Alternative to Internet Download Manager

alocacoc

Some suggestions?

What i need, is a software which supports the following two features (like IDM):

1. Starts simultaneous several connections for a fast download

2. Let me download Videos from Youtube were i can choose the quality of the video (440, 720...)

For the point 2, IDM does it integrate on the Firefox Browser. Actually it's very comfortable. But, even i paid for IDM, it says after a recent update i would use a fake Serial. That's BS. It's not the first time i had to fix this issue. Now I'm tired about this BS.

May be a combination of two tools would be also helpful. Like a Firefox add-on which allows me to download a video and then the add-on gives to order to the other tool which will do the job.

With Firefox I use "DownThemAll" add-on.

Many videos can be downloaded with "Video DownloadHelper" add-on.

Just youtube full HD (1080p) req. some "converter"? (have not tried this)

So for this I use a specialized standalone tool named "Youtube Downloader HD". Does a good job.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Video Downloader Helper i know. But it's not only extremely slowly, it's also confusing. A video offers 4 quality's, the addon offer me 8 quality's. So, everytime i download a video, i have to choose the right one carefully.

Youtube Downloader HD i don't know. But it seems there is no Firefox integration.

DownThemAll (DTA) opens multiple connections (segments) automatically, but can be increased/decreased manually if so desired.

WiKi uses the term "Download acceleration".

Download acceleration, also known, as multipart download, is a term for the method employed by software such as download managers to download a single file by splitting it in segments and using several simultaneous connections to download these segments from a single server.

Both IDM as well as DTA have this feature.

The comparison table in WiKi is def. outdated, as DTA has the possibility to limit download speed (e.g.):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_download_managers

The WiKi article about DTA is a bit meager:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DownThemAll!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Actually that sounds good. But is it possible to download videos with DTA? For instance, i open a youtube video, it would be perfect when (like with IDM) a download button appears and let me choose the quality i want to download. It would be fine too, to select it with a right click. I can download it with Video Download Helper. But this addon does not give the job to DTA. So, it works way to slowly.

I need sometimes to download 20-30 videos. I go to the youtube channel, open each new video in a new tab and download them. Easy and fast. That's what i'm looking for.

Been using IDM for years, never any problems and re-installed many times.

Suggest you contact IDM and just solve it with them. You paid for it (lifetime), so you have the right to use it, since you do say you like IDM (except for the registration code error)

• Like 1

Thanks ronthai. I also used IDM since years. But this issue appears from time to time. Recently more often. IDM says only, reinstall. See here: http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/register/new_faq/registrations_main.cgi?mode=0

Normally it worked well. Then i got the advise to uninstall IDM and delete all the IDM junk in the registry manually. But even this don't help. That's enough. If it would be a onetime-event, ok no problem. But the time i save when i do downloads with IDM, the same time i waste to fix this stupid issue.

There are many other fixes to find online for this issue. May be they works.... But this solutions are addressed to people who installed a cracked version.

This message appears:

fake-serial-number-idm.jpg

I can't see this message box again. Never ever.

Enough it's enough.

Edited by alocacoc

It is very well possible that in the past (or current) you had a malware/trojan on your computer and they got your registration number, which is now public on the internet.

I still would say contact IDM and explain and ask for a new registration.

You probably still have the original registration email you got after you purchased it. Just reply to that one and I am sure they will assist you.

• Like 1

It is very well possible that in the past (or current) you had a malware/trojan on your computer and they got your registration number, which is now public on the internet.

I still would say contact IDM and explain and ask for a new registration.

You probably still have the original registration email you got after you purchased it. Just reply to that one and I am sure they will assist you.

Your solution sounds very plausible and I suggest the OP to try it, but in my dealings with some registration issues with software, there was (almost) always the clause, if the key is found on the net (not stating that it is the case here), you have to buy a new own.

I uninstalled IDM last week after years of use. I am currently evaluating Eagleget. It seems to be doing the job so far...time will tell. IDM worked well for me for a long time, but then I got the serial number issue also, and I decided to try something else.

Edited by Pakaty