Two taxi drivers banned for life from Suvarnabhumi

Thaivisa News

Samut Prakan:-The Suvarnabhumi Airport has banned two taxi drivers from taking up passengers from the airport ever again after they were found charging flat rates on Japanese tourists instead of using their meter.

Dalat Assawet, deputy director of the airport, announced the ban against Nirut Phosri and Phanomyong Kaewamart on Sunday.

She took the action after a long-time Bangkok resident, Koki Aki, posted on his Facebook wall that Suvarnabhumi International Airport taxi drivers did it again by charging his Japanese friends Bt600 and Bt750, excluding expressway fees instead of using their meter.

Aki posted that 11 friends of him arrived at the airport at 6 pm on April 14. He said they used taxis from the airport taxi kiosk. The two taxi drivers refused to use their meter and took away the queue tickets.

Aki called on the airport and the government to eliminate taxi drivers with unfair practice because it would affect the reputation of Thailand.

In January, Aki made headlines after he posted on his Facebook wall that a taxi driver tried to charge him Bt700 for driving him from the Suvarnabhumi airport to Saphan Kwai instead of using a meter. The taxi driver was later banned from the airport.

In the latest case, Dalat said an investigation found that Nirut charged 6 Japanese tourist Bt600 and Phanomyong charged the other five tourists Bt550. The charges include express fees, she added.

The two taxi drivers explained that they opted to collect the flat rates because the tourists had a lot of belongings, which added a lot of weight to their taxis.

Dalat said the refusal to use meter is illegal and it also violated the rules of the airport, so the two drivers will never be allowed to queue up at the kiosk again.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banning for "life" is a little excessive. The Japanese guy "a long time Bangkok resident" must have pull to get this kind of response. The Thai taxi authorities should call a strike to support their colleagues. A heavy fine and suspension would have been sufficient. If a lifetime ban is called for in any case it should be three strikes you're out not two.

Banning for "life" is a little excessive. The Japanese guy "a long time Bangkok resident" must have pull to get this kind of response. The Thai taxi authorities should call a strike to support their colleagues. A heavy fine and suspension would have been sufficient. If a lifetime ban is called for in any case it should be three strikes you're out not two.

It's called "sending a message."

It's called "sending a message."

Indeed.. if there are no harsh measures.. nothing will happen.

They have a meter. Turn it on. It isn't difficult.

Aki called on the airport and the government to eliminate taxi drivers with unfair practice because it would affect the reputation of Thailand.

Ah, yes, the shame culture of the east, versus the guilt culture of the west.

Wow. Japan is part of the West ? That's one geography lesson I must have missed.

Banning for "life" is a little excessive.

Dont be so silly !

Anybody who has spent more than 5 minutes in this country knows that these two drivers can either change their names, obtain new permits, rent a different cab or borrow a friends cab and be back at the airport before you can say "amazing thailand"

This announcement of a lifetime ban is for public consumption only and to placate the worries of tourists who quite rightly fear being overcharged and cheated every time they take an airport taxi.

What goes on behind the scenes in this country where appearance and superficiality trump justice and morality every time is quite a different matter.

"Aki posted that 11 friends of him arrived at the airport at 6 pm on April 14. He said they used taxis from the airport taxi kiosk. The two taxi drivers refused to use their meter and took away the queue tickets."

Aki and 11 friends get into 2 taxis. Am I missing something or was that a tight squeeze given that these 11 friends also had luggage?

Banning for "life" is a little excessive. The Japanese guy "a long time Bangkok resident" must have pull to get this kind of response. The Thai taxi authorities should call a strike to support their colleagues. A heavy fine and suspension would have been sufficient. If a lifetime ban is called for in any case it should be three strikes you're out not two

Absolutely right too.... Life long ban might stop the other idiots doing it.

Had this happen to me Friday night, got in the Taxi at Swampy, told the driver name of hotel, located on the Suk near Phra Khanong, told me no meter, 500B all in, after travelling for over 18 hours and little sleep you do not was to argue.

I was wondering, do their meters show a full audit trail so any driver picking up at swampy could be randomly checked to see if the used their meters???

Had another on last night at Asok, taxis parked up wanted 200B, got in one that that was moving, me and "Thai Friend" the meter was on, said to friend in Thai "100B" by the time she translated to me he had switched off the meter.

They will just wait awhile and maybe change their names and lic numbers. Back to ripping off airport customers in a few months.

I am sure they are ripping off customers as we type these messages, dishonest to the bone ....

They should pull their taxi license.

The last time I used a taxi from Swampy to Bangkok, the guy hit us for a flat rate of 700 baht and then tipped himself 100 baht at the destination. Ordinarily I would have stomped my feet and raised a ruckus but we had had a rough flight and at that point I was going to quibble over the equivalent of 6 or 7 $. It's really a shame that tourists have to go through this kind of nonsense right out of the gate after arriving here.

Nowadays, we simply get a driver direct from our house down south to the airport and back. Flat fee, quick, easy transport of us and our stuff, we get there at a decent hour, and no having to deal with the cost of a night in Bangkok or the taxi mafia there. I tip generously; the wais I receive are quite deep. smile.png

Edited by roxnadz

"The two taxi drivers explained that they opted to collect the flat rates because the tourists had a lot of belongings, which added a lot of weight to their taxis."

You opted to act in an illegal manner?

There is only one option and that is the meter.

Since when has extorting money in this manner been an "option"?

Ha, ha, ha, yeah I know.........

Had this happen to me Friday night, got in the Taxi at Swampy, told the driver name of hotel, located on the Suk near Phra Khanong, told me no meter, 500B all in, after travelling for over 18 hours and little sleep you do not was to argue.

If I hadn't slept for 18 hours the last bloody thing he'd be doing is pissing me off even more!

I don't know why this never happens to me.

I don't speak Thai that well, I simply ask them to put meter on, tell them Expressway and give them the cash for the tolls.

Never failed from Swampy since they opened it.

Edited by Chicog

What other job can you cheat and steal, get caught ... and then keep your job?

They are out of the Ariport but still have their hack license

They should be banned from driving a taxi

Cheats are not needed

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Its about time they started mailing this as&$^#

One tried it on me and I told him in Thai turn the meter on and I will pay the tolls

He tried it again and I said Take me back to the airport He then relented.

I bet if you count the amount of times these guys have pulled this scam, we are already at strike 1,000. Why do we always have to be lenient with these scamming taxi bastards. I think the airport did a great thing here, and hopefully it will serve as a warning to the rest. A fine however, will not help anything, and further, I do not believe the airport is authorized to issue fines. They can however decide who is or is not allowed to enter their premises. Personally I think the police should be involved, and these criminal drivers should be put in prison when caught.

I would however like to know how this ban is enforced. Is someone at the kiosk checking for banned taxi drivers?

The last time I used a taxi from Swampy to Bangkok, the guy hit us for a flat rate of 700 baht and then tipped himself 100 baht at the destination. Ordinarily I would have stomped my feet and raised a ruckus but we had had a rough flight and at that point I was going to quibble over the equivalent of 6 or 7 $. It's really a shame that tourists have to go through this kind of nonsense right out of the gate after arriving here.

Nowadays, we simply get a driver direct from our house down south to the airport and back. Flat fee, quick, easy transport of us and our stuff, we get there at a decent hour, and no having to deal with the cost of a night in Bangkok or the taxi mafia there. I tip generously; the wais I receive are quite deep. smile.png

It's people like you that make the taxi drivers not want to use their meter and follow the law, because they think they can get away with it. I'm sure you tip as well .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Dont talk rubbish. The taxi drivers know the rules. If they want to flaunt them they can suffer the penelties