Contact details for NMD Medical at Bangkok Rayong Hospital

mark131v

A while ago I had a Norwegian NMD offshore medical done at BPH which was a bit of a rip off as they only gave out a 1 year certificate which is something I have heard happens regulary, lots of people mentioned that you can get this done at Bangkok Rayong through a Dr ? Newin and that he is reasonable and routinely gives out the correct 2 year medical

I have had a look on the Hospital website but cannot find a Dr Newin which maybe through spelling or what not so I was wondering if anybody has a contact number or email for the guy, any recent updates on getting a NMD medical at Bangkok Rayong such as pricing time needed etc would also be really useful....cheers guys

Edited by mark131v

Hi

This happened to me before at the BPH.

One time I got 1 year and the next year I got 2 years. Our HSEQ on our vessel told me that it was illegal for them to issue 1 year NMD's He was even saying that mine wasn't valid because it was issued for only 1 year and should be 2.

I just think it was the hospital pulling a scam because that's what they do here.

Make an appointment via email to [email protected] ask them for a 2 year one and see what the reply is.

NMD Norwegian Maritime Directorate medical check up with either Dr Prasan Stianrapapongs or Dr Worathorn Muninthorn at BPH Pattaya.

Hi Misterphil, I had exactly the same as you before mate and you are right I too reckon it is a complete scam, I am now looking at paying another B8000 and wasting my time for something that should not be necessary for another 12 months

I have taken your advice and sent an email in stipulating I want to use only Doctor Worathorn as it was the other guy last time that issued the 1 year one even after I queried him about it, I have also asked for confirmation that it is valid for 2 years

Personally I would rather just not use BPH as I hate being blatantly ripped off so if anyone has any info on Bangkok Rayong and Dr Newin it would be appreciated as I would much rather spend my money there and give them a chance

Hi Misterphil, I had exactly the same as you before mate and you are right I too reckon it is a complete scam, I am now looking at paying another B8000 and wasting my time for something that should not be necessary for another 12 months

I have taken your advice and sent an email in stipulating I want to use only Doctor Worathorn as it was the other guy last time that issued the 1 year one even after I queried him about it, I have also asked for confirmation that it is valid for 2 years

Personally I would rather just not use BPH as I hate being blatantly ripped off so if anyone has any info on Bangkok Rayong and Dr Newin it would be appreciated as I would much rather spend my money there and give them a chance

I just checked my old certs and Worathorn issued a 1 year and Prasin issued a 2 year. See attached.

I still think they're all a bunch of robbing Ba£$$rds though.

I've commented on here many times about the cost expats pay at this hospital.

post-82234-0-62972000-1429604613_thumb.j

post-82234-0-96276900-1429604628_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hi

One time I got 1 year and the next year I got 2 years. Our HSEQ on our vessel told me that it was illegal for them to issue 1 year NMD's He was even saying that mine wasn't valid because it was issued for only 1 year and should be 2.

I just think it was the hospital pulling a scam because that's what they do here.

Make an appointment via email to [email protected] ask them for a 2 year one and see what the reply is.

NMD Norwegian Maritime Directorate medical check up with either Dr Prasan Stianrapapongs or Dr Worathorn Muninthorn at BPH Pattaya.

I stand to be corrected of course but think your HSEQ is wrong as well, if memory serves, a 2 year certifcate is only applicable if your not under 18 or over 50, once you hit the big 50, they are entitled to limited your medical certificate to 1 year.

Further as regards "legality" as the accredited doctor, they can limit you anyway they see fit on your medical certificate for offshore if there is reason, although not under the NMD rules, I have know guys who have had their certificates limited to 3 months and 6 months, and the doctor wanted to see them again due to underlying conditions and these were not hosptials in Thailand BTW.

so if you get issued a 1 year certificate, you need to ask them why, there may be a very valid reason

Hi

I stand to be corrected of course but think your HSEQ is wrong as well, if memory serves, a 2 year certifcate is only applicable if your not under 18 or over 50, once you hit the big 50, they are entitled to limited your medical certificate to 1 year.

