Two taxi drivers banned for life from Suvarnabhumi

Thaivisa News

Banning for "life" is a little excessive. The Japanese guy "a long time Bangkok resident" must have pull to get this kind of response. The Thai taxi authorities should call a strike to support their colleagues. A heavy fine and suspension would have been sufficient. If a lifetime ban is called for in any case it should be three strikes you're out not two.

So, with the many problems facing Thailand and tourist industry with murders, robberies, fights with tourist is something still be be fixed. But, upon arrival a smooth and warm welcome to the cash cows should be enforced.

I'm assuming you haven't been to Changi airport in Singapore, as I lived and worked there for years. In my profession I traveled many times to Japan as part of my work for weeks I had to bring a wardrobe with many bags, I never had a taxi driver not use his or her meter or charge extra for luggage because those Asia's live in the 21st century and work in the customer service business to earn their living as do the Japanese Taxi drivers who wear white gloves and no smell of whiskey on their breath or any rudeness.

So, it seems your a bleeding heart whom believes that like the farmers ( former beach chair vendors) , turn hustler taxi drivers should strike and be given a smack on the hand when upon arrival to the LOS to begin the horrible experience tourist will experience with their hard earn cash as their begin a holiday this way. Strike 3 began for them the moment they refused to provide a regulated service.

So, tell us when as a resident here of 5 ( 17 years traveling South- East Asia) , should I tell tourist what to expect here on holiday, not even getting into the Tuk-Tuk guys behavior at the tourist areas, Phuket, Pattaya etc..

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent news, irrespective of whether this is actually a lifetime ban or not it will cause the two drivers concerned some inconvenience and worry, that too me makes it worth it.

Now a few dozen more bans and the message might get through, the publicity alone will ensure there is less of an argument when the passenger requests that the meter is used.

"Aki posted that 11 friends of him arrived at the airport at 6 pm on April 14. He said they used taxis from the airport taxi kiosk. The two taxi drivers refused to use their meter and took away the queue tickets."

Aki and 11 friends get into 2 taxis. Am I missing something or was that a tight squeeze given that these 11 friends also had luggage?

They do have mini vans out there......

Same thing happened to me last year. Got in taxi and driver immediately said 750 baht. Normally with the meter it is around 250 baht for my destination. I got out of the car and then got another taxi. At least I knew better than to pay that amount but how many unsuspecting tourists get charged this 750 fixed price?

As for taxis in other areas- flat rate of 200 in chiang rai airport. If I recall, the flat rate is 700 in krabi - airport to nong thale. My taxis in that area this year cost more than my flight. It's not a destination I'd recommend to friends simply b/c ground transportation is too expensive.

Banning for "life" is a little excessive. The Japanese guy "a long time Bangkok resident" must have pull to get this kind of response. The Thai taxi authorities should call a strike to support their colleagues. A heavy fine and suspension would have been sufficient. If a lifetime ban is called for in any case it should be three strikes you're out not two.

What, are you playing baseball? Who makes these rules--yes, I know, whoever has the power. The Japanese knew soomeone who did.

Banned for life for charging over what the meter would be but you can run around nude and it only costs 100 baht.

Banned from Swampy, the primary tourist entry point to Thailand. Seems a fitting punishment for overcharging tourists if you are serious about repairing tourist relations. Should create similar punishments for the jet-ski boys, the Tuk-Tuk mafia, the hustler bars, etc.

Up here in Chiang Rai, we got meter-taxis introduced about 2 years ago. Some farang came to visit me recently, and were overcharged - more than meter indicated. Driver said something about extra baggage and 'outside district' (the destination is 3 miles from city center). Later that day, I spoke with a taxi driver about it, who is a friend and speaks fluent English. He started by repeating the reason the taxi driver gave and said something about different districts, etc. The whole time he was telling me this, he was smiling as if good cheer bolstered his logic. It didn't. I kept mentioning how taxi meters work by gauging both time and distance. He finally agreed, the meter doesn't know when the vehicle passes from one part of town to another, and the taxi driver from earlier was simply gouging the price.

You are absolutely wrong. These taxi drivers know the rules but continue to violate them and, consequently, do give Thailannd the reputation of being a "rip-off" country.

It's called "sending a message."

It would have been much easier if he was "sending a message" to his japanese friends not to take a taxi that refuses to put on the meter.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It's called "sending a message."

It would have been much easier if he was "sending a message" to his japanese friends not to take a taxi that refuses to put on the meter.

Why would you support rule breakers? They know the rules. Recently they were complaining about the fare rates now they are ripping people off and you want to protect them???? I suggest you get to grips with reality

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In my opinion, a very harsh regulatory action to be taken should suffice. Banned for life is kind of too inhumane.

