Uk passport expiry and renewal of retirement extension

Hi,

My Uk passport expires 0n 28th October 2016 and my renewal of retirement extension is due on 19th January 2016.

Will immigration give me a year’s extension when my passport only has 10 months till renewal?

If not can I renew my UK passport in say September/October 2015. I am aware that only 9 months will be added to my 10 years when I renew, but can I renew longer that 9 months before passport expires.

Thanks for any input

Many thanks litebeer and ubonjoe. I really appreciate your input. I think I will renew my passport early ie sept/oct 2015

That should be fine, but don't leave it too late - keep up to date with processing times on the Thai Visa thread.

Renewing, say, after your next 90 day report will only cost you a few months and you will have the peace of mind of getting the job done.

Many thanks litebeer and ubonjoe. I really appreciate your input. I think I will renew my passport early ie sept/oct 2015

That should be fine, but don't leave it too late - keep up to date with processing times on the Thai Visa thread.

Renewing, say, after your next 90 day report will only cost you a few months and you will have the peace of mind of getting the job done.

He should be OK renewing in Sept/Oct, I would have thought. That is well past the peak summer holiday period in the UK which could lead to excessive delays as in 2014.

Edited by OJAS

----------------------------

remember that some neighboring countries want a 6 month validity left on your passport to enter their country with a visa.

I just came back from Malaysia and the ticket agent for Malaysia air reminded me that my passport expired in October also.

That means to travel to Malaysia I need to have 6 months validity on my U.S. passport......and April is the 4th month of the year.

So to have a 6 month validity it needs to be renewed in April if I want to travel in October.

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font

UP to nine months will be added, in the event you are renewing through running out of pages, not on expiry. You could extend your passport by twelve months, but you cannot do that more than three months before expiry. But since you will have more than six months remaining when extending your visa, and can utilise the visa in the old passport, alongside the new one, I should imagine the same would apply to an extension.

According to the website it only takes around 3 weeks to renew by post, so should be no problem in the 90 days.

And Note in emergencies the passport can be extended for one year.

Or in case of lost passports etc

But it costs...

You may extend the passport, irrespective of there being an emergency, or not.

There is no longer any "unused time" transferred from your old passport to your new passport .

From https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

"Time left on an existing passport is added to your new one, up to a maximum of 9 months."

Not always. I renewed last year with 7 years remaining and just got the 10 years. Having waited about 10 weeks I certainly wasn't going to send it back for amendment.

Chances are I will expire before it does.