High-profile suspects behind pyramid scheme 'have left Thailand'

webfact

High-profile suspects behind pyramid scheme 'have left Thailand'
Angsuma Sridokkham
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE CRIMINAL Court has issued arrest warrants for Lt-General Athiwat Sunpan and his wife Jirapimon for their alleged involvement in the U-Fun Store's alleged pyramid scheme, assistant national police chief Lt-General Suwira Songmetta said yesterday.

The couple will face public fraud charges, Suwira said.

Athiwat reportedly served as a chief international relations officer for the U-Fun company, which allegedly affected more than 100,000 people and led to more than Bt10 billion in losses.

An informed source reported that Athiwat had left Thailand last Friday, possibly for the United States, before police applied for his arrest warrant.

Suwira also commented on a report that some U-Fun members who didn't think they had been duped had joined a social-media movement claiming the victims had already been compensated.

They reportedly sent messages that seemed to threaten U-Fun clients to stop them from filing complaints with police.

He said investigators had been gathering evidence for the case |and urged clients who had paid at least Bt17,500 to the firm to file police complaints to protect their rights.

Suwira confirmed that the police investigation into U-Fun stemmed from public complaints through the Dhamrongtham Centres that the company had not paid them promised returns.

Suwira said police also found that the company had not run a direct-sale business, as claimed, when registering for a licence.

The address of its product-manufacturing facility turned out to be only a grocery store, police said.

Four U-Fun executives were arrested last Friday on charges of embezzlement. They were Ratthawit Thiti-arunwat, 34; Chaithorn Thonglorlert, 41; Ritthidej Warong, 39; and Apichanat Saenkla, 40.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/High-profile-suspects-behind-pyramid-scheme-have-l-30258054.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-16

If investigators kept their mouths shut suspects would have less chance of making their escape.

By accident or design ?

We know Thai officialdom loves the sound of their own voices but suspects in major investigations do runners far too often.

• Like 1

"Suwira also commented on a report that some U-Fun members who didn't think they had been duped had joined a social-media movement claiming the victims had already been compensated.

They reportedly sent messages that seemed to threaten U-Fun clients to stop them from filing complaints with police."

If these people want to contact me I have a sure fire scheme involving buying national monuments from around the world and placing them in a park so tourists can visit them all at once. All I need is 500,000 dollars to get me started. I have the rest in a secret bank account left to me by this guy who had to flee a revolution somewhere or else, but I need the half million to free them up. Bribes and what not.

You may have to wait a few years to get any money back, but the returns will be magnificent...........

Also I have this idea for a pie in the sky restaurant................

• Like 1

"Suwira also commented on a report that some U-Fun members who didn't think they had been duped had joined a social-media movement claiming the victims had already been compensated.

They reportedly sent messages that seemed to threaten U-Fun clients to stop them from filing complaints with police."

If these people want to contact me I have a sure fire scheme involving buying national monuments from around the world and placing them in a park so tourists can visit them all at once. All I need is 500,000 dollars to get me started. I have the rest in a secret bank account left to me by this guy who had to flee a revolution somewhere or else, but I need the half million to free them up. Bribes and what not.

You may have to wait a few years to get any money back, but the returns will be magnificent...........

Also I have this idea for a pie in the sky restaurant................

"Also I have this idea for a pie in the sky restaurant................" OMG! That's fantastic news! It's been years since I have had a steak and mushroom pie or a steak and kidney pie. PM when your collecting the cash. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Thai greed for money its just a joke and these people are well to do high ranking generals but not enough billions coming their way watch me rob some more money lovely money now lets fill these suitcases of Bahts and go shopping abroad for a private jet then we can come back quietly and collect the rest.

• Like 1

for their alleged involvement in the U-Fun Store's alleged pyramid scheme

double-allegedness...is that viable at all? Criminally and grammatically?

When reporting on these alleged criminals, the more allegeds the better.

100,000 people lost in the region of 10 billion between them.

I wonder how much of that 10 billion was aquired through corruption in the first place.

And how many of those people knew the whole thing was corrupt, but wanted to get in on the action. Only now it has been exposed, are quickly playing the I am innocent card to cover their own corrupt <deleted>.

• Like 1

I wonder how much of that 10 billion was aquired through corruption in the first place.

And how many of those people knew the whole thing was corrupt, but wanted to get in on the action. Only now it has been exposed, are quickly playing the I am innocent card to cover their own corrupt <deleted>.

Harsh, not altogether incorrect mind you, but still harsh.

Some undoubtedly knew, but others, newbies to investment, may well have genuinely been conned.

As I say, I can't disagree with the sentiment of your post, just not sure it applies to all.

• Like 1

Harsh, not altogether incorrect mind you, but still harsh.

Some undoubtedly knew, but others, newbies to investment, may well have genuinely been conned.

As I say, I can't disagree with the sentiment of your post, just not sure it applies to all.

Absolutely it doesn't apply to all. I imagine anyone that invested over 500,000 would have checked it out very carefully before parting with such a sum. After all, they didn't get all that cash by financially stupid. I am sure smaller investors of 1 or 200,000 were hoodwinked.

But 10 billion to 100,000 people mean that there must have been a few large investors. They certainly deserve a look at.

Don't you think? ????

• Like 1

Surprise...surprise...surprise...if the thieves have enough money socked away in another country...they are not likely to be extradited back to Thailand to face charges...money talks...

A post baiting another member's response has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.