Poll: Elderly find Thai society less liveable

Lite Beer

Poll: Elderly find Thai society less liveable

BANGKOK, 12 April 2015 (NNT) – A recent survey by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University has found that Thai senior citizens are unhappy with Thai society due mainly to a moral decline and economic woes.

The survey is aimed at sounding out elderly Thais about major topics including the Thai society, economy, and political situation, on the occasion of the National Elderly Day, which falls on April 13.

When asked how they felt about the society, the respondents said they could clearly observe a moral collapse, judging by by selfishness among people, crimes, disunity and noticeable social inequality.

With regard to the economy, the respondents commented that services and consumption products had become more expensive, forcing the general people to tighten their belts and low income earners to work even harder to make ends meet.

On the subject of politics, the respondents are of the opinion that the Thai political situation seems to have improved as seen from a more peaceful political atmosphere. They also find the current government decisive and hard-working.

Regarding their hopes on the occasion of the National Elderly Day, most of the respondents wish their family members to reunite during the Songkran holiday. Others hope for better welfare for senior citizens, national unity and concrete solutions to the country’s problems.

The survey’s results were compiled from the answers of 1,034 elderly people during April 6-11.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-12 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

When asked how they felt about the society, the respondents said they could clearly observe a moral collapse, judging by by selfishness among people, crimes, disunity and noticeable social inequality.

That was brave of them. The army is on the way to charge them with making Thailand look bad as we speak.

• Like 1

Then, who am I to speak about the Thai society?

Their own elders, expressed their opinion and worries.

listen to the older people, youngsters, they have the experience and sense to understand what is going on about.

Political rhetorics and empty ideals are only for the lower intelligence masses.

• Like 2

"On the subject of politics, the respondents are of the opinion that the Thai political situation seems to have improved as seen from a more peaceful political atmosphere. They also find the current government decisive and hard-working."

Can we grovel any more?

Where are the numbers?

• Like 1

This is what every old generation says about the world. Everything more expensive than before, kids are less polite, and the damn VCR clock is still blinking 12:00.

With tha passing of the VCR stores, some readers here are probably wondering: "What's a VCR clock"?

Reminiscing, we were the first on our block for all the new electronic toys. My Dad was like that. We had the first push button telephone. We didn't have a VCR but we did have a betamax! Remember when big events were "Live via satellite?"

• Like 1

listen to the older people, youngsters, they have the experience and sense to understand what is going on about.

Political rhetorics and empty ideals are only for the lower intelligence masses.

Costas, how soon you forget. What did the general say he could do to members of the press?

Do you recall the press being told to say nothing that would reflect badly on the junta? That included taking polls?

Yet you believe every word?

• Like 1

The older generation of every country on earth will tell you that the younger generation is taking their society down the road to hell and doesn't have the same level of morality and decorum that they, the seniors, had when they were young.

Things change over time, including memories of what life was like when we were young. It's called senility. Our parents thought the same thing about us.

Thai elderly people unhappy with moral decline, economic hardship

13-4-2558-10-05-55-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As the country celebrates the Thai New Year today which is also the National Elderly Day, most Thai elderly people say they are not happy with the Thai society because of moral decline and economic woe, according to the latest survey by Suan Dusit Rajabhat University.

Suan Dusit Poll conducted the survey in order to find out what the Thai elderly people were mostly concerned about in society, economy and politics.

A total of 1,034 elderly people were asked in the survey conducted during April 6-11.

Asked about the society they lived in now, most elderly Thais said moral decline is their moist concern.

They cited selfishness among Thai people, increasing crimes, disunity and obviously social inequality.

With regard to the economic woe, the Thai senior citizens attributed higher prices of consumption products and services that are forcing the general people to spend more cautiously and low income earners to work even harder to make ends meet.

On political woe, the senior citizens saw improvement in political situation with more peaceful atmosphere due to the current government decisiveness in working.

Asked what they wished for most on this significant day of the elderly, the National Elderly Day, most elderly respondents wish for family reunion during the Songkran holiday.

Others wished for better welfare, national unity and solutions to the country’s problems.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-elderly-people-unhappy-with-moral-decline-economic-hardship

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-13

One has to wonder how many of these elderly people complaining now were raised by their grandparents or other family members. Or how many of these same people had their children raised by others.

Its a very short trip to the nearest mirror when asking why your children are so screwed up.

• Like 1

" economic woe, the Thai senior citizens attributed higher prices of consumption products and services that are forcing the general people to spend more cautiously and low income earners to work even harder to make ends meet."

Economics probably plays the biggest part, living cost has sky rockets in the past 10 years especially if you live in Bangkok, its as expensive as any develop Asian city, younger generation can not support the elders nowadays with salaries of 15,000 to 25,000 baht if they even want to live a decent life.

Regarding their hopes on the occasion of the National Elderly Day, most of the respondents wish their family members to reunite during the Songkran holiday. Others hope for better welfare for senior citizens, national unity and concrete solutions to the country’s problems.

As my old grandmother used to say we get to soon old and to late schmart (she was German) It will be interesting to see how this poll changes down the road but alas I will not be in my mortal body. Maybe my g/f can contact a seer and have a seance. Better welfare here for seniors would be a tremendous leap forward in my humble opinion. I think over the coming years that "daughters" sending money home will decrease due to the increase of what their needs will be to survive.

I would have to agree with everything the old dears have said! The rise of selfishness and rudeness in Thailand over the past decade has been astonishing.

So who are we going to blame? Thaksin or Islam??