Property Prices

OP, I believe you are specifically talking about property in Australia for those living in Thailand...correct?

I own 2 properties each in two SE States of Aus. Both are CBD fringe in the best suburbs.

I live on that passive income and would NEVER consider selling to buy over here.

Partly what's driven Aus house prices up is Chinese investment.

They are parking there money in a politically stable country with transparent banking regulation.

I'm happily married living in Bangkok. Yes, it's possibly to make money here in property but I won't....much safer keeping the $$$'s in Aus.

What I'm trying to get across Blackfox is that property in Australia is very reasonably priced when comparing it to what you get in Thailand.

Malcolm,

Got it now.

I agree with you 100%.

An old shop house near home in BKK on a major road, poorly positioned has been advertised for 12M. I was aghast.

I was in Sydney 2 weeks ago and checked out listed properties and went to several actions. Yes, Sydney is a hot market but still better buying than BKK.

That's another reason why I would not buy here.

An old shop house near home in BKK on a major road, poorly positioned has been advertised for 12M. I was aghast.

I was in Sydney 2 weeks ago and checked out listed properties and went to several actions. Yes, Sydney is a hot market but still better buying than BKK.

I know for a fact that I could have bought a much better sea-view condo in Spain for the same money that I paid for one in Jomtien. And the prospects for capital appreciation in Spain are much greater than they are here.

Trouble is, I don't want to live in Spain.

• Like 1

I know for a fact that I could have bought a much better sea-view condo in Spain for the same money that I paid for one in Jomtien. And the prospects for capital appreciation in Spain are much greater than they are here.

Trouble is, I don't want to live in Spain.

KK,

Would you not be better then buying that condo in Spain, and renting if possible, then getting greater capital appreciation and renting here?

I honestly don't know exactly, but because of that I've decided to keep my money in Aus where there is sound rental yield, appreciation, and far better liquidity than here in Thailand if I need to sell.

Would you not be better then buying that condo in Spain, and renting if possible, then getting greater capital appreciation and renting here?

That could be a good option for many people, certainly, and was one that I considered (along with buying elsewhere in Europe/UK and doing the same thing).

In my particular case, apart from tax issues, I didnt fancy the hassle of owning rental property located more than a short drive from where I live, and the only reason I bought here at all was because it was the only way I could continue living in the condo I had been renting for several years and which suited me very nicely. I just calculated that if I do have to take a capital hit on my condo here some day it is unlikely to be more than perhaps the cost of a decent pick-up at most.

Otherwise I would happily have continued renting here indefinitely.

• Like 1

I've never understood the urge to own property in Thailand, when rents are so cheap and political stability so fickle.

Happily rented for more than twenty-eight years, so probably never will understand it now.

Well, perhaps I can provide you with why we (my wife) owns property in Thailand.

First of all, we don't rent because we don't live in Thailand. So no matter how cheap rents are I have no reason to rent at this point in my life.

Second, we have 3 children which will eventually inherit all of what my wife owns which consists of an acre of beach front land in Nakhon Si Thammarat and a townhouse in Ao Nang, Krabi.

So now I'm set when I retire to enjoy life on both the Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand. The properties are fully paid for so the only thing left to do is build on the beach front land when I move to Thailand.

That's my 2 baht worth of why we own property in Thailand.

• Like 1

I've never understood the urge to own property in Thailand, when rents are so cheap and political stability so fickle.

Happily rented for more than twenty-eight years, so probably never will understand it now.

Well, perhaps I can provide you with why we (my wife) owns property in Thailand.

First of all, we don't rent because we don't live in Thailand. So no matter how cheap rents are I have no reason to rent at this point in my life.

Second, we have 3 children which will eventually inherit all of what my wife owns which consists of an acre of beach front land in Nakhon Si Thammarat and a townhouse in Ao Nang, Krabi.

So now I'm set when I retire to enjoy life on both the Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand. The properties are fully paid for so the only thing left to do is build on the beach front land when I move to Thailand.

What your wife owns.....how about what you own?

As I and others have previously posted, I'd rather keep assets outside of the country that will be safer and stronger for the benefit of 3 children in the future.

Whilst it is somewhat relevant, let's not turn this thread into yet another rent vs. buy argument.

Some of us rent, some of us (ok our better halves) have bought, we all make out own decisions based upon our particular circumstances.

But the cardinal rule is, as always, "Don't invest in Thailand more than you can afford to walk away from".

EDIT I've started a rent don't buy thread just for the hijackers http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/819665-reasons-why-one-should-rent-and-not-buy-property-in-thailand/

• Like 2

What your wife owns.....how about what you own?

As I and others have previously posted, I'd rather keep assets outside of the country that will be safer and stronger for the benefit of 3 children in the future.

What I own is a property America. I'd rather spread my assets around the same as I do for my 401k retirement account. By the way, the beach front land has more than doubled in value since 2007.

• Like 2