Java Disabled in Chrome 42 by default

Chicog

If you are stuck with Java apps, then you'll find a problem when you upgrade to Chrome 42 - it's disabled by default.
To re-enable it enter the following:

(Don't use the quotes, I put them in because TV is trying to parse it as a link!).

Then click "Enable" at the top and, at the bottom, "Relaunch".

I think they have set the clock on six months before they disable it permanently.

Meanwhile make sure you keep Java up to date as well.

Added: I can't get the command to display, so follow the instructions here

Edited by Chicog

Earlier today I wondered what version my Google Chrome Browser was at, so selected SETTINGS / About Google Chrome

It was still using 40.x and was wanting to install the 42.x update

...interesting that it was still on v40.x and hadn't even auto-updated or even told me an update was available for 41.x. Very odd.

So, if you are running CHROME BROWSER, you might want to check the ABOUT page and see what version you're running.

Edited by RichCor

Once you click on "about," Chrome will update automatically.

Hardly automatic if you have to click "about", is it?

Not sure what bothers me more, that it didn't auto-update or that simply selecting "about" committed me to the update process.

"Yes, I'd like to find out more information about ...."

" CONGRATULATIONS !! You've just committed to Purchase a Condo and will be Marrying my Sister"

( I'm pretty sure it's his "sister" )

You must all be on windows.... this is no surprise, was announced many years ago and was removed from chrome on linux a year ago or so, got a feeling mac too.

Its not specifically java thats disabled but the extension format that java uses. If java ever release a browser plugin for chromes new format java will be back. Until then firefox for the few tasks that need it.

Look into nnapi and pnapi which are old and new formats (spelt wrong but similar I think!)

Have you ever seen: He's Dead, Jim"?

Just checked on a notebook, downloaded the 32 Chrome yesterday and saw, the Jim's dead massage.

Please see attached file. Thanks for any responses.

P.S. I can't go to any Google settings.

post-158336-0-91949500-1429350644_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

Just checked on a notebook, downloaded the 32 Chrome yesterday and saw, the Jim's dead massage.

Hopefully you mean 32-bit v42

Extension errors. If it were me I would delete the /Program Files/Google/Chrome folder, reboot and try to install again.

Hopefully you mean 32-bit v42

Extension errors. If it were me I would delete the /Program Files/Google/Chrome folder, reboot and try to install again.

Sorry, meant 42, running a 32 bit W 7. Thanks, will try and let you know. Thanks a lot.