Jail visit Phuket

Laserlala

i wish to visit my Thai friend in Phuket jail. I am British. I don't know how to go about it? What Are visiting times are? Will I be allowed to see him? Do I just turn up? I'm very worried about my friend and I don't know what to do. I don't speak Thai, only English. Please help! Thank you.

Thank you. But I am not a relative and I am foreigner visiting a Thai person, is it still ok? I have never visited anybody in prison before, not even in the uk. I am very worried about my friend. I want to help him. He is good person and university student here in Phuket. He called me on Wednesday to say he was going to phuket town for documents and he would be released but something must have happened and I can only assume jail. I don't speak Thai so I cannot get any information on him so he could still be held in the cells at phuket town police station for all I know. Nobody will help me and I fear the worst. He is only 22 years old and has bright future ahead of him. He would be finishing university this year. I need some big help. I wish I could speak Thai.

No my friend is Thai from Thailand! I am from the uk.

Hmm, that will make it much more difficult to obtain information.

I have visited a Thai in prison a few times, and the process is relatively simple, but speaking Thai or having a Thai person with you would help tremendously. And since you don't even know for sure whether he is in prison will make this much more difficult.

Also, I have no idea about the visiting hours the upcoming days because of Songkran. I presume closed on the 13th and open on other days so visiting relatives can come, but that is a guess based on experience in other parts of Thailand.

Edited by stevenl

Thank you. So you think maybe I should find a Thai person willing to come with me? 1st of all I need to find out where he is. I know he was taken to Phuket town police station where the court is on Wednesday morning so hopefully I could have someone call them to ask if he is there or has been transferred to a prison. I'm going out of my mind thinking about it all. I really want to help him and make sure he is ok. I have money to help too if needed.

If it is the Phuket Town jail he is in, it is expected to pay the jailer some tea money to achieve pretty much anything. Once you do this, anything becomes possible.

But how do you give them money if you don't know where he is and I don't speak Thai language.

You're running in circles. Why not have a Thai call the number provided in the earlier link, and find out if your friend is there. If he is there, you know what to do. If not, you have eliminated one possibility of where he might be.

But how do you give them money if you don't know where he is and I don't speak Thai language.

If you learn which jail he is in, you find out who the jailer is, you hand him money. Then you get as much visitation time you want regardless of posted hours, you can bring him anything you want, even have "private" time with him.

If he is in the prison, sorry I don't know anything about that. Only heard that it is a special kind of hell from people who have been there.

Edited by NomadJoe

Thank you. So you think maybe I should find a Thai person willing to come with me? 1st of all I need to find out where he is. I know he was taken to Phuket town police station where the court is on Wednesday morning so hopefully I could have someone call them to ask if he is there or has been transferred to a prison. I'm going out of my mind thinking about it all. I really want to help him and make sure he is ok. I have money to help too if needed.

With the last sentence I am pretty sure he/they have found you by now.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

With the last sentence I am pretty sure he/they have found you by now.

What??

If you learn which jail he is in, you find out who the jailer is, you hand him money. Then you get as much visitation time you want regardless of posted hours, you can bring him anything you want, even have "private" time with him.

If he is in the prison, sorry I don't know anything about that. Only heard that it is a special kind of hell from people who have been there.

What do you mean with "the jailer", is that a prison guard who has responsibility for a certain detainee?

What do you mean with "the jailer", is that a prison guard who has responsibility for a certain detainee?

Walk into the station, say "Jail?" to anyone in uniform. They will point you to a desk in the back left corner. The policeman who sits there or who will show up shortly is the jailer, or guard.

It is very very easy. You go to Phuket prison opposite the Land Office. As you go in the gate you turn left. And walk straight down the incline into the reception area which is dead ahead.

On the right inside the door you hand a copy of your passport to the Thai man in the cubicle. He will give you a visit application form on which you write in the name of who you want to visit. If you speak the name for this man he will write it in for you in Thai. You could also have your friends name already written down. The form will ask what relationship you have with the person you want to visit. The form is in English and takes about 1 minute to fill out.

You then take this completed form to hatch 1 and hand it in. The only difficulty is you must listen out to the name of the prisoner being called out. The first time it is called out you go to hatch 2 and collect the visitors pass. The 2nd time to go into the prison visit room. It will be obvious which room it is by the people moving in and out all the time.

There are sessions of 10 to 15 minutes. The prisoner sits behind perspex and you talk on the phone. He may be waiting for you but most likely you will have to wait for him.

Visiting hours seem not to be as strict as they were. But I would go at 9am to be sure. Also it used to be man Monday & Wednesday and Women Tuesday and Thursday but the last two times I visited the visits were mixed. Again go either Monday and Wednesday to be sure.

There is absolutely no drama so need to worry everybody is very helpful.

• Like 2

It is very very easy. You go to Phuket prison opposite the Land Office. As you go in the gate you turn left. And walk straight down the incline into the reception area which is dead ahead.

On the right inside the door you hand a copy of your passport to the Thai man in the cubicle. He will give you a visit application form on which you write in the name of who you want to visit. If you speak the name for this man he will write it in for you in Thai. You could also have your friends name already written down. The form will ask what relationship you have with the person you want to visit. The form is in English and takes about 1 minute to fill out.

You then take this completed form to hatch 1 and hand it in. The only difficulty is you must listen out to the name of the prisoner being called out. The first time it is called out you go to hatch 2 and collect the visitors pass. The 2nd time to go into the prison visit room. It will be obvious which room it is by the people moving in and out all the time.

There are sessions of 10 to 15 minutes. The prisoner sits behind perspex and you talk on the phone. He may be waiting for you but most likely you will have to wait for him.

Visiting hours seem not to be as strict as they were. But I would go at 9am to be sure. Also it used to be man Monday & Wednesday and Women Tuesday and Thursday but the last two times I visited the visits were mixed. Again go either Monday and Wednesday to be sure.

Thank you so much for this information. I hope I will be safe. I never visit any jail before, not even at my home. I am very scared but I want to see my friend and see if I can help him in any way.

Thank you so much for this information. I hope I will be safe. I never visit any jail before, not even at my home. I am very scared but I want to see my friend and see if I can help him in any way.

I guarantee you will be safe. 90% of the people there are women and it is all very very civilised. You will breeze in and out and wonder what all the worry was about.

Walk into the station, say "Jail?" to anyone in uniform. They will point you to a desk in the back left corner. The policeman who sits there or who will show up shortly is the jailer, or guard.

The OP stated his friend is in prison, not in a police station holding cell. Nevertheless good info, which I will hopefully never have to use.

I guarantee you will be safe. 90% of the people there are women and it is all very very civilised. You will breeze in and out and wonder what all the worry was about.

Hi nip. Will they let me visit him because I am farang and he is Thai? Have you seen this happen before?

The OP stated his friend is in prison, not in a police station holding cell. Nevertheless good info, which I will hopefully never have to use.
The OP also stated she doesn't know where her friend is.
  • Like 1