Further as regards "legality" as the accredited doctor, they can limit you anyway they see fit on your medical certificate for offshore if there is reason, although not under the NMD rules, I have know guys who have had their certificates limited to 3 months and 6 months, and the doctor wanted to see them again due to underlying conditions and these were not hosptials in Thailand BTW.

so if you get issued a 1 year certificate, you need to ask them why, there may be a very valid reason

Hi Soutpeel the ruling on getting a 1 year certificate when you turn 50 was changed last year, now everybody other than if you are under 18 gets a 2 year ticket

You are correct about the Doctor being able to downgrade the ticket and that is where the confusion comes in especially with BPH in that someone having a minor ailment or minor raised level should not usually be used as an excuse to cut the validity of the medical down, in essence it is just there to see if a person meets the minimum standards to be safe to work on a Norwegian flagged vessel and not actually a way to get GP work off the person or use it as another income stream

I have attached the NMD Medical which is supposedly the same everywhere in the world I have also attached the link to the NMD which also has a link to use if you think the Doctor is incorrect or using the medical inappropriately

http://www.sjofartsdir.no/en/forms/medical-examination/

http://www.sjofartsdir.no/en/legislation/regulations/medical-examination-of-employees-on-Norwegian-ships-and-mobile-offshore-units/

There is a pdf you can download in the 2nd link which goes into depth with the medical but it basically says:

• LIMITED MEDICAL CERTIFICATE o There is a risk of adverse effects, but these only develop over time, hence work in near-coastal waters may be acceptable.

• TIME-LIMITED MEDICAL CERTIFICATE o Surveillance of medication effectiveness or side effects is needed more frequently than the full duration of a medical certificate.

• UNLIMITED MEDICAL CERTIFICATE o No impairing side effects, no requirements for regular surveillance and no risk of life-threatening consequences if the medication is not taken.

If you think that the Doctor is wrong and want to appeal you can do so by following the next link or using the attached email address: mailto:[email protected]

http://www.sjofartsdir.no/en/seafarers/seamens-doctors/appellate-body-for-health-matters/

I really don't like the fact BPH appears to be blatantly using the system to mess about or rip blokes off.....

Thanks for that, so there is the solution then, if someone disagrees with the certificate being issued for 12 months under the NMD requirements one needs to appeal it per the contact details you have provided amd if the likes of BHP are playing silly buggers, your are drawing attention to it with the governing body

That's right, if you think you are not being treated fairly first of all mention these rulings (take a printout) then if you still aren't happy follow the link then email the appeals people, if BPH keeps being mentioned something will be done. I work as a medic so see loads of medicals and there are very few 1 year ones being issued since the ruling changed and when they are it is usually obvious why! I would still rather use Bangkok Rayong though as I hate giving more of my money to people who have ripped me off before

That's right, if you think you are not being treated fairly first of all mention these rulings (take a printout) then if you still aren't happy follow the link then email the appeals people, if BPH keeps being mentioned something will be done. I work as a medic so see loads of medicals and there are very few 1 year ones being issued since the ruling changed and when they are it is usually obvious why! I would still rather use Bangkok Rayong though as I hate giving more of my money to people who have ripped me off before

Fact is BPH and Bangkok Rayong hosptial are the same group, so if you feel you have been ripped off once at BPH, your still "giving" money to the same group of people by doing it at Bangkok Rayong.

I cannot argue with that and it is probably a pointless thing but it will make me feel better, Doctor Newin was mentioned last year by a few guys who said he routinely gave out the correct medicals so I would use him if it was up to me and possible, it has been very quiet about him this year so maybe he has moved or retired....

I have had a very interesting chat with a lady from the Norwegian Maritime Authority today reference NMD medicals at BPH. Turns out rather unsurprisingly that they are aware of problems with foreign doctors incorrectly giving out 1 year medicals and it is a big problem in Asia

'Good morning,

With reference to our telephone conversation. Please find contact information to the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok on this website. The embassy is responsible for approving seafarer’s doctors who issue medical certificates for work on Norwegian vessels.

Validity of medical certificates is mentioned in § 5 in Regulations of 5 June 2014 No. 805 on medical examination of employees on Norwegian ships and mobile offshore units. A medical certificate shall be issued for two years, unless the seafarer’s doctor finds a reason for limitation or restriction. In that case the seafarer’s doctor shall specify the limitation/restriction on the medical certificate.

Should you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

S

P.O. Box 2222

Direct: +47 52 74 52 56

Adviser

N-5509 Haugesund, Norway

Working and Living Conditions

Telephone: +47 52 74 50 00

www.sjofartsdir.no

I also mentioned that BPH often wrongly tell you that you need to have fasting blood tests and an ECG which all have to be paid for the lady suggested taking a printout of the Medical form I attached the link to yesterday as this is what the Doctor is required to fill in for the medical and clearly states what is required and what is not ie, no need for Bloods and ECG's and if you are only visiting Thailand and usually live in the EU or US then Xray is also not usually required

If you get no joy there then the in-depth link to the medical gives specific illnesses and conditions and what they should be classed as in the medical, it is quite specific and in general if it is an unmedicated condition generally you should be given a full ticket

Good luck and I will let you know how I get on and if anybody else is getting 1 year tickets that they think are wrong then it is well worth dropping the NMD and the embassy a line as it is the only way to stop this

Ps I have had an email from BPH about the NMD medical and it is now 9500baht so it is a large chunk of money especially if they can get you doing it every year....

Edited to add the link to the pdf containing the in-depth medical and table of conditions:

http://www.sjofartsd...al-examination/

http://www.sjofartsdir.no/PageFiles/362/5%20June%202014%20No.%20805%20Medical%20examination%20of%20employees%20on%20Norwegian%20ships%20and%20mobile%20offshore%20units.pdf

Edited by mark131v

I have had a very interesting chat with a lady from the Norwegian Maritime Authority today reference NMD medicals at BPH. Turns out rather unsurprisingly that they are aware of problems with foreign doctors incorrectly giving out 1 year medicals and it is a big problem in Asia

'Good morning,

With reference to our telephone conversation. Please find contact information to the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Bangkok on this website. The embassy is responsible for approving seafarer’s doctors who issue medical certificates for work on Norwegian vessels.

Validity of medical certificates is mentioned in § 5 in Regulations of 5 June 2014 No. 805 on medical examination of employees on Norwegian ships and mobile offshore units. A medical certificate shall be issued for two years, unless the seafarer’s doctor finds a reason for limitation or restriction. In that case the seafarer’s doctor shall specify the limitation/restriction on the medical certificate.

Should you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

S

P.O. Box 2222

Direct: +47 52 74 52 56

Adviser

N-5509 Haugesund, Norway

Working and Living Conditions

Telephone: +47 52 74 50 00

www.sjofartsdir.no

I also mentioned that BPH often wrongly tell you that you need to have fasting blood tests and an ECG which all have to be paid for the lady suggested taking a printout of the Medical form I attached the link to yesterday as this is what the Doctor is required to fill in for the medical and clearly states what is required and what is not ie, no need for Bloods and ECG's and if you are only visiting Thailand and usually live in the EU or US then Xray is also not usually required

If you get no joy there then the in-depth link to the medical gives specific illnesses and conditions and what they should be classed as in the medical, it is quite specific and in general if it is an unmedicated condition generally you should be given a full ticket

Good luck and I will let you know how I get on and if anybody else is getting 1 year tickets that they think are wrong then it is well worth dropping the NMD and the embassy a line as it is the only way to stop this

Ps I have had an email from BPH about the NMD medical and it is now 9500baht so it is a large chunk of money especially if they can get you doing it every year....

Edited to add the link to the pdf containing the in-depth medical and table of conditions:

http://www.sjofartsd...al-examination/

http://www.sjofartsdir.no/PageFiles/362/5%20June%202014%20No.%20805%20Medical%20examination%20of%20employees%20on%20Norwegian%20ships%20and%20mobile%20offshore%20units.pdf

Good info but a couple of comments: employees on Norwegian ships and mobile offshore units

Outside the jurisdiction highlighted above, its down to the individual operator or country concerned to decide what is acceptable as regards an offshore medical, out side of the Norwegian jurisdiction, Norway has no say in what is acceptable or not, for example in Thai waters, an annual full medical exam is required by law, and does include, blood, ECG's, X-rays, plus a whole heap to other stuff, therefore the stock NMD medical would not be accepted as you have detailed, by the operator or under Thai offshore law, further the likes of PETRONAS, although they accept a 2 year medical certificate, you still need a full medical, e.g. blood work, ECG's, X-ray so on face value the NWD medical as stated would not be accepted by PETRONAS either

The point being, if your not working under the Norwegian jurisdiction, you need to find out what is or isn't accepted by the country or operator your working for as what you have detailed my not be acceptable in a specific jurisdiction, a NMD medical does not override any local requirements everywhere is the world it doesn't.

• Like 1

In my experience a PETRONAS medical is one of a few separate medicals usually required for specific projects and roles and prolonged stays in specific areas, I am no expert on this and have never had a PETRONAS medical or anything other than a bog standard NMD/UKOG/Eng 1

If you work globally on a Seismic boat and you are only required to have a NMD medical unless there are other flag state stipulations (for example full drugs check) which the company should make you aware of then the details I have added are correct

I have worked all over but always on boats so I have no knowledge about rigs and working for prolonged periods in the GoT so I do not know the rules for that, I have however worked off Thailand before and have not needed anything other than the standard NMD medical