Are you sharing their takings? If not get a grip of reality

All this bashing about Thailand being sloppy and never enforce any rules. And now when they finally do then aint good enough either. Sigh

"Aki posted that 11 friends of him arrived at the airport at 6 pm on April 14. He said they used taxis from the airport taxi kiosk. The two taxi drivers refused to use their meter and took away the queue tickets."

Aki and 11 friends get into 2 taxis. Am I missing something or was that a tight squeeze given that these 11 friends also had luggage?

I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like 6 tourists went in one taxi for 600 baht. 100 baht per, if I understand the article correctly.

Jeeeeze....now the 2 taxi cab drivers will be out and about amongst the rest of the Bangkok cab drivers and subjecting you and I all the more so to their style of lucrative over charging shenanigans

They are probably exiled to Sukhumvite Road area where all the more unknowing tourists can be Flim Flammed by the 2 of them.

Better they stayed at the Airport.

Thanks Japan Guy....lol

Cheers

Up here in Chiang Rai, we got meter-taxis introduced about 2 years ago. Some farang came to visit me recently, and were overcharged - more than meter indicated. Driver said something about extra baggage and 'outside district' (the destination is 3 miles from city center). Later that day, I spoke with a taxi driver about it, who is a friend and speaks fluent English. He started by repeating the reason the taxi driver gave and said something about different districts, etc. The whole time he was telling me this, he was smiling as if good cheer bolstered his logic. It didn't. I kept mentioning how taxi meters work by gauging both time and distance. He finally agreed, the meter doesn't know when the vehicle passes from one part of town to another, and the taxi driver from earlier was simply gouging the price.

Upcountry, fare according to meter applies only as long as you are inside meuang district.

Outside meuang district it is 10 B/km, which turns out to be about 50% more than the meter.

They will have the meter running, but price is calculated by the distance shown on the meter, not by the fare shown on the meter.

Chiang Rai airport taxis also try to add 40 Baht airport fee, like the 50 Baht in Bangkok.

Other provinces may not use the meter during the night (Korat), may try to get more than 10B per km (Buriram), may try not to use meter at all (Khonkaen, Sarakham), or my just follow the rules :) (Ubol).

Why? They have not lost their taxi licence just cannot collect passengers from the airport queue.. They broke the rules!

Two brown envelopes to Dalat Assawet and the two banned taxi scumbags i back in business at the airport again, welcome to Thailand where cash is king.

Edited by bander

Two brown envelopes to Dalat Assawet and the two banned taxi scumbags i back in business at the airport again, welcome to Thailand where cash is king.

Name a country where cash isn't king?

where do you live?? i do not think in bangkok because if you go out at night in bkk and sometimes during the day the taxi drivers will not take you any where on the metre they want a much larger price and refuse to take you if you dont pay and try to get physical if you say you will report them, i think the punishment is justified, these last 4 days i have been refused service on 10 occaisions because i insist on the metre, if more people told authorities of the one who charge flat rates or refuse to use the metre it may help to stop the practice.

Had this happen to me Friday night, got in the Taxi at Swampy, told the driver name of hotel, located on the Suk near Phra Khanong, told me no meter, 500B all in, after travelling for over 18 hours and little sleep you do not was to argue.

I was wondering, do their meters show a full audit trail so any driver picking up at swampy could be randomly checked to see if the used their meters???

Had another on last night at Asok, taxis parked up wanted 200B, got in one that that was moving, me and "Thai Friend" the meter was on, said to friend in Thai "100B" by the time she translated to me he had switched off the meter.

On the rare occasions that it's happened to me at the airport if they refuse to turn the meter on I shout 'STOP', open the window and grab the gear knob/handbrake, however, haven't had it happen for quite a long time. On principle I'll walk back to the taxi queue with my bags because no taxi driver is dictating to me about meter use.

The Thai taxi authorities should call a strike to support their colleagues

So, they should support their colleagues right to flaunt the meter law and rip off tourists to Thailand? Are you Thai?

They aren't being banned from being taxi drivers, only banned from picking up passengers at Suvarnabhumi airport. They weren't even fined or suspended. Let them rip people off somewhere else besides the gateway (first impressions last) to Thailand. They can still bring passenger to the airport or they can go abuse passengers at Don Muang Airport. Hardly a punishment.

Seen that same sh*t eating grin from several low life thieves here. I'm never fooled by it. In fact, it is like a poker player's "tell," a nervous tick that gives their lies away. When I see it, I know there's BS flying around.

What other job can you cheat and steal, get caught ... and then keep your job?

They are out of the Ariport but still have their hack license

They should be banned from driving a taxi

Cheats are not needed

police, army, navy, politician, teacher, monk...

So not paying attention twice is necessary rather than putting your finger up to the authorities the once?

No, one serious warning should suffice.

I expect they can be replaced and likely with more honest drivers.