Thai couple freeze daughter's body

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:-A Thai couple have decided to have the body of their beloved daughter frozen in a hope that a future medical technology may be able to revive her.

Born in February 2012, the girl or Matheryn Naovaratpon had suffered from brain cancer. Despite chemotherapy and several surgeries, the cancer progressed to a point that her parents realized that it would not be possible for her to beat the cancer with the world’s current medical technologies.

“So, we contact the US-based Alcor Life Extension Foundation,” her father, Dr Sahatorn, says.

Speaking to Matichon Online, Sahatorn says the body of his daughter is now kept in freezing temperature under the care of the foundation. Established in 1972, the foundation offers to use very cold temperature in preserving human life with the intent of restoring good health when technology becomes available to do so. The freezing services are provided only after the legal death.

According to some reports, Sahatorn has given the foundation about Bt7million in exchange for the services. Matheryn is now the world’s youngest person to be cryogenically frozen.

“It’s like she is hibernating. We may visit her sometimes,” Sahatorn says.

He has reacted coolly to comments that, according to local superstitious beliefs, the freezing of a body will only trap a soul inside the body making it impossible for one’s soul to step forward into the next life.

“I understand and appreciate the diverse comments. Such beliefs may exist but I don’t think they are already proven. I am looking at this from a modern perspective,” the father says.

• Like 1

I have no idea what it must feel like to lose a child, especially one so young. I suspect that many of us with kids have a 'there but for the Grace of God's moment when reading things like this. I fear its quackery, freezing as previously stated fundamentally alters cell structure, permanently damaging them. An interesting Fresh Air program on NPR was discussing extreme medicine, and as the Doctor being interviewed when describing a woman who survived 90 minutes in an ice covered river said: "the extreme temperature slows the dying process, but can't do anything once death is complete"

So for these poor people I fear they are throwing their money away for a hopeless cause. Then again nobody who hasn't gone through the experience of losing a child has any right to comment, none of us know what we might do!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

The freezing services are provided only after the legal death.

Was she legally dead or did they freeze her before she died?

Despite chemotherapy and several surgeries, the cancer progressed to a point that her parents realized that it would not be possible for her to beat the cancer with the world’s current medical technologies.

Where is the body of the frozen child being held? I wonder how they moved her after death? And what procedures were put into place prior to that so that the body was maintained prior to the freezing? All good questions.

"under the care of the foundation" could mean about anything.

It takes some significant and specialized technology to hold a body in a state of preservation. I would certainly have my doubts that this is available in Thailand.

Edited by bluebluewater

He has reacted coolly to comments that, according to local superstitious beliefs, the freezing of a body will only trap a soul inside the body making it impossible for one’s soul to step forward into the next life.

“I understand and appreciate the diverse comments. Such beliefs may exist but I don’t think they are already proven. I am looking at this from a modern perspective,” the father says.
I fully sympathize with their loss, but it sounds like they are dimissing one silly superstition only to embrace another.
Also, I might be a dense person who needs to have the obvious stated, but it sure seems like that should have mentioned that the girl did in fact die before they froze her, especially if they use the word "revive."
(Yes, I read the line "The freezing services are provided only after the legal death," but that was several paragraphs down.)

My ex-wife had a smile that would melt your heart, and a cold glare that would freeze you solid on the spot.

Come to think of it my current wife is the same, must be a Thai thing. biggrin.png

You've reminded me of one of my favourite quotes. It was Mitterand's description of Margaret Thatcher as "having the mouth of Marilyn Monroe and they eyes of Caligula" [though I've seen Stalin used in place of Caligula also].

Where is the body of the frozen child being held? I wonder how they moved her after death? And what procedures were put into place prior to that so that the body was maintained prior to the freezing? All good questions.

"under the care of the foundation" could mean about anything.

It takes some significant and specialized technology to hold a body in a state of preservation. I would certainly have my doubts that this is available in Thailand.

There is a full article online actually, but I can't seem to find it. The parents are actually doctors here in Thailand too.

They were going to send her to the US when she was near her death, but her condition deteriorated quicker than expected. The team flew here and entire procedure was carried out in Bangkok, its pretty graphic actually.

Her body was then transfer to the US. I remember her brain was removed and froze separated. All her blood was pumped out of the body and replaced with medical grade some liquid (i forgot what it was, silicone?

It was a very good read and you could really feel the pain of the parents. They have also signed up to be frozen when they die.

I fully sympathize with their loss, but it sounds like they are dimissing one silly superstition only to embrace another.
Also, I might be a dense person who needs to have the obvious stated, but it sure seems like that should have mentioned that the girl did in fact die before they froze her, especially if they use the word "revive."
(Yes, I read the line "The freezing services are provided only after the legal death," but that was several paragraphs down.)

I don't think reviving is a superstition from how far medical studies have gone. We can 3d print cells! Grow artificial body parts and what not. It may take another couple hundred years before we can revive someone, I doubt we will ever be able to restore their memories unless in the future our brains are plugged into a computer which can be backed up. Human cloning is already possible, only limited by the law.

I hope you don't think I'm crazy.

It would have been cheaper to have her body embalmed and placed in a glass case at home. Visitation would have been cheaper as well and much more convenient. They're not going to see her alive in their lifetimes anyway.

Edited by MaxYakov

Having lived in AZ for years where this company is based in Scottsdale, and seeing the controversy surrounding them and their practices for years, it's sad to see they are peddling this nonsense overseas now.