22,000 Collectors Declare 150 Tonnes of Ivory

post-231994-0-83992000-1429560150_thumb.

'Following the news of the $6 million seizure of ivory tusks in Bangkok, the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department has announced that 150 tonnes of ivory items have been declared to the authorities from over 22,000 collectors. Among the collectors are prominent businesspeople and politicians. The people of Thailand have until Tuesday to legally declare their ivory assets.

Under the new elephant ivory law, collectors are required to declare their possessions to the authorities. Collectors have until April 21st to declare any ivory assets they may have. Anyone in possession of undeclared ivory may face a fine of up to 3 million baht.

Thus far, the public has been very cooperative in declaring their ivory assets to the agency. According to Nipon Chotiban, director-general of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, between 500-700 people have come forth to declare their possessions daily.

Under the new law, ivory traders are required to obtain the appropriate license to sell ivory by registering with the department. The ivory must be obtained from domesticated elephants as the sale of ivory from African elephants is strictly prohibited. Anyone caught selling ivory from African elephants may face fines of up to 6 million baht and 3 years in prison.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-20

150 tonnes!

That's ivory from roughly 125,000 elephants. That's pretty scary considering it's the amount that has been declared!

I worked that out from the average weight of the tusks in 1970, which was 12 kg.

In 1990 it was 3 kg.

The problem is that there are licenced ivory operators, now that indicates that Thailand has no intention of stamping out this trade, also they are not alone, Vietnam just had a big haul in customs, so the number of elephants killed is far more than what goes through Thailand and that is my point, unless there is zero tolerance you are wasting your time as one dead elephant is one to many, the only reason I can see for the issue of licences is that it is controlled by the top end of town, prove me wrong P.M.Prayut - O coffee1.gif

Currently in Thailand it's perfectly legal to sell ivory from domestic elephants. But the numbers just don't add up. Experts estimate that Thailand might legitimately have about 2,000 pounds of ivory to sell within the country, but Thai border authorities confiscate over ten tons of ivory being smuggled out of the country each year. Clearly something's amiss. http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/04/12/ivory-trade-thailand-ban-dead-elephants

Currently there it has been estimated that fewer than 5000 wild and domesticated elephants remain in Thailand. http://www.cites.org/sites/default/files/eng/com/sc/65/E-SC65-42-09.pdf

Out of all the articles this must be the most sickening. I hope the general will have the sense to round up all these so-called collectors, parade them on TV, and then throw them in jail. Thailand is supposed to be a Buddist country where all animals are sacred, but apparently not when there is baht to be made.

• Like 1

I wonder who would still want to own ivory.

Americans and Chinese, by the tons.

It's an industry that needs to be eliminated. Ban the sale of Ivory so we can stop the barbaric practice of butchering noble elephants for their overgrown molars.