Air China or Korean to Canada

Green

Leaving June 23-Sept 6th from Bkk to YYJ (Victoria Canada), Air china is 984USD, with 6:40h stop over in beijing, but short stop overs on return. (Also 772.USD to Vancouver, which is 212US cheaper? Could get the ferry to Victoria...).

Korean is 1,365.USD, no long stop overs.

Recommendations?

Thanks

That's a huge difference in price. $772 vs. $1,365 is almost $600. If that ferry takes, say, 2 extra hours...and the stopover is, say, 4 hours more than KA. Then you're looking at 6 hours and paying yourself $100/hour to take the cheaper flight.

Korean Air is a nice airline. Air China is OK also.

Some friends came from Victoria a month or so ago, and had a return flight Victoria, Vancouver - BKK for roughly an amazing C550 bucks return w00t.gif ... it was a Japanese airline... the name I cannot remember at the momentfacepalm.gif Not one I was familiar with but a large airline... They were happy with it....

The Victoria Vancouver part would have been Air Canada.... I'll see if I can dig up the Japanese airline... and post later...

I have used most Airlines, such as Air China, Cathy, Air Canada, quiet frankly never found a lot of difference between them... I always booked the cheapest from YVR....

Best to search for cheap flights and be flexible on days to travel to get best deals.... .... that can be tedious as it does vary... wink.png

With Canadian / US dollar exchange rates these days ... better to find prices quoted in C $ ....

Edited by samuijimmy

Recently flew BKK-ICN-YVR one-way with Korean, and thought they were the best airline I'd been on in several years, would definitely recommend them. thumbsup.gif

Cathay Pacific returning were good, but lacked the 'Wow Factor', somehow.

But Air China keep coming up as the cheapest for summer, which means I've got to consider them, despite 4 & 6-hour stopovers both ways. However their return-flight to BKK gets in late-evening, missing my last domestic-connection.

So I too am interested in anyone-else's experience on board them.

Edited by Ricardo

Imagine if both airlines had identical prices but Air China were giving you a brand new 10inch iPad or similar if you flew with them, or a nice new smartphone?

I would fly Air China and save the cash. You could buy something nice with it. Sometimes the long stopovers give you a relaxed trip. When you are delayed 3 hours in BKK you will be totally chilled as you have plenty of time. The people with the fast connections are stressed out, worrying about whats going to happen at PEK, can't enjoy the flight, meal, movies etc. Think of the positives.

China does a transit visa on arrival nowadays.3 days max stay. Book the flight with 24h-48h stopover and have a city break in Beijing?

New flight opened up on China Southern Airlines, 860USD, bkk--YYJ--bkk. How is the Alliance health insurance? Just thinking in case of cancellation, or perhaps wanting to change dates/cancel coming back. It was about 400CDN to change a return date last year.

Thanks very much! I was planning to take extra luggage and just pay whatever it costs. I need to still check if these airlines allow that and how much it is.

Maybe you could use some of the savings from China to ship your luggage separately.

I flown Korean twice in the past 2 months, coach, and both trips were decent....by coach standards. Korean has the most attentive FA's of any airline I've flown, even on a crowded flight. Seating is OK, food is pretty much standard economy fare though much more palatable than some. ICN is one of the better airports to have a layover in: free showers and loungers to stretch out on (Look for "Rest Stop" signs in the departure area).. There are also several very well done Korean handicraft shops which offer periodic live traditional instrument and dance performances as well as a chance to sit down and create your own souvenir using free materials. The only airport I know besides Changi in Singapore where a 3 hour layover sometimes isn't long enough.

Are the amenities of Korean and ICN worth the almost $600 premium?? Not if I were paying..

It was ANA All Nippon Airlines my friends used, from Victoria to BKK.... for the C$550.00 each for return flight... could be worth checking? .... to see what prices come up...

http://www.ana.co.jp/asw/index.jsp?type=ie

I just did a quick look, but looks like it would mean going to San Francisco ... then heading north again...bah.gifI would imagine it involves AC on the last leg... from, SF to Victoria...

• Like 1