Never ending Confusion

Hi guys,

I am not sure whether to post this in the teaching in Thailand forum or here as the issue moves from visa to work permit. It will probably get more responses here but mods, feel free to move it.

Got my non-O extension for marriage last month. I have been offered a job as a teacher and have now been informed that my extension start date must match with my work permit. I tried to explain that this is the case with non-B but not with Non-O. However they were adamant that these are the new rules.

Has any one heard of such a rule?

They have given me a short term work permit until the times the work permit and visa match up. I don't see how this is possible but nevertheless I let them proceed.

They then informed me that they are required to contact immigration to tell them that they have issued me with a work permit to teach. I know they do this for non-B but never heard it applied to non-O. I don't want to have to renew my visa next year and then be asked for degree certificate, transcript, letter from university, lesson plans, ect like they are doing with Non-B.

Has anyone heard of any thing like this? Is it new or are they confusing the procedure for non-o and Non-B?

Many thanks for any input. wai.gif

whistling.gif if you are employed you need a work permit to legally work.

That fact has nothing to do with what visa you have.

The fact that you have a job as a teacher, and are being paid for doing that job means you must have a work permit.

What type of visa you have is irrelevant to the work permit.

I agree. I need a work permit, I know that.

However they are now saying that the work permit and visa must run alongside each other date wise. So for example another guy at this school is having the same issues. His non-o extension isn't up for another 2 months and they have told him he must renew it Now so the dates for the issue of his permit match that of the validity of his extension. He has explained that it isn't possible and he has to wait until his extension expires before he renews. They have also given him a short term work permit until the date of his extension renewal, after which his new extension date and work permit date will run together.

I have never heard this requirement before, have you?

Also, is it now the case where the labor office is required to inform immigration that they have issued a work permit to a non-O holder? Once again I have never heard about this, have any of you? wai.gif

A work permit according to the rules is not tied to a permit to stay when issued. You should get a one year work permit.

However their are a few provincial offices that don't follow or don't know the rules.

What province is this?

A work permit according to the rules is not tied to a permit to stay when issued. You should get a one year work permit.

However their are a few provincial offices that don't follow or don't know the rules.

What province is this?

Uttaradit.

Do you have any documents in Thai explaining the rules?

Also, have you heard of them (labor office) being required to inform immigration that they have issued you with a work permit? I thought these two departments were totally separate. wai.gif

What province is this?

I am assuming the WP is tied to the provisional teaching licence because this morning one teacher had only 3 months left on his PTL and so they only issued a 3 month WP.

Do you know udonjoe, if the WP duration is dependent on the length of the PTL?

I know this is outside your expertise but there is no harm in asking? Thanks. wai.gif

Edited by thequietman

Hi all.

Going back to Oz on Thursday for a month or so.

I have an no 'O' retirement visa which is due for renewal on the 11/6/15.

As I understand it I have to have the renewal before I leave Thailand. and a re-entry permit.

My question is can I go to Immigration in Chaeng Watthana tomorrow,Tuesday and get it done then and there?

Any fee invelved, silly question I guess and if so how much.

Thanks in advance to the brains trust.

Hi all.

Going back to Oz on Thursday for a month or so.

I have an no 'O' retirement visa which is due for renewal on the 11/6/15.

As I understand it I have to have the renewal before I leave Thailand. and a re-entry permit.

My question is can I go to Immigration in Chaeng Watthana tomorrow,Tuesday and get it done then and there?

Any fee invelved, silly question I guess and if so how much.

Thanks in advance to the brains trust.

I assume you are on an extension of stay not a visa.

You don't have to renew your extension before you leave. If you are only leaving for a month you will be back in time to renew it. The earliest you can apply for your new extension is 45 days before it ends.

You do need to get a single re-entry permit. that would give you an entry up to the 11th of June. You can get a re-entry permit at both airports in Bangkok 24 hours a day.