HELP! 90 Day Reporting And Stamp Transfer

Got a problem, changed my name by deed poll and sent away for a new passport with new name, no problem. Got form from British embassy to transfer extension of stay stamp to new passport, so went today to do that and 90 day report at the same time. Anyway i go to transfer stamp to new passport and they ask me do you have proof of change of name? I say yes my new passport, and the form stamped and signed by the British embassy, also the deed poll signed and stamped by a notary public here in Thailand that i used to change my name on my passport along with my old passport. They tell me this isn't sufficient evidence that i am the same person, bearing in mind my old passport is only 2 years old so i haven't changed that much. So they wouldn't transfer my stamp or let me do my 90 day report, they say i need more evidence that i am me and to return in the next 7 days which is my 90 day report deadline. Question is if all these forms of ID are supposedly insufficient (never mind they're sufficient for the rest of the world) where do i stand and what can i do?

Which immigration office was this?

I suspect part of the problem was they had never done it before.

At the moment I am at a loss as to what more you can do to prove our identity.

Was the name change document translated to Thai? Getting it translated might help.

There is a legal process which must be followed in the UK to change a name by "deed poll" . There is legal paperwork associated with the process.

If that paperwork (which MUST have been presented to obtain a new passport) had been translated and provided to immigration I doubt a "problem" would have arisen.

I am fully aware of the legal process, how do you think i received my new passport back in 2 weeks? A passport is the highest form of ID a person can possess, i can travel all over the world and use as ID, but not good enough for Thailand. Pathetic!!

Sounds like getting the name change document translated to Thai is the first thing to do.

If you're leaving in June, and if you still have your old passport why don't you just report using the old passport?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I am fully aware of the legal process, how do you think i received my new passport back in 2 weeks? A passport is the highest form of ID a person can possess, i can travel all over the world and use as ID, but not good enough for Thailand. Pathetic!!

With that attitude you are clearly best advised to leave Thailand !
Had you presented (translated ) legal evidence of how/why the name change was accomplished I doubt there would have been a problem !
Just as a matter of interest, why did you feel the need to change the name ?
  • Like 1

Sounds like getting the name change document translated to Thai is the first thing to do.

If you're leaving in June, and if you still have your old passport why don't you just report using the old passport?

I wouldn't have thought you could use the old passport as it is cancelled and no longer valid, if i can then that is what i will have to do.

What you are asking immigration to do is not the same as using your new passport to enter a country.

You are asking them to change your immigration records over to a different name. The record includes you entry. extension. permit to stay date and etc.

They also will have to do an annotation of your visa that was issued under another name into your new passport.

My passport is legal evidence of name change, it is a government issued document good for ID all over the world, what makes Thailand think it is not?

No one will argue against that, but like it or not you have to give whatever Immigration need to satisfy their need.

I suspect, as Ubonjoe, that they've not had this before and don't know what to do.

Bureaucracy in Thailand is a pain, but one thing I've learnt here is that spitting the dummy doesn't get you anywhere. You can argue your point about the passport until you are blue in the face, but they won't budge.

Sounds like they just want to connect the dots from your old passport to the new one. I've no idea about the name change process, but if you have a "name change document" I'd have thought that would do the job.

I wouldn't have thought you could use the old passport as it is cancelled and no longer valid, if i can then that is what i will have to do.

Is the passport stamped as cancelled?

If not I don't see how Thai Immigration would know it was. I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong.

And if not, maybe you could exit now on the old one, get a tourist visa in Laos to cover the remainder of your stay, then re-enter on the new passport.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My new passport is however sufficient to prove my ID, something that immigration are refusing to do, even though i have all paperwork intact.

Was this "change of name " Enrolled with the Royal Courts of Justice and published in the London Gazette?

If so you have the legal documentation which will support the change and which, if translated, would remove any "difficulty"

Edited by nzexpat

Was this "change of name " Enrolled with the Royal Courts of Justice and published in the London Gazette?

If so you have the legal documentation which will support the change and which, if translated, would remove any "difficulty"

No it wasn't enrolled with the Royal Courts of justice, and there is no legal requirement to do so. The passport is the same if it was enrolled or not. I have the Deed Poll signed and notarised by a lawyer in Thailand, which was sufficient for the British Government to change my name but not sufficient for Thailand to recognise it.

Passport is cancelled, they cut off the bottom corner when you pick your new one up so it cannot be used. I'll go next week and try again and if they refuse me again then to hell with them!

That sucks!

If immigration won't play ball you will have get a lawyer involved to help.

Good luck.

No it wasn't enrolled with the Royal Courts of justice, and there is no legal requirement to do so. The passport is the same if it was enrolled or not. I have the Deed Poll signed and notarised by a lawyer in Thailand, which was sufficient for the British Government to change my name but not sufficient for Thailand to recognise it.

So tough !

So tough !

Yeah, whatever!

Frankly, I think you were extremely fortunate to have a new passport issued on the basis of a "deed pole" exercised in Thailand .