Sleeper train Bangkok-Penang (Butterworth)

thagerberg

Hi.

Does anyone know approximate pri e for an aircondition sleeper train between bkk-penang?

How long the journey takes and how east it is to get from butterworth to georgetown when u arrive. I know flying is a better option, but im on a budget at the moment ?

Get the Ferry across from Butterworth to Penang ,Ferry Terminal is linked to the Railway station

It should be a lot quicker on the Malaysian side now a days , newly commissioned Track , 2 hours from PB to Butterworth roughly

All the info you need is here: http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#.VSmQ2dzF8ow.

It's a good trip, these days I would certainly fly, but then again when I used to do it the fly option wasn't available.

Btw, I never used the A/C carriages, still wouldn't as you are divorced from all the delicious food you can buy thrust through the windows. Also A/C is often close to freezing.

Fan cooled is the way to go.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It was 1290 when I did it a few years back. Long journey plus ferry was hourly if I remember, so add time for that.

Ferry depends on what day and what time. If you are using it during the week as a pedestrian up until about 6 pm , max wait will.be be about 20 minutes.Sundays could be 40 minutes

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Incidentally the ferry requires Malaysian currency, but there is no ATM or currency exchange in the station. Unless things have changed.

its a dollar 20, they have a change window on the LHS as you walk towards the ferry, just before the turnstyles

Fly---unless its changed a lot in 10 years...its a dorm train, not separate sleeping, ...so if you do go , just hope not to may Brits on board as Shouting speaking loudly after just 1 beer --When everyone else is sleeping----seems to be the norm for them.

Incidentally the ferry requires Malaysian currency, but there is no ATM or currency exchange in the station. Unless things have changed.

The guy who sells breakfast on the train changes money.

Only ac cars from Had Yai to Butterworth

I hate it when ppl say just google it, 'cos google would never give excellent tips like this.

I always enjoyed the journey. Get a low bunk as bigger. Nice buffet carriage. Its slow after immigration to Butterworth. Take a few Ringetts as no Bureau de Change at Butterworth and need it for the ferry. Can get the 12 bus to Chulia if staying there. Cost form BKK approx. 1,300

Fly---unless its changed a lot in 10 years...its a dorm train, not separate sleeping, ...so if you do go , just hope not to may Brits on board as Shouting speaking loudly after just 1 beer --When everyone else is sleeping----seems to be the norm for them.

Pointing out a group is often an indicator of prejudice and narrow mindedness. But then, it's a free world to announce one's makeup.

Train 35 starts in Bangkok at 14:45.

You will be in Butterworth at 13:00 something the next day.

Ticket should be around 1.300 Baht.

The whole train is airconditioned, therefore a lot cleaner than other train coaches with fans and open windows.

In Hat Yai the train is rearranged, only three carriages going to the border post in Padang Besar.

Beer is banned in all the trains and in the stations. But you are free to drink your lot behind the bed curtains.

A money changer boards in Hat Yai. His rates are okay. Just change 1000 Baht with him to keep you going as you will find better rates with Indian money changers in Penang.

The train stops in Padang Besar 1 hour for passport control. There is time enough to eat something in the little Restaurant at the first floor. Malaysian carriages are attached. The ride to Butterworth takes 3 hours thanks to new tracks.

After arrival at Butterworth station follow the signs to the Ferry. The walk takes only a couple of minutes and is very well guided. Fee for the ferry is 2,40 or 2,60 MYR (I do not remember exactly). You need exact amount. You get small change at a counter. The ride back to Butterworth is free.

It is a good and relaxing way to use the train, you always meet interesting people. But book your way back well in advance from here in Thailand. The Malaysian stations will only give you a ticket to the border.

A side note: Do not use a minivan from Hat Yai to Penang. Although it is only 340 Baht, but it takes 7 to 8 hours, although you are told it is 4 hours on the road. And some of the drivers behave arrogant and harsh and treat you like a piece of shit.

Google is never exact. I just want a rough estimate like 1000 or 2500. If its actually worth it or flying is better. I found tickets with air asia for 5000 so if 2 train tickets r like 3000. It might b worth it etc

What's wrong with trying Google then if a rough estimate will do?

Google is never exact. I just want a rough estimate like 1000 or 2500. If its actually worth it or flying is better. I found tickets with air asia for 5000 so if 2 train tickets r like 3000. It might b worth it etc

Actually if you google Thai Railways you'll get the EXACT price and schedule. But as you want a "rough estimate" you've definitely come to the right place.

• Like 1

Can't say Malaysia is very appealing to me as a tourist destination. It seems that place is very closed minded, indeed intolerant of other ideas. Not a good land. Maybe the train to Hat Yai will be enough for me. I do like train rides so one day...maybe.