Thailand aims to increase number of Russian tourists

webfact

BANGKOK, 20 April 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Tourism and Sports is urgently stimulating the Russian tourist market following a drop in Russia tourist arrivals in 2014.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkan Watthanawarangkun said the number of Russian tourists in 2014 was decreasing mainly due to Russia’s economic problem as well as a lack of direct flights from Russia to Thailand. 1.6 Russian tourists traveled to Thailand last year, decreasing by 8% compared to 2013, Ms Kobkan said.

The ministry is working toward a target 1-1.2 million Russian tourists in Thailand this year. Most Russian tourists visiting Thailand have purchasing power and spend more than 4,800 baht/day/person. Their average stay period is 15 days, longer than those from Europe.

The minister added that Russia was interested in setting up a Thai-Russian cultural center to commemorate the 120th anniversary of the Thai-Russia relations.

The Ministry of Culture has set plans to establish a sister-city relationship with major cities in Russia in the hope to draw Russian tourists to visit smaller provinces or the 12 alternative destinations selected by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

Thailand and Russia have signed bilateral agreements on tourism promotion. Tourism experts will be exchanged and Thai tourism personnel will be helped to study Russian.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-20 footer_n.gif

With the ruble down so low unless they drastically reduce the fare to fly here and then offer 50% discounts on hotels to Russians and huge discounts for parks and entertainment then nothing TAT does will affect the amount of Russian tourists traveling here.

A cultural center would be nice but definitely not an incentive to fly to Thailand.

Their other claims about Russians spending more may or may not be true in the past but things are different now and Thailand needs to look at Russia's economy also

A Thai learning Russian:

Sawadeekaski

Aroyski

Jaideeski

A Russian speaking Thai:

Nyet, krap

Hey you! krap

w00t.gif

TAT, give it up. Their currency will get lower, miracle of miracles Thai baht will go higher, and WW3 is approaching. coffee1.gif

A lot Russians are actually flying in. The Russian currency is lower but airlines are adjusting now fares such as Qatar Airways and Emirates that sell return tickets for below 14,000 Baht to Bangkok and below 15,000 Baht to Phuket. A lot of Thai hotels are lowering Room Rates for the Russian market as well. The Russians will still be the Number 2 inbound tourists to Thailand after the Chinese.

Of course the currency plays a major role but lookign at the Euro market I believe the inbound numbers from the EU will hit Samui and Phuket hard this year.

post-55455-0-13838500-1429508808_thumb.j

russia and china are the new friends of thailand . if you listen and read what it's write, the best tourist for thailand . wonderfull . soon , they ll banned the européan tourists . why not all the expats too ?? cause expats don't spend 4800 bath a day .... expats don't buy houses , cars , motorbikes , don't go eat outside , and and and ...... devaluation of the bath , then européans tourist will come back , and real thainess too , finish with the double prices ( begin with the nationals parks per ex... )

With the ruble down so low unless they drastically reduce the fare to fly here and then offer 50% discounts on hotels to Russians and huge discounts for parks and entertainment then nothing TAT does will affect the amount of Russian tourists traveling here.

A cultural center would be nice but definitely not an incentive to fly to Thailand.

Their other claims about Russians spending more may or may not be true in the past but things are different now and Thailand needs to look at Russia's economy also

During the last 2 months Russian Ruble has recovered more than 50% of the lost value and continues to recover very rapidly.

Exchange%20Rate.JPG

Congratulations, Thailand - for your ability to be worldwide the best when it comes to shooting yourself in the own foot all the time, for your ability to bet on the wrong horse all the time, and for your ability to cause problems in areas where there were no problems before. thumbsup.gif

Soon to be triple tier pricing.

A beer for Russian 20 baht, For Thai 25 baht. For Other farang not Russian, sorry but you must now pay 200 baht.

My experience in South Hainan, China , last year, which caters for 1000s of Russians, is that prices were three or four times what they would be in inland towns and cities.

Hard to believe, but I was told an ice cream would cost me 100RMB ($20.00). Sea food must have been gold plated judging by the menu prices.

russia and china are the new friends of thailand . if you listen and read what it's write, the best tourist for thailand . wonderfull . soon , they ll banned the européan tourists . why not all the expats too ?? cause expats don't spend 4800 bath a day .... expats don't buy houses , cars , motorbikes , don't go eat outside , and and and ...... devaluation of the bath , then européans tourist will come back , and real thainess too , finish with the double prices ( begin with the nationals parks per ex... )

As long as your not bitter-----that's the main thing...........cheesy.gif

"1.6 Russian tourists traveled to Thailand last year"

Next time, please allow the rest .4 of him to come here also...............

I don't agree with your posts often. However, if they don't bring in more democracy lecturers and economical advisers from Greece- it's OK with me.

A Thai learning Russian:

Sawadeekaski

Aroyski

Jaideeski

A Russian speaking Thai:

Nyet, krap

Hey you! krap

w00t.gif

TAT, give it up. Their currency will get lower, miracle of miracles Thai baht will go higher, and WW3 is approaching. coffee1.gif

Reminds me of a song "Dream the Impossible Dream" Wish I could remember the name of the singer. Getting old sucks.

No problem Sec44 to the rescue.

Effect immediately the exchange rate Thai ฿ to Ruble has been quadrupled. All banks have be instructed to comply....what world banking wont comply? Damm those foreigners, off with their heads immediately.

....i said I would execute them, people. Line up will you

During the last 2 months Russian Ruble has recovered more than 50% of the lost value and continues to recover very rapidly.

Exchange%20Rate.JPG

It doesn't matter what the Rouble does against the dollar when you are changing money into Thai Baht.

Against the Baht the Rouble has moved from 0.05 to 0.06. Not a great reason to get carried away.

<QUOTE>

Most Russian tourists visiting Thailand have purchasing power and spend more than 4,800 baht/day/person. Their average stay period is 15 days, longer than those from Europe.

</QUOTE>

I wonder where they spend 4,800 day/person.

Does anyone know?

They probably mean 4,800 for 15 days -> 320 / day (This is more like it)

and just on cue this article comes to the rescue:

Thailand '3rd most popular destination' for Russian presidential bodyguards

there must be millions of them bodyguards, let's tap that market like there's no tomorrow

I love it when a plan comes together!

Exchange%20Rate.JPG

It doesn't matter what the Rouble does against the dollar when you are changing money into Thai Baht.

Against the Baht the Rouble has moved from 0.05 to 0.06. Not a great reason to get carried away.

True, but you are still mistaken. 1 year ago baht and rouble were on par, but by December last year 1 baht = 2 rouble. Today 1 baht = 1.6 rouble. Rouble HAS recovered somewhat. Info from XE Currency exchange. Edited by jerojero

She just got the order from Prajut san.

I order you more Russians ! Yes pappie !

I will personally welcome them. They all will get a smile.

I think snobby madame needs some on the job training as a trainee in Patthaya and Phuket and after that she can get some more training as a maid in my humble stumble.

Perhaps the banning of media exposing Russian criminals being rounded up will encourage more to come and try their luck. Surely this will help Russian tourism numbers for Thailand. Course, the immediate ban on such media may very well increase other like minded 'tourists' visiting Thailand and spending 4.8K Bhat a day...cheesy.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

It is easy!

Just change the Ruble/Baht exchange rate back to 1-1!

Hmm, I guess Putin's taking of the Crimea was an attempt to replace Thailand with the Crimea!

As soon as oil returns to $150 a barrel the Russians will return!

Thai Immigration's goals and policies are a disaster. They change back and forth randomly and without warning, re: which nationalities they target as 'good' or 'bad' tourists, and it's all emotionally driven depending on the politics of that second. Childish, really.

Edited by No Apologist

Soon to be triple tier pricing.

A beer for Russian 20 baht, For Thai 25 baht. For Other farang not Russian, sorry but you must now pay 200 baht.

It will not work.

They spend their entire vacation sitting in their hotel room drinking vodka.

Cheap Charliskies!