Thailand Post Office

mallmagician

Hi All,

I know its not specifically CM related, but thought you guys and gals may be able to help on this one.

Say I want to send a shirt home to my folks in an envelope that weighs in total 300g. If I send this via Airmail Letter it costs 220THB. If its a "Small Packet" Airmail, then it costs 156 BAHT, a considerable saving.

Whats the difference? Whenever I go the PO they seem to automatically try and charge me Intnl Letter Airmail. I want to send stuff by Small Packet coz its cheaper.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Phil

Hi All,

I know its not specifically CM related, but thought you guys and gals may be able to help on this one.

Say I want to send a shirt home to my folks in an envelope that weighs in total 300g. If I send this via Airmail Letter it costs 220THB. If its a "Small Packet" Airmail, then it costs 156 BAHT, a considerable saving.

Whats the difference? Whenever I go the PO they seem to automatically try and charge me Intnl Letter Airmail. I want to send stuff by Small Packet coz its cheaper.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Phil

Not quite sure how you arrive at the 156 baht for a small packet. I send a lot of small padded bags and "postpacks" and the rate is always the same standard rate...

To Europe the first 10 gms is 17 baht and an extra 7 baht for every multiple of 10 gms over that.

so for your 300 gm package it would be 17 baht plus (29x7=203) Total 220 baht Your lower cost could be for the Thai equivalent of SAL

International EMS is about 60% up on these rates, and registered items have a flat rate of 55 baht.

If you look on the Thailand Post website, they have Letter Airmail (220THB for 300gm), and Small Packet Airmail (156THB for 300gm). The workers always seem to charge the letter charge, but surely a shirt or a little jiffy would be a "small packet"?

Anyone else had experience in this? Its a big saving if you send stuff with any regularity.

Cheers

Phil

If you look on the Thailand Post website, they have Letter Airmail (220THB for 300gm), and Small Packet Airmail (156THB for 300gm). The workers always seem to charge the letter charge.

That's where you made your mistake :o:D you looked at their web site!! I had it out with them over this way back, they said they were incorrect. That was when they wrote the rates out for me.

UK/EU 17 baht for the first 10 gms and 7 baht for each multiple of 10 gms over that.

USA 19 baht for the first 10 gms and 9 baht for each multiple of 10 gms over that.

ASIA 14 baht for the first 10 gms and 5 baht for each multiple of 10 gms over that.

Believe me, if I could get a cheaper rate, I would...MM

Ok. so went in the post office today. Thai friend in hand, and got Small Packet rate. All it involved was adding a sticker that says Gift, and a value on the front!

So there's a tip for all! Make sure you know the thai for "Small Packet Air Please" in Thai, and fill out a little customs sticker!

Cheers

Phil

• 2 years later...
Ok. so went in the post office today. Thai friend in hand, and got Small Packet rate. All it involved was adding a sticker that says Gift, and a value on the front!

So there's a tip for all! Make sure you know the thai for "Small Packet Air Please" in Thai, and fill out a little customs sticker!

Cheers

Phil

Good info Phil, I just got ripped on 2 packages and then came home and looked at the website, there is a air mail SAL rate even lower the Small Packet Rate, but no explanation what SAL is. When you go to the post office, they just charge the highest rate and thats it, they do not ask what kind of service you want, and on the web site there are about 20 different rates for the same weight package??? So you have to know what you want going in, but very limited information explaining the different services. I mailed many from USA to international customers and the rates seem very high here, I mean 55 baht for tracking? I paid about $.15 in USA for tracking using stamps.com. So, I have to figure out some way to get better postal prices as I will be mailing many things in the near future. If anyone has more info on dealing with the postal system here I would appreciate it.

SAL is an economy air rate. Delivery within 21days although I have often found it is much quicker than that

Thanks for the info Milton, will ask for that next time! by the way do you know what SAL is short for, slower air something?

Edited by Rainmon

Sea Air Land. I Believe

I have had packages take over a month to the US using it.

SAL is an economy air rate. Delivery within 21days although I have often found it is much quicker than that

Thanks for the info Milton, will ask for that next time! by the way do you know what SAL is short for, slower air something?

Sea Air Land. I Believe

I have had packages take over a month to the US using it.

[quote name='Rainmon' post='2209896' date='2008-09-12 06:42:41'

Yes, but how much faster is the regular air mail service, this service cost me 291 baht for 326 grams with the 55 baht tracking registered mail (a very light pair of ladies pants, that cost less than the shipping), the SAL service (according the web site) would have been about half, this really ads up when shipping 30-50 packages a month.

and by the way, what is this EMS service, is it like UPS but the Thai post office is somehow connected with them or is it just another service name to confuse people? Thanks!

Regular Mail takes 7 - 14 days to the US around 7 days to Australia, UK . I had a bit of bad luck with SAL, I think the longer something is in transit the more chance of it getting broken. That probably does not matter so much with pants.

EMS is sort of an in between service faster than Regular Mail, not quite as fast as UPS/FedEx.

EDIT: Considering what you are shipping you should ship via "Small Package" if you are not already

Edited by Lordfoul

EMS= Express Mail Service. Offered by Thai Post.

Has tracking, and is not as expensive as DHL/UPS/FedEx. 4 day delivery to the US is what they state. Usually a week max in my experience.

A mailing of documents in June this year from here to the US cost me 600 B (my tax return sent to Houston, TX).

thanks very much for all the input/info, I think I have it sorted now! best regards, Paul...

just a follow up i think you will find the small packet rate cheaper than letter as small packets are not supposed to be sealed or stuck down, makes it easier for customs to check in side.

Example :

if you send a item in one of those small padded envelopes and staple it with a few staples across the top then you can send nit cheaper than if you were to actually seal it , and the same goes with the small boxes if you close the box and just put the string around it they supply then this will be cheaper (Small packet rate) than if you seal the box with the 3 peices of sticky tape they supply, i think this is like i mentioned before it is easier for customs to check the contents wheather it is to open the package, insert some sort of sniffing device or what ever. (Oh thats two Examples)

Oh and the registered 55 baht option is a commplete waste of money , they give you a tracking number but when you enter this in to the Thai post office track and trace all it confirms is that it was posted or received at the post office.

The UK post office can not trace or track it with the registered number also any registerd item i have sent in the past has taken a lot longer than some thing i have not registered.

Just a follow up to the follow up, it's realy strange you can send like 1 or 2 Kgs at letter rate to me that would be like a realy big letter at the same time send the same by small packet rate (Cheaper option) Mmmmm strange

When is a letter not a letter whan it is a small package i suppose, and visa versa

The 55 Baht Registered option is for proof of delivery not for Tracking. Yes, the Thai Postal site will only verify that they processed your package but the receiving country will have a record of the package being delivered (some via their websites some not).

Oh and the registered 55 baht option is a commplete waste of money , they give you a tracking number but when you enter this in to the Thai post office track and trace all it confirms is that it was posted or received at the post office.