Bangkok to Angeles city Philippines. Advice needed.

Hi Mate-I went to Angeles two years ago-(big mistake-came back early)but more to the point-Angeles is far from manila-I did it by bus but it was a two hour hassle to find the right bus and over two hours dreadful ride on a horrid old and packed out bus -----SO BETTER TO FLY DIRECTLY TO CLARK AIRPORT if you can.Manilla has nothing to offer and is a scary place compared to BKK or Thailand in general.I would never go back to Phillipines. Angeles is better but nothing much there,anyway that is all up to you.

Your post surprised me. I just spent two glorious weeks in Philippines on my return to Canada from Thailand. I went straight to Cebu so did not experience Manila. And from there I traveled to the south: Dumaguete, Siquior, and other wonderful places. I found the people to be extremely friendly and honest and everyone speaks English so it was easy for me to travel. To be honest, it was quite a pleasant change from 5 months in Thailand and Indonesia. Makes me think I may change my wintering location.

I fly there every month. Cheapest is now Philippine airlines to Manila ( around 9kThb return, incl.20kg baggage, free meal, free seat etc...) For hassle free transfer get a hotel pick up organised from AC hotel ( 2,700 Php) or book a room overnight in Manila at Southern Cross hotel in Ermita and avail of their transfer to AC following day if your flight comes in after mid-day or go there by taxi from airport for straight transfer if morning flight. 600 Php Manila to AC. Private bus. Great.

No more flights from Bkk to Clark. You have no choice but go to Manila anyway. If no return ticket you will be made buy one at Suvarnabhumi as NO airline will take you to Phils without one , no matter the route. Enjoy it... Still a lot of fun there.

Wow, you get a 'free' seat? That will save standing up on the plane for 3 hours! Could have sworn you pay for the seat on booking....silly me.

The cheap airlines make you pay for seat selection. The free seats are usually by the toilet or between two fat stinky farangs who think they own the armrests.

I would recommend you do NOT go without a return ticket, at least not with Philippine Airlines. I tried that last month (March 3) and was denied boarding by ticket agent and forced to RUN upstairs at the Bangkok Suvarnabhumi airport and buy a return ticket on the spot and RUN back downstairs back to the agent. Barely made my flight.

Slightly off topic, but curious if this has happened to anyone else: While upstairs ("6th floor") at Suvarnabhumi airport buying this ticket at Philippine Airline, FOUR mistakes were made by the girl (and myself) who sold me the return ticket that created problems for me a few weeks later. 1. My passport was not returned to me and in my haste I didn't notice so after running downstairs to show the agent my newly purchased ticket, he still could not allow me on flight. A different agent quickly went upstairs and got my passport from the lady who sold me the ticket so I could get on the flight. 2. Girl who sold me the ticket sold me a ticket for APRIL 20, instead of March 20 (yes, I missed this too in my haste). 3. Same girl marked "cash" on receipt when in fact I paid with a credit card 4. Receipt from same girl said "March 2" even though this was done on March 3rd.

I can't prove it, but I personally think there was something fishy about this whole transaction with so many mistakes. Weeks later, upon my return to BKK, I went back up and found the girl and "nicely" confronted her (initially). She was standoffish and had an excuse for everything. One excuse was "Oh, we add or subtract 12 hours when we do a transaction that's why it was dated March 2, not March 3". I wasn't buying any of it but since I made mistakes here too, I can't prove this was done on purpose but I suspect it was. Am/was considering contacting Philippine Airlines but am fairly sure they would do nothing. It cost me roughly $350 to rebook my return flight for the real date of March 20, not April 20.

It's not that Angeles is that far from Manila; it's not. Particularly nowadays with NLEX (the North Luzon Expressway). Traffic is what can make it so painful. If you know your way around Manila, and don't have a lot of luggage, it's possible to get a taxi to the mini-van terminal (I think it's called "North Terminal", but not sure...), and then ride the mini-van up to Angeles. Cheap. Now the thing is, they leave when they're filled - and they will fill them! So try to grab a seat you can live with, and maybe pay for two seats (I forget the cost - but it's cheap) - one for you, one for your bag. If you're faced with a van that's already almost full, just hang back and be first in line for the next one.

Avoid rush hours! (Which probably should be translated to almost anything during daytime working hours, MON-FRI.) Maybe easier said than done, but that's the deal-breaker in all this.

Oh, and have they finished the road construction at NAIA yet? It was so bad back over the holidays that taxis simply weren't picking up there. If that's still the case, they have a sort of shuttle bus (a regular coach) running from the airport (same area where the taxis pick up) that'll get you out of the NAIA area and to a place where you catch a regular taxi to that mini-van terminal. But even for this short leg, if you're not traveling light, it'll be painful cause they'll fill every seat and the center aisle.

All this predicated on traveling LIGHT. If you've got an oversized bag or multiple bags/spouse/kids, just pay the money and take one of the stopover flights to Clark.

You might think about negotiating a taxi all the way to Angeles. The driver will probably want something well north of 2000PHP. If you can find one that lives up around there, they may accept a fare closer to the 2000P level to be able to spend the night at home.

If comfort is more important than cost or schedule, then you're better off with the stopover flight thru Singapore or wherever.

Frankly, Angeles ain't what it used to be. And the cancellation of direct flights between Bangkok & Clark makes it all-day travel and far more expensive than it used to be. But if you gotta' go, you gotta' go. smile.png

Update to the above:

The mini van terminal I referred to is called the "FX Terminal" at SM North. Many of their mini vans going many places - just look or ask for the one going to Angeles.

The shuttle bus stop away from the airport was at a mall whose name I can't remember. NOT Mall of Asia (MOA) but on Roxas Blvd south of MOA.

If you can get a taxi to Angeles from NAIA for 2000PHP, I'd say it's worth it. Avoid morning and afternoon rush hours (and holidays) at all costs; avoid any daytime working hours at all if possible.

Might as well just plan on a delayed arrival at NAIA. Even if a miracle happens and the flight does touch down somewhere close to its scheduled arrival, you still stand a good chance of cooling your heels waiting for them to assign the aircraft an arrival gate and THEN getting a jet way to it! Certainly one of the worst run airports in the world.

asdecas has summed it up nicely; but I will add a small post script.

Use the tourist buses e.g. Swagman Fly the Bus, as they are much safer than the public ones which have been frequently robbed. Is it worth risking your life for a few Pesos?

Try to arrive and leave MNL on a weekend when the traffic should be lighter.

A few years back I was held at the airport for 2 hours as I did not have a return air ticket (I was leaving on a friend's yacht). Despite my pleas, I was forced to buy a return air ticket by immigration and of course that was a full priced ticket.

I wanted to avoid Manilla and last month I flew from Chiangmai to Kuala Lumpur using Air Asia.

Then Kuala Lumpur to Clark on Air Asia again. They had a good price for this leg.

I had to sleep over in Kuala Lumpur . Now they have a new low cost terminal: KLIA2 . Brand new and there is also a new TUNE Hotel on location. No need for taxi.

I the morning you go walk back to the airport and check in.

You exit Immigration, pass the restaurant and there is a walkway to the Tune Hotel. You can use the airport cart and leave it there if you have heavy luggage.

Immigration at KLIA2 was efficient booth way.

Arriving at Clark was easy too and I had a hotel pick-up waiting for me. I try to avoid Manilla Airports....so inefficient with those 4 terminals.

Hi guys. I am flying down from Udon to Bkk.

Then on to Philippines but still looking at the best options.
So far it seems Tiger to Singapore and then to is the best option if I can get the 8 hours and 55 minute deal.
Still looking for a wingman to accompany me as well.
I have been to Angeles 19 times over the years. But due to time and other issues have not been back since 2008.

"Still looking for a wingman to accompany me as well."

When some weeks time, possible? rolleyes.gif

Hi guys. I am flying down from Udon to Bkk.

Then on to Philippines but still looking at the best options.
So far it seems Tiger to Singapore and then to is the best option if I can get the 8 hours and 55 minute deal.
Still looking for a wingman to accompany me as well.
I have been to Angeles 19 times over the years. But due to time and other issues have not been back since 2008.

"Still looking for a wingman to accompany me as well."

When some weeks time, possible? rolleyes.gif

Earliest time I can go would be late July or early August. Have friends and family coming over in May and June.smile.png

asdecas has summed it up nicely; but I will add a small post script.

Use the tourist buses e.g. Swagman Fly the Bus, as they are much safer than the public ones which have been frequently robbed. Is it worth risking your life for a few Pesos?

Try to arrive and leave MNL on a weekend when the traffic should be lighter.

A few years back I was held at the airport for 2 hours as I did not have a return air ticket (I was leaving on a friend's yacht). Despite my pleas, I was forced to buy a return air ticket by immigration and of course that was a full priced ticket.

When this happens to me I buy any ticket that is 100% refundable. Assuming you have the money to do this and wait for the refund it is the easiest way.

I have lived in Angeles City for 12 years. There's a lot of information presented here but unfortunately not all accurate. Let me try to summarize and provide some insight for you:

"Have never gone there via Bangkok and need some advice please. I have not been to Angeles since 2008 so looking for some up to date information."

Via BKK, there are no direct flights now to CRK. SSEAir and then Tiger Air used to fly direct into CRK but Cebu Pacific air took over the route a few years back and then ultimately cancelled it forcing everyone to fly to/from Manila.

"What is the best airline to fly with?"

My subjective opinion is Cebu Pacific Air is the most convenient airline (all things considered). I used their website with travel dates June 8 to June 29 and this is what it showed. There are 2 flights to MNL. One (5J932) departs at 0040 arriving at 0455 and another (5J930) that departs at 0940 arriving at 1400. For the BKK return, there are also 2 flights. One (5J929) departs at 0635 arriving at 0855 and another (5J931) that departs at 2135 arriving at 2350. They have a promotion at the moment with the fare being 2195B each way. This excludes fees/taxes.

A plus for them is they use terminal 3, which is much newer and nicer than the dreaded terminal 1.

"Should i buy a return ticket or one way?"

As others have stated, you absolutely, positively must have an onward ticket. No exceptions! The airline will deny you boarding if you don't have one.

"Once I get to Manila is it best to get a bus to Angeles or arrange a hotel pick up?"

You didn't specify a budget. If your hotel can arrange a pickup for you, this might be the most convenient option, although perhaps not the cheapest. I always use the services of Margarita Station. They are not cheap but they are reliable and charge 2900 pesos for a pickup at the airport and 2800 pesos for a drop off. Others have posted their website.

If you are familiar/comfortable with Manila or on a tight budget, you can take a local bus as others have suggested. If you have a lot of luggage, this might not be the most practical option. There are always shady characters lurking about looking for a opportunity steal. I believe Victory Liner bus station is the closest. Most buses will terminate in Dau, which is a few miles from Fields Ave. area. So from there, you will need to take a trike or if you are an intrepid traveler, try a jeepney for 8 pesos. Philippine Rabbit bus company has their main bus station near downtown Angeles and it goes right passed Fields Ave. You can tell the conductor to let you off there. You can walk or take a trike to your hotel. Their bus station in Manila is a little further away from the airport but saves you the hassle of stopping in Dau.

"Anything else I need to consider prior to and during my trip?"

You will get a 30 day visa on arrival (used to be 21 days). If you plan to stay longer than a month, you must get your visa extended to 59 days at the immigration office. If you have time and will be in Bangkok for a few days, you might consider getting a single entry 59 day visa at the Philippine consulate. It's cheaper and far less hassle. The consulate is about 8 minutes walk West from Thong Lor BTS.

Go to Tequila Reef and ask the cashier for a (free) Philippines-Addict membership card. You get a discount on food at TR and many bars will offer a discount on your drinks. If you go to Lost in Asia bar, you can get a PI at Night card which offers similar discounts.

"Any helpful advice is much appreciated."

Keep your nose clean and a low profile. Don't draw attention to yourself. If you go looking for trouble, trouble will find you. Just use common sense and you'll have a good time. As other have stated, bars have been raided but they generally only take the staff. I can only recall one instance a few years ago when customers were taken to Manila. If you find yourself it that situation, pay your bill and try to quietly leave.

To get in the mood, find the schedule for the Maniac Monday and Wow Wednesday parties. They have girls from 6 different bars dancing at the host bar with reduced price drinks, finger food and raffle prizes. It's generally posted on the wall of La Bamba in the rest room! It's from 6PM to 8PM but go early to get a good seat.

The price for an EWR (early work release) varies from 1200p on up to 3000p for spotlight girls. Quality has slowly gone way down the last few years for what I like but YMMV. They are out there but you just have to keep "stirring to pot" so to speak.

More and more bars are becoming Korean owned, which, isn't in and of itself, a bad thing. What turns me off is the owners seem to prefer the girls dance in evening attire (long dresses) revealing almost no flesh except elbows and ankles. If I can't see skin, I ain't interested but that's just me.

Have a good time but it ain't nuthin' like Pattaya...

Its all one way flights on low cost airlines. You buy one flight there and one flight back. Go on one airline, come back on a different one if its cheaper. Into Clark back from Manila if that suits. I went to Angeles in 97. i would rank it as one of the worst places i have been in the whole world.

Not so with Air Asia,can do return.Don't they fly straight to Clark?

Its all one way flights on low cost airlines. You buy one flight there and one flight back. Go on one airline, come back on a different one if its cheaper. Into Clark back from Manila if that suits. I went to Angeles in 97. i would rank it as one of the worst places i have been in the whole world.

Not so with Air Asia,can do return.Don't they fly straight to Clark?

Not from Thailand - not since last July.

• 1 year later...

16 months on from the last post of April 2015, have any low-cost airlines resumed BKK-CRK direct?   On a quick search, all I could find was Tiger Air via a night in Singapore!   If flying from London, without a need for a side trip to Thailand, Qatar and Emirates still go directly to CRK, albeit on expensive, slow and roundabout routes.   Or is there an easier way?   Has there been a downturn in nightlife or business in Angeles City (Philippines) that has prompted this situation?   It's very hard to reach now!

Edited by Trevor25222