Inctricacies of filling out a Thai tourist visa application

Inctricacies of filling out a Thai tourist visa application

Embassies give different maximum numbers of entries (Berlin 3, Vientiane 2, Penang 1), ask for slightly differnent sizes for passport picture (e.g 3.5x4.5cm or 4x6cm; fortunately they don't check size and ask when exactly the picture was taken - I used pictures over 1 year old and 0.5cm too small successfully), and require different additional documents. The visa application forms looks slightly different, but requested data is the same.

Thai embassy in Berlin:

All fields are small, data I enter with smallest possible handwriting just fits in. E.g. email address, there is 3.0 cm space.

"Date of arrival in Thailand" this is a date in the future, for which I am applying for visa.

"Traveling by" and "flight or vessel's name" is easy, unless you travel around without plan.

"Duration of proposed stay" for the first entry or all entries combinded? I fill in for first entry.

"Date of previous visit to Thailand" here I enter the dates of my last visit.

"Proposed address in Thailand" I found this is scrutinized whereever I applied for tourist visa, I am renting a room and take rent contract with me to avoid problems.

"Name and address of local guarantor" I either leave this empty or fill in my parents' details

"Name and address of guarantor in Thailand" I leave this empty and had no problems so far. I have address and phone number of a hiso Thai friend with me in case embassy staff asks me to fill it out (however the field is too small to enter the full address).

What do you fill in for proposed duration of stay and guarantor in Thailand?

Edited by ChristianPFC

What do you fill in for proposed duration of stay and guarantor in Thailand?

You put "according to visa" and "self", however it doesn't matter as these fields are disregarded anyway.

I agree that it is not always clear about what to fill in thesmall space proviced; however, it does seem like most information is ignored as long as something is completed. Just fill out to the best of your understanding

• Like 1

I posted my application for a double entry tourist visa to the embassy in London 3 pm Thursday afternoon.

Form very simple to fill in took about 5 minutes. passport arrived back with visa Saturday morning 9am

Thats a pretty impressive service

For proposed duration of stay. I always put up to 60 days per entry

Have never been asked for a guarantor.

"Proposed address in Thailand" can at least occasionally cause a problem. I have a hotel and accepted a booking by a group of Romanians. Applying for tourist visas in Bucharest, they showed the room booking e-mail confirmation, but that wasn't enough. I had to make a pdf document confirming the booking.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies.

I just filled out my Arrival and Departure card for upcoming trip to Thailand (tip: get an extra card so you can fill it out at home, more comfortable than in the airplane or in the airport), and here it struck me again:

What is "From / Port of embarkation" and "Next city / Port of disembarkation". I filled in "Berlin" (even though there is a stop in Moscow to change plane), and "Bangkok". They know where I enter Thailand, and (I think) it will be stamped on the arrival card.

Here again, it seems to be of little importance what you fill in. I once sat on the plane next to a passenger who let me take part in the process of filling out his arrival card, his handwriting was illegible.

Thanks for your replies.

I just filled out my Arrival and Departure card for upcoming trip to Thailand (tip: get an extra card so you can fill it out at home, more comfortable than in the airplane or in the airport), and here it struck me again:

What is "From / Port of embarkation" and "Next city / Port of disembarkation". I filled in "Berlin" (even though there is a stop in Moscow to change plane), and "Bangkok". They know where I enter Thailand, and (I think) it will be stamped on the arrival card.

Here again, it seems to be of little importance what you fill in. I once sat on the plane next to a passenger who let me take part in the process of filling out his arrival card, his handwriting was illegible.

I always entirely ignore the back of the arrival card, and in more than 100 arrivals to Thailand, nobody ever cared.

N.S.: Don't forget to bring the sliced cheese. Plus maybe a 500 gr pack of JACOBS KROENUNG or MELITTA AUSLESE ;-)