Best Mobile Networks for SIM while visiting UK and EU

Trexpat

To keep it simple:

1. Data roaming is expensive (please Google "bill shock")

2. I'd recommend to buy 1 pre-paid SIM card (+ 1 data plan) per country you visit.

3. These cards can be bought @ the airports and Telco Shops.

4. Generally speaking, Tier 1 Telcos offer the best coverage.

5. However, it'd depend on the location.

Hope it'll help

• Like 1

To keep it simple:

1. Data roaming is expensive (please Google "bill shock")

2. I'd recommend to buy 1 pre-paid SIM card (+ 1 data plan) per country you visit.

3. These cards can be bought @ the airports and Telco Shops.

4. Generally speaking, Tier 1 Telcos offer the best coverage.

5. However, it'd depend on the location.

Hope it'll help

Generally agree with above. Have a look on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/mobile-phone-cost-cutting for UK for example. Suggest Google for other or Euro wide coverage.

For a USB data sim for a laptop I can recommend EE in the UK which I used last year. I originally tried Vodafone but could not get it to work reliably (nor could the store in the end) and had my purchase refunded but it cost me a lot of wasted time and effort.

Well as I just came from the UK last month I can tell you don't use Virgin, while they were easy to setup, didn't check me coverage was poor in many areas around Scotland, more than a few times my data connection went to 2G / Edge internet which isn't 3G. When my internet did work I only got 3G internet speeds a lot

Yes, as suggested before, buy a SIM for each country. I can not tell about UK, but I was in Spain for few weeks just now, and I was hoping to use my existing SIM card that bought in Finland. EU roaming regulations have made roaming within EU cheap, and data use is capped to about 6 Euros per day, and that includes 100 Mb of data. That means you are cut off after 6 Euros have been reached, so no chance of a massive surprise phone bill. Seems reasonable, yes?

No.

100 Mb is used up very quickly, even while not browsing phone much, I had of course all apps updating, the weather apps and all the rest, so in the middle of day 1 in Barcelona SMS notification tells you that your 100 Mb are gone, and you can ask for another 100 Mb top by sending SMS to my Finland carrier.

So I walked to corner store, bought Orange prepaid data SIM for 10 Euros, for that I got a SIM card and 1 Gb of data. If you ran out of 1 Gb, you can top up at Orange web site, very simple. Real 3G speed, even in very crowded areas, no complaints.

Going to France, same thing - buy a local prepaid data SIM. Roaming isn't expensive if you have a SIM card from EU nation, but it is much cheaper to buy local SIM.

using a Thai SIM in EU.. I dont even want to think of the roaming charges lol

Edited by whitemouse

I researched that for the UK last year and went for EE. Worked great and used 3G which was relatively inexpensive. I'm going back again next month and will use the same sim. I'm also going to Monaco for a week and although I won't use the phone much, I'll just load up to cover any important calls, but otherwise I will use wifi from the hotel.

Edited by ChiangmaiRob

I still have my old O2 Pre-paid SIM and keep it active.

For data I use my PC and again I have an O2 SIM in a dongle and pre-pay for data with a credit card. I expect I will need to swap this as I have not used it for over 6 months, but last time the O2 shop gave me one for free.

There is an International SIM which for £15 top-up offers 100MB of data, a lot of 'minutes' but to other O2 phones only.

Call mobiles and landlines abroad from the UK for just 1p a minute. Plus, you can text anywhere in the world from the UK for 12p. And you get O2 minutes and O2 texts plus some data to use in the UK too.

I would not do 'roaming' using the Thai SIM.

Edited by jacko45k

in uk , here are cheapest

EE

O2

in eu a lot of people go for this one

LEBARA. or 3 moble.

i suggest you buy a sim card from any of these and get internet , if you get internet then you can download these apps below to make instant free calls and messages to any where in the world

www.line.com

www.facebookmessenger.com

www.viber.com

www.whatsapp.com

I just checked the EE pay as you go.. And it didn't seem much different to the 3 package.. Also the £15 3 package is unlimited.. So why EE definitely???

Also 3 don't do auto package update.. Your credit stays on until YOU choose to use it.

Edited by casualbiker

I just checked the EE pay as you go.. And it didn't seem much different to the 3 package.. Also the £15 3 package is unlimited.. So why EE definitely???

Also 3 don't do auto package update.. Your credit stays on until YOU choose to use it.

No Tethering with the £15 All You Can Eat package on PAYG with 3.

in uk , here are cheapest

EE

O2

in eu a lot of people go for this one

LEBARA. or 3 moble.

i suggest you buy a sim card from any of these and get internet , if you get internet then you can download these apps below to make instant free calls and messages to any where in the world

www.line.com

www.facebookmessenger.com

www.viber.com

www.whatsapp.com

When did O2 become the cheapest??

No Tethering with the £15 All You Can Eat package on PAYG with 3.

True enough. Lucky I never tether