remember easily, like saying how many Calories in a product. It gives you a ball park figure without the mass of variables that are actually at play.

Pushing something down 1 degree would be much easier than simply doubling the power used to get it down 2 degrees. There's a thermal gradient working against you. It's a bit like having a car that can do 100mph, but it can't do 200mph unless you quadruple the power (a made up ratio just for an example). If you aim for 16C in 40C weather, the aircon would probably run non stop trying to reach an unattainable figure.

• Like 1

Does it?

Please explain, and without the variable of ambient temperature, since capacity sag in hot lines is not the issue.

My question is your hypothosis (or theory) that says that demand creates an exponential result.

being an elderly physicist my remaining statistical life time is too short to waste even a tiny part on discussing the brushstrokes and the paint mix of an old master's painting with blind people. that applies to your dismissal of ambient temperature in connection of energy usage tongue.png

but to be fair... English is my third language and i used the expression "exponentially" because a British teacher once advised me (here in Thaivisa) that the expression "progressively" (which i used and would use in other languages) is wrong.

by the way, my comment is neither based on a theory nor on a "hypothosis" but on facts.

• Like 1

Does it?

No it is complete nonsense.

Say you set 18 degree.

You change the setting to 19 degree

power saved 0 % as your aircondition can do only 20 degree and runs on setting 18 and 19 the same 100% full.

Say it has outside 32 degree. You set it first to 31 degree. It runs sometimes. You set it than to 32 degree it doesn't run at all: Saving 100 %

Ah, now I understand why my gf's town in Amnat Charoen was without power for more than a day... at least they can't be held to blame. Water is also on and off. I guess the villagers are expected to sacrifice for the city dwellers, even though they pay bills like everyone else. [And yeah, I get it from an economic standpoint].

not being in Thailand during the floods?

Of course, you can't have the hi-so in bangkok 1 min without aircon...they would die....

Does it?

being an elderly physicist my remaining statistical life time is too short to waste even a tiny part on discussing the brushstrokes and the paint mix of an old master's painting with blind people. that applies to your dismissal of ambient temperature in connection of energy usage tongue.png

but to be fair... English is my third language and i used the expression "exponentially" because a British teacher once advised me (here in Thaivisa) that the expression "progressively" (which i used and would use in other languages) is wrong.

by the way, my comment is neither based on a theory nor on a "hypothosis" but on facts.

Your condescending attitude is duly noted and I appreciate you finding your way down from the ivory tower for a moment to mingle with the unwashed masses.

(1) You confirm that, in fact, there is no exponential relationship here ... so the problem seems to be yours ... not mine .. or ... your poor British teacher. If there is a person in this world who must respect the meaning of words, and especially mathematical terms, on e would think it would be an "elderly physicist" would be close to the top of the "respect the meaning' list. I really doubt that an English Teacher is qualified to understand exponential verses progressive, but might understand exponential verses arithmetic ... which this relationship is.

(2) Your English seems above average, and as a scientist I think you would be able to understand that I did not "dismiss" ambient temperature ... a critical factor in the physical properties of the power lines, and therefore the power grid. What i said was to explain your "exponential" in the "...energy consumption goes up exponentially with every degree lower thermostat setting." As in, do not mix apples and oranges and the coincidence that high temperatures bring big demand for air conditioning.

So professor, what we have here is you using a very broad brush, poor terms, and a thin grasp of civilized conversation.

You may be an "elderly physicist" ... or not ... but you do not have the patent on science degrees, and certainly not a corner on the market about the power grid ... Signed "Environmental Science Degree and several years working hand in glove with the world's largest energy management companies to avoid brownouts / blackouts ... wait for the punchline ... during high temperature / high consumption cycles."

Have a lovely Holiday, and do please set your thermostat to 25, so I do not feel guilty about mine at 21. Thanks !!!

Edited by Guest

Who was the guy who said that Thailand is not a 3rd world country?

Whoever he was, he was correct. You already know that Thailand is a developing country, but fail to understand that in comparison to 3rd world countries like Somalia, Ethiopia, Sudan, N.Korea etc, Thailand is comparable in very few areas.

It's all documented here.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/third_world.htm#regimes

solar cells should work well in Thailand. They bring most power when most power (aircons) are needed.

Different than in Germany when they bring no power when most is used (when it is dark in winter).

• Like